Sale vs Leicester - 21st February 2020

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Sale vs Leicester - 21st February 2020

Post by JP14 »

Yarde played really well, maybe an England recall is on the cards if he keeps playing like that week in, week out. Although in my opinion his final try was a forward pass.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Someone said ''Coaching'' !!!!!?????

What blinking Coaching ???

Murphy should do us all a favour and apply to coach Naas.. please Geordan, please ???
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

tigerssteve wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:03 am
Big Dai wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:35 pm What does it matter? We'll all be here next year, typing away. Hoping against hope there will be one team worse than us so we can genuinely avoid relegation rather than have salvation gifted by a bunch of talented cheats.

The game I knew has gone. It's so sad that professionalism has brought us to this.
Blimey! Bit late to start blaming professionalism! The game I knew has gone too but not sure professionalism is to blame. Health and safety, though clearly important, has had a bigger impact. I used to love a good rake of a man on the wrong side it's what he deserved for being there but that's gone with so many great aspects of our physical game, none of them to do with professionalism. In my humble opinion.
If not professionalism then the professional era I suppose I meant. The money side of things has a lot to answer for..... Club games when internationals are on, the autumn international schedule, the endless merry go round of players in and out of contract not to mention salary caps etc. Non of this would happen if our physical game, as it was, and I quite like your observations there too, had stayed amateur.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Doesn’t help either that when the internationals are away, our recruitment in the backs has been awful. I rate Taute and think he’s a good player, despite his injury problems. However, Reid, Viljoen and McPhillips have done nothing this season. Compounded by the fact that Eastmond is either injured or his form is very temperamental.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Reid was the best thing since sliced bread last week, how things change.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

tigerssteve wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:06 am
manxleigh wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:18 pm Do we have any backs moves we can execute other than through 3/4 sets of hands then kick it away or get turned over? Loops, wrap arounds - anyone remember them?
Is that something to do with knitting perhaps?
Pass one, carry one ....
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Some one has said it P45's
If I am not up to the role for which I am employed. I either go into remedial training or shown the door.
Why are professional sports persons across all sports treated as "untouchables" We can all have an off day. When the off days become the norm - then something is wrong. At present we are saying its down to coaching - The internationals are away. The ref was poor. Recruitment and retention has been poor. We are awaiting the Saviour SB.

NO NO NO Some one say it as it is - YOU HAVE TO GO - YOUR NOT GOOD ENOUGH. :smt013 :smt013
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

The Tigers are rotten to the core, a BOD who put the club up for sale adding huge waves of uncertainty and don’t find a suitable buyer, crack on with the comical hotel and car park plans when you have a stand that is old and creaking and not fit for purpose.

They have persisted in backing GM who is massively out of his depth and promote him to DOR, just a joke. A group of coaches with there own egos and agendas that have all been failures elsewhere, accept for Stanko!!

No leaders or structure on the pitch.

Awful recruitment for how many seasons now, we sign the wash outs, injured and pay cheque hunters, where’s the young hungry talent who will actually give a about the tigers shirt and history.

I hope SB can add his stamp to this joke of a club, it has completely fallen from grace and is the laughing stock of the premiership!!

Relegation is probably what is required but sadly that won’t be happening!!
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

baz1664 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:06 am The Tigers are rotten to the core, a BOD who put the club up for sale adding huge waves of uncertainty and don’t find a suitable buyer, crack on with the comical hotel and car park plans when you have a stand that is old and creaking and not fit for purpose.

They have persisted in backing GM who is massively out of his depth and promote him to DOR, just a joke. A group of coaches with there own egos and agendas that have all been failures elsewhere, accept for Stanko!!

No leaders or structure on the pitch.

Awful recruitment for how many seasons now, we sign the wash outs, injured and pay cheque hunters, where’s the young hungry talent who will actually give a about the tigers shirt and history.

I hope SB can add his stamp to this joke of a club, it has completely fallen from grace and is the laughing stock of the premiership!!

Relegation is probably what is required but sadly that won’t be happening!!
And there is the root of our problems. We have changed players and coaches like underwear yet the same faces at the top who have overseen the transition from European and English champions to the worst team in the league remain.
I'm not cynical just experienced
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

A sleep (and a bottle of Merlot) later...

