SARRIES FUTURE

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

SARRIES FUTURE

Post by fortysix »

What are the Forums thoughts about Salarycens future. A good friend told me that in Rugby circles, it is thought that they will never recover, and will just disappear off the radar. Will anyone outside Barnet shed a tear !!!?
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Re: SARRIES FUTURE

Post by Robespierre »

Yes! Saracens is one of the oldest clubs in the country whose reputation has only recently been tarred. A year in the second tier should give them the opportunity of rebuilding and hopefully regaining their place in the Premiership on an honest basis. Other top clubs will be more than aware of Saracens fate and will surely be more attentive to their financial affairs.
Semper in excretia
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

I can't see them doing anything other than immediately getting promoted and then probably contesting the next premiership title
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Except they will be losing players, sponsors and no doubt some fans. It probably will be more difficult than you think.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

If RFU are halving the funding to the Championship, will Sarries be able to survive? :smt017
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

LE18 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:58 pm If RFU are halving the funding to the Championship, will Sarries be able to survive? :smt017
Considering Wray is still bankrolling the club I would say so
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

kpj tiger wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:59 pm
LE18 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:58 pm If RFU are halving the funding to the Championship, will Sarries be able to survive? :smt017
But he's not now is he?
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

LE18 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:02 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:59 pm
But he's not now is he?
He is, he's just not CEO
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

No matter what everyone says about Saracens the players that stay will, as usual, be very well coached. Look at Saturdays result v Sale. Incredible performance.
I’m going to Sarries for the Tigers game. Often go to The Allianz as the fans are a good lot and I admire the way the coaches there develop either local talent or those they sign.
My main grip is with those at The RFU who said Sarries punishment shows that The Premiership always wants a “ level playing field!” Well whilst England squad players miss up to a third of the season ( in our case with Tuilagi this and last season and Genge last season) there is no level playing field!
I hope we beat Sarries but for no other reason than I’ve only seen us win twice there in the last ten seasons!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

kpj tiger wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:17 pm I can't see them doing anything other than immediately getting promoted and then probably contesting the next premiership title
They'll achieve promotion easily enough but with the number of players they'll lose it might take a season or two to rebuild when back in the league.

The Wray family are still bankrolling the club but it's not a blank cheque, they'll be cutting the squad right down to the essentials for the year in the Championship.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:21 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:17 pm I can't see them doing anything other than immediately getting promoted and then probably contesting the next premiership title
They'll achieve promotion easily enough but with the number of players they'll lose it might take a season or two to rebuild when back in the league.

The Wray family are still bankrolling the club but it's not a blank cheque, they'll be cutting the squad right down to the essentials for the year in the Championship.
True, but realistically Ealing are the only club who are likely to contend with them at all and if they can't topple Newcastle I can't imagine they will be beating Sarries. Being as they're basically guaranteed promotion they can spend the whole season planning their promotion strategy
simoscribbler
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by simoscribbler »

I think a lot depends on the attitude of the younger Wrays. Are they willing to continue to fund the business, in the face of mounting losses in the short term, especially given the likely substantial reduction in the value of the brand?

FWIW I think they made a terrible mistake in not 'kitchen sinking' the bad news when all this first broke, and I guess that they will eventually invite proper external scrutiny of the books. If they dont I'm not sure that they can be properly rehabilitated, even over the medium term.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Realistically promotion will occur immediately , their side/squad unless completely decimated will just prove too powerful for the division.In terms of coaching structure the club would appear to be remaining intact and this is of vital importance.The club (to an outsider) appear to have an ingrained methodology when it comes to style and approach and whilst this remains there will always be the basis and foundations of a competent and competitive side.Saracens do not need their stars to survive.
For me the key issues in terms of possible renaissance and (full) recovery lie within the loan arrangements the club makes in regard to players and the repercussions surrounding the salary cap and financial fair play.
We have to remember right now that the only thing set in stone is the clubs relegation ,so everything from anyone is pure speculation until everything/anything is formalised.
Yet mathematics dictate that some players will have to go - leave the club ; some permanently some temporarily and it is those who return from (probable) loan arrangement coupled with those who stayed with the Sarries for the Championship season(s) that the remodeled club will be built upon.This time however the foundations will have to be laid bare and talk of loyalty is all well and good until its cost actually hits home for the players.The crown jewels may very well be kept , but the dress jewelry , this time round may be more of paste.This time the cost will cost.
The speculation could run and run and truthfully much could happen , but remember Saracens are an old club,long established with traditions.This (relegation) wont kill them , I believe , but they wont/simply can't come back stronger or as strong straight off ; but they will be back.Mark Mccall and Alex Sanderson (the principles) are good Rugby men - in a heartbeat I'd see them at Tigers. Sarries wont be long away from the Premiership , domination though ?
This time, if at all, it really will have to be earned the old fashioned way.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Financially, I understand that Sarries will get the usual payment for a demoted club, so no immediate money worries, even in a capped Championship, even if Wray money is reduced.

They will retain enough good players, and have a strong academy that will enable them to win the Championship.

Will they be able, and prepared, to open their books for examination in order to demonstrate that they have been « clean » for the requisite period? If « yes », they will not only survive but thrive, if « no » they will perish.
Valhalla I am coming!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

My understanding is that they have to demonstrate that they have conformed to the salary cap for TWO years, that might be tricky. They will also have show that their ground meets Premiership standards, that also may be tricky.