SARRIES FUTURE

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Noggs
Super User
Super User

Re: SARRIES FUTURE

Post by Noggs »

johnthegriff wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:48 am My understanding is that they have to demonstrate that they have conformed to the salary cap for TWO years, that might be tricky. They will also have show that their ground meets Premiership standards, that also may be tricky.
Totally agree. Unless the current rules are changed or waived (and why should they be) if they win the Championship next year they fall at the first hurdle. That means they are looking at a minimum of 2 years in the Championship and who knows, at the end of that period the Premiership may well have raised the drawbridge.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

They have so many advantages in facilities, funding, catchment area etc (plus that horrible plastic pitch) that they won't struggle for long, can easily see them contesting the title in their first season back. Now that everybody spends up to the cap anyway thanks to our new corporate overlords it won't really matter that their fanbase is tiny.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Instead of their players, we would be far better off poaching their entire coaching team. And Wray, to boot....Now that he has learnt his lesson.
A friend in SA reckons Sale could be paying extra in Rand for their African stars. Allegedly and without prejudice, of course !! I told him he was telling porkies, but there you go...
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

fortysix wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:18 pm Instead of their players, we would be far better off poaching their entire coaching team. And Wray, to boot....Now that he has learnt his lesson.
A friend in SA reckons Sale could be paying extra in Rand for their African stars. Allegedly and without prejudice, of course !! I told him he was telling porkies, but there you go...
mmmm sounds very similar to how Sarries started
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I wonder if this means Saracens can play a game against Crusaders which is what has been bated for by some on social media.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

JP14 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:13 am I wonder if this means Saracens can play a game against Crusaders which is what has been bated for by some on social media.
heard the rumor of the 'star friendly' played in a championship season , but exactly what type of side will Sarries be left with to put out for such an occasion ? How meaningful would such a game be ? What purpose would it serve ?
It would certainly make a little extra cash for some lucky people , but with hindsight maybe that's not the greatest idea right now.. :smt002 ........
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

It wouldn’t be meaningful but it would sell quite well, especially if Sarries are looking for a team to replace Harlequins at the new Spurs ground.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

They'll be back. Ironically their cheating has established a solid enough club infrastructure to survive and recover.

They will of course be a weaker force as a result and may struggle to re-establish themselves as one of the most dominant teams in the Prem/CL.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

fortysix wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:18 pm Instead of their players, we would be far better off poaching their entire coaching team. And Wray, to boot....Now that he has learnt his lesson.
I'm sure it's gone up but Sale's total wage bill (total, not just salary cap) was not so long ago at £6.5 million, around half that at Tigers. Why on earth would they need to hide payments?
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

h's dad wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:23 pm
I'm sure it's gone up but Sale's total wage bill (total, not just salary cap) was not so long ago at £6.5 million, around half that at Tigers. Why on earth would they need to hide payments?
If that's so then we should question why we dont seem to get as much bang for our buck as other clubs.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Noggs wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:40 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:48 am My understanding is that they have to demonstrate that they have conformed to the salary cap for TWO years, that might be tricky. They will also have show that their ground meets Premiership standards, that also may be tricky.
Totally agree. Unless the current rules are changed or waived (and why should they be) if they win the Championship next year they fall at the first hurdle. That means they are looking at a minimum of 2 years in the Championship and who knows, at the end of that period the Premiership may well have raised the drawbridge.
Have either of you actually read the salary cap rules? Clearly not. Perhaps you should, it might clear up a few misunderstandings...

Sarries will be back in a year, they won't fade away and be forgotten. I honestly think some of you people live on a different planet.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:13 am
Noggs wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:40 pm
Have either of you actually read the salary cap rules? Clearly not. Perhaps you should, it might clear up a few misunderstandings...

Sarries will be back in a year, they won't fade away and be forgotten. I honestly think some of you people live on a different planet.
Perhaps you could enlighten us?

With reference to the salary cap rules, quotes from the pertinent sections and explanations? Your expertise in the matter is clearly superior and some of us are so in need of bringing up to scratch.

I eagerly await the merest opportunity to bask in the glory of your munificence.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

^^^👍 quite!
Valhalla I am coming!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Tiglon you may not have noticed but Saracens have actually been punished for breaching salary cap rules over several seasons including this one. Rules for promotion from the Championship do state that the promoted team has been compliant with the Premiership salary cap for the twp previous years, agree that a lawyer may find some way of making that an ambiguous qualification but to me the spirit and intention of the wording is clear.
Ground qualification I believe requires that capacity is in excess of 10,000, all seated stands should be covered and that the club should be able to host games at all times requested by television coverage (which in my opinion includes Friday nights) In the event of ground share match clashes an alternative ground conforming to Premiership rules should be nominated.
I remember that there are several pages of rules covering access to toilets and medical facilities that I am sure Saracens comply with by use of portaloos and portacabins.
It is unfortunate that the Premiership whilst demanding certain standards from teams qualifying for promotion have allowed certain existing members to remain in grounds that do not meet the criteria.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:22 pm
It is unfortunate that the Premiership whilst demanding certain standards from teams qualifying for promotion have allowed certain existing members to remain in grounds that do not meet the criteria.
It has been one way o keeping the premiership a closed shop over the years.