1. Taute was a game changing loss
2. Reid and McPhillips are not Premiership-standard 10 & 12
3. Steve Borthwick is coming in as Head Coach. Forget what you hear/see about Geordan still running the side. It will be Borthwick's boys playing to Borthwick's direction that you see on the pitch. Think of Geordan as a great DoR in his formative (rather painful) years!

Oh and, the Merlot came before the sleep!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

strawclearer wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:18 am A sleep (and a bottle of Merlot) later...

3. Steve Borthwick is coming in as Head Coach. Forget what you hear/see about Geordan still running the side. It will be Borthwick's boys playing to Borthwick's direction that you see on the pitch. Think of Geordan as a great DoR in his formative (rather painful) years!

Agree with above albeit I think Reid has played well on other occasions, but not last night.

Oh, and maybe swapping Merlot for Merlin will help more ☺
As Good As It Gets
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:53 am
tigerssteve wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:31 am
sam16111986 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:03 am

Our 18 year old scrum half played a lot better than the senior scrum half who came off the bench.

5:2 split because we expected a tough forwards battle in poor conditions. The fact we lost the only back we couldn't afford to lose in Taute was unlucky and we really don't have a like for like replacement as Viljoen has turned out to be a bit of a dud. I was disappointed to see Reffell go off so early he was a bright spark on a bleak evening.

Munched their pack? Their pack is a) massive and b) heavily reinforced on previous seasons. Gone are the days when Sale weren't spending up to the cap and iffy up front. The Bok and Cooper-Wooley are two experienced and high quality props. Yes having Gigena would have been useful but Bateman is the normal second choice loosehead and he just didn't turn up. Captain Cole had his worst game this season as well. Leatigaga is just as happy at loose and he is at tighthead. As seen by our scrum improving when he came on.

We imploded after Taute went off and our midfield defence just fell apart. JPV isn't the quickest box kicker but the lack of protection from our forwards isn't good enough and they clearly had a rollicking at half time. The fact that neither of our two experienced playmakers stood up and took the responsibility off the young lad didn't help. Reid and McPhillips were if I'm being generous poor.
It was horrible to watch, especially after Taute went it was clear we were vulnerable through the middle. I think the reason for the split was that GM was hoping to gradually sneak them on without taking anyone off, thus levelling up the forward battle. We are still the weakest side in the Premiership, saved from relegation by Salarycens.
Player for player ,we are not the weakest side in the premiership.That is the frustrating thing about Leicester's plight right now...

Again , its been mentioned before but the contrast in the changing rooms at half time was illuminating ; believe you can see why there is no structure or organisation on the pitch.We were once the epitome of professionalism in every facet of our sport, now the opposite is true.
Personally I can never accept that a tanning as witnessed last night is or was on the cards.The very least any professional club in any sport should be is competitive.S**t happens though , best move on but remember the lessons and what they mean and how they feel.Only then can you/we actually learn something , and only those lessons can be taken from last nights game.
Best beat Worcester.
Half time saw the Sale players casually taking on fluids whilst Diamond talked. Our changing room had the coaches talking to their areas of expertise with the players listening with interest. Boris was talking to the front row, Ford was talking at length to Reid and McPhillips.
strawclearer wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:18 am A sleep (and a bottle of Merlot) later...

Agree Borthwick is his own man there's not going to be any standing around being talked over. What's worrying it was the attack that was the biggest problem I hope Ford Snr takes on that rumoured role in the States during the summer as whatever he's doing it's not working.

Agree on McPhillips and Reid. Reid seems like someone who can provide the glue in the midfield but needs some quality either side. McPhillips just looks like a Championship player.
nasher

Post by nasher »

My opinion is that the BOD are only looking at the finances and some senior players their international careers, no one is concerned about the abysmal way we play. The Board console themselves that a) I am selling up so why bother and b) at least we will have a hotel and car park, which they think is more important.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

In the space of 8 days, Sarries beat Sale beat Tigers beat Wasps beat Sarries. The one consistency is the home team won each time.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:43 pm In the space of 8 days, Sarries beat Sale beat Tigers beat Wasps beat Sarries. The one consistency is the home team won each time.
I cannot explain how Wasps beat Sarries.

Having watched us play all season I think we are truly lucky that Sarries have got themselves relegated.
We were lucky not to be relegated last season.
Unless Borthwick is given a free hand we will go down next season.

Murphy talking about taking 3 years to build a team seems more about how long it might take for him to become a capable premiership coach. Or is it how long it might take for the careers of influential players to come to an end?