Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Sale vs Leicester - 21st February 2020

Post by wellstiger »

My problem is GM as DRO.
Were expecting SB to turn this ship around - bet he has one hand and a leg tied behind his back.
I for one cannot see us getting away from this predicament. The squad has had so many "New brooms" but the :censored: just keeps piling up.

We were never going to overturn Sale at the AJB on a wet Friday night.
My beloved Tigers are now utterly toothless and clawless.
The hurt is palpable :smt013
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

wellstiger wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:22 am My problem is GM as DRO.
Were expecting SB to turn this ship around - bet he has one hand and a leg tied behind his back.
I for one cannot see us getting away from this predicament. The squad has had so many "New brooms" but the :censored: just keeps piling up.

We were never going to overturn Sale at the AJB on a wet Friday night.
My beloved Tigers are now utterly toothless and clawless.
The hurt is palpable :smt013
I have a great deal of sympathy with this post!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

mol2 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:44 pm Win against Wasps and we suddenly were a side transformed?

Without our internationals and two back rows injured we were always up against it. So why start an 18 year old at scrum half?

Why have a 5:2 split on the bench?

Our scrum were out of sorts. On a day like this we should have munched their pack but didn’t. How on earth did we not sort out our back up loose head’s work permit and end up playing 3 tight heads and starting Bateman our 3rd string loose head with no proper bench cover?

Their first 2 tries were of our own making. No pillars at the ruck and a debutant at 9 followed by an international wing stepping out of the line and opening the door for Yarde. After that we imploded.

Borthwick has a lot of work to do to keep us up next season.
Our 18 year old scrum half played a lot better than the senior scrum half who came off the bench.

5:2 split because we expected a tough forwards battle in poor conditions. The fact we lost the only back we couldn't afford to lose in Taute was unlucky and we really don't have a like for like replacement as Viljoen has turned out to be a bit of a dud. I was disappointed to see Reffell go off so early he was a bright spark on a bleak evening.

Munched their pack? Their pack is a) massive and b) heavily reinforced on previous seasons. Gone are the days when Sale weren't spending up to the cap and iffy up front. The Bok and Cooper-Wooley are two experienced and high quality props. Yes having Gigena would have been useful but Bateman is the normal second choice loosehead and he just didn't turn up. Captain Cole had his worst game this season as well. Leatigaga is just as happy at loose and he is at tighthead. As seen by our scrum improving when he came on.

We imploded after Taute went off and our midfield defence just fell apart. JPV isn't the quickest box kicker but the lack of protection from our forwards isn't good enough and they clearly had a rollicking at half time. The fact that neither of our two experienced playmakers stood up and took the responsibility off the young lad didn't help. Reid and McPhillips were if I'm being generous poor.
tigerssteve

Post by tigerssteve »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:03 am
mol2 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:44 pm Win against Wasps and we suddenly were a side transformed?

Without our internationals and two back rows injured we were always up against it. So why start an 18 year old at scrum half?

Our scrum were out of sorts. On a day like this we should have munched their pack but didn’t. How on earth did we not sort out our back up loose head’s work permit and end up playing 3 tight heads and starting Bateman our 3rd string loose head with no proper bench cover?

Their first 2 tries were of our own making. No pillars at the ruck and a debutant at 9 followed by an international wing stepping out of the line and opening the door for Yarde. After that we imploded.

Our 18 year old scrum half played a lot better than the senior scrum half who came off the bench.

5:2 split because we expected a tough forwards battle in poor conditions. The fact we lost the only back we couldn't afford to lose in Taute was unlucky and we really don't have a like for like replacement as Viljoen has turned out to be a bit of a dud. I was disappointed to see Reffell go off so early he was a bright spark on a bleak evening.

Munched their pack? Their pack is a) massive and b) heavily reinforced on previous seasons. Gone are the days when Sale weren't spending up to the cap and iffy up front. The Bok and Cooper-Wooley are two experienced and high quality props. Yes having Gigena would have been useful but Bateman is the normal second choice loosehead and he just didn't turn up. Captain Cole had his worst game this season as well. Leatigaga is just as happy at loose and he is at tighthead. As seen by our scrum improving when he came on.

We imploded after Taute went off and our midfield defence just fell apart. JPV isn't the quickest box kicker but the lack of protection from our forwards isn't good enough and they clearly had a rollicking at half time. The fact that neither of our two experienced playmakers stood up and took the responsibility off the young lad didn't help. Reid and McPhillips were if I'm being generous poor.
It was horrible to watch, especially after Taute went it was clear we were vulnerable through the middle. I think the reason for the split was that GM was hoping to gradually sneak them on without taking anyone off, thus levelling up the forward battle. We are still the weakest side in the Premiership, saved from relegation by Salarycens.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:35 pm Very poor, move on.
Sale very good wouldn’t bet against an Exeter v Sale final in June
Possibly but Sale need to be more consistent, last night was a great performance for them but they played quite poorly last week against Saracens.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Minus the box-kick because that was poor forwards protection and a great charge down by Bryn Evans, I was quite impressed by JVP.

The result was predictable, I envisioned a Sale win by 20 and was more or less on the money. Just hope we beat the bogey team.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Well we weren’t thrashed 60-10...
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

tigerssteve wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:31 am
sam16111986 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:03 am

It was horrible to watch, especially after Taute went it was clear we were vulnerable through the middle. I think the reason for the split was that GM was hoping to gradually sneak them on without taking anyone off, thus levelling up the forward battle. We are still the weakest side in the Premiership, saved from relegation by Salarycens.
Player for player ,we are not the weakest side in the premiership.That is the frustrating thing about Leicester's plight right now...

Again , its been mentioned before but the contrast in the changing rooms at half time was illuminating ; believe you can see why there is no structure or organisation on the pitch.We were once the epitome of professionalism in every facet of our sport, now the opposite is true.
Personally I can never accept that a tanning as witnessed last night is or was on the cards.The very least any professional club in any sport should be is competitive.S**t happens though , best move on but remember the lessons and what they mean and how they feel.Only then can you/we actually learn something , and only those lessons can be taken from last nights game.
Best beat Worcester.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

When Borthwick’s appointment was announced there was much debate about the respective roles of DOR and HC. I fell into the ‘names don’t matter, it’s what you do’ camp. If SB is happy with the roles as defined, I’m happy.’ I’ve changed.

I can’t see any reason, based on the evidence since Sept 2018 why Murphy will be allowed anywhere near the coaching set up in future years in any capacity. It is not that he is inexperienced, but that he is incompetent. I don’t use the word incompetent as a slur, but in its truest form: The evidence is that he does not possess the skills, knowledge, personal attributes to successfully undertake a required task.

I cannot understand why he is untouchable and accommodations are made. It is not personal. He was a fine player. He is a great club man. So too were Richards & Cockerill.

In interview prior to the Wasps game he made barbed references to those who have been critical of him and about “finding out who your friends are.” It’s a hackneyed cliché, and simply highlights his unsuitability for the role. It is not about being a friend. It’s about being truthful. It is about being competent in role. If Tigers are to return to the top table, they need to be hard headed and single minded, and avoid wooly compromises.

Without Saracens, Tigers would be relegated this season. I have no reason to think that any club in the premiership is going to be markedly weaker next season. I am fearful that in Feb 2021, Tigers will be 11th /12th, and Murphy will be bemoaning the fact we’ve had players away on England duty, been unlucky with injuries etc. Meanwhile the gossip will be that Murphy and Borthwick don’t see eye to eye, there is confusion about playing style, recruitment and selection, and player cliques.
tigerssteve

Post by tigerssteve »

Big Dai wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:35 pm What does it matter? We'll all be here next year, typing away. Hoping against hope there will be one team worse than us so we can genuinely avoid relegation rather than have salvation gifted by a bunch of talented cheats.

The game I knew has gone. It's so sad that professionalism has brought us to this.
Blimey! Bit late to start blaming professionalism! The game I knew has gone too but not sure professionalism is to blame. Health and safety, though clearly important, has had a bigger impact. I used to love a good rake of a man on the wrong side it's what he deserved for being there but that's gone with so many great aspects of our physical game, none of them to do with professionalism. In my humble opinion.
tigerssteve

Post by tigerssteve »

manxleigh wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:18 pm Do we have any backs moves we can execute other than through 3/4 sets of hands then kick it away or get turned over? Loops, wrap arounds - anyone remember them?
Is that something to do with knitting perhaps?
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Looking forward to seeing the team coached by someone who knows what they're actually doing but worried that long term, we're promoting GM to an even more senior role when he's so patently ill-equipped to fulfill that role. I know this is going to sound incredibly harsh but if you can't manage a restaurant then what qualifies you to 'direct' England's most successful rugby club. I really don't understand his retention and no one outside of Tigers board does. It's borderline comical.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
cheltexile

Post by cheltexile »

POSTIGER wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:25 am Looking forward to seeing the team coached by someone who knows what they're actually doing but worried that long term, we're promoting GM to an even more senior role when he's so patently ill-equipped to fulfill that role. I know this is going to sound incredibly harsh but if you can't manage a restaurant then what qualifies you to 'direct' England's most successful rugby club. I really don't understand his retention and no one outside of Tigers board does. It's borderline comical.
It's because he has 'a vision'. Literally nobody seems to know what this vision is, but apparently thats good enough to give him a promotion instead of a P45.
Baz

Sale vs Leicester - 21st February 2020

Post by Baz »

What an utterly inept performance. Tigers are already playing like a (poor) championship side. Dai Young is eased out after a dip in Wasps' fortunes; Murphy is promoted after the worst coaching record in Premiership history! Unless Steve Borthwick can work a miracle, the reprieve will mean nothing, and Tigers will be scratching around at the bottom of the table again next season. The coaching shortcomings are evident to any fan. Only Murphy deludes himself into thinking that things are improving week-on-week.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

cheltexile wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:32 am
POSTIGER wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:25 am Looking forward to seeing the team coached by someone who knows what they're actually doing but worried that long term, we're promoting GM to an even more senior role when he's so patently ill-equipped to fulfill that role. I know this is going to sound incredibly harsh but if you can't manage a restaurant then what qualifies you to 'direct' England's most successful rugby club. I really don't understand his retention and no one outside of Tigers board does. It's borderline comical.
It's because he has 'a vision'. Literally nobody seems to know what this vision is, but apparently thats good enough to give him a promotion instead of a P45.
You know this for a fact do you?