LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

With all the Sarries players coming onto the market and sarries wanting to loan them rather than sell I wonder if player power will come into it? My point is that Tigers come in for Singleton but sarries say loan and we want to buy. Will Singleton say “sorry sarries but I don’t know what is going to happen to you next season, so rather be a Tiger full time not on loan? Or Sarries still hold all the aces?
There is never any points for 2nd place...
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Depends whether they are in/out of contract at the end of the season and whether they have release clauses, Flashman.

If they are in contract and don't have a release clause then Sarries will be positioned to negotiate a transfer fee to buy them out the contract. If they are out of contract or have a release clause it's up to the player.

Some players may not want to move on if it means a wage cut even if they do have a release clause. Apparently Maitland and Taylor were offered to Glasgow and Edinburgh. The clubs were interested but couldn't match wages so the two of them turned offers down.

I expect that is likely the case with Daly. He's on a big wage at Sarries and won't want to take a cut.

The Vunipola brothers could be a different story. They re-signed in 2018 through to the 2021/22. The way wages have exploded in the last few seasons they may well be able to get more elsewhere now. So if they have release clauses it could be very lucrative for them.
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

ABClub wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:52 pm Depends whether they are in/out of contract at the end of the season and whether they have release clauses, Flashman.

If they are in contract and don't have a release clause then Sarries will be positioned to negotiate a transfer fee to buy them out the contract. If they are out of contract or have a release clause it's up to the player.

Some players may not want to move on if it means a wage cut even if they do have a release clause. Apparently Maitland and Taylor were offered to Glasgow and Edinburgh. The clubs were interested but couldn't match wages so the two of them turned offers down.

I expect that is likely the case with Daly. He's on a big wage at Sarries and won't want to take a cut.

The Vunipola brothers could be a different story. They re-signed in 2018 through to the 2021/22. The way wages have exploded in the last few seasons they may well be able to get more elsewhere now. So if they have release clauses it could be very lucrative for them.
I have no evidence but I do having a hunch that Billy V will retire in the next couple of years or go abroad. His injuries are frequent and he has a high explosive contact game. Just a thought on him. Great player but injured a bit too.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:43 pm With all the Sarries players coming onto the market and sarries wanting to loan them rather than sell I wonder if player power will come into it? My point is that Tigers come in for Singleton but sarries say loan and we want to buy. Will Singleton say “sorry sarries but I don’t know what is going to happen to you next season, so rather be a Tiger full time not on loan? Or Sarries still hold all the aces?
Sarries will have to cut their cloth a bit on the Championship. Whilst the Wray family have been happy to underwrite their losses they are still business people and will not want to simply incur a massive loss next season. A number of players will have to be moved off the books. Ideally for Sarries this will be in the form of loans particularly where the player is young and has bags of potential, ala Earl.

Some of the more senior options that aren't key like Taylor and Maitland will be moved on to save cash and they aren't too problematic too replace.

Similarly there's a few in positions of strength that Sarries won't worry about losing. Singleton is one of those. With George set to stay and Woolstencroft also at the club they have two good options and can pick up a cheap third choice or maybe promote internally. Singleton is a bit of a luxury signing in that Sarries didn't really need a second international hooker. Skelton may be another that makes way as lock is a position of strength and there are young lads progressing through from the academy.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Singleton would be a terrific addition. We can have OTY as an experienced replacement and release TPN. Have to admit, I thought Polota-Nau was a great signing at the time but he's been average at best.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

POSTIGER wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:35 pm Singleton would be a terrific addition. We can have OTY as an experienced replacement and release TPN. Have to admit, I thought Polota-Nau was a great signing at the time but he's been average at best.
Can’t hit a barn door at the line out poor bloke.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

westwinds31 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:06 pm
POSTIGER wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:35 pm Singleton would be a terrific addition. We can have OTY as an experienced replacement and release TPN. Have to admit, I thought Polota-Nau was a great signing at the time but he's been average at best.
He has the yips, rest of his game still fine.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:19 pm
From chatting to him, it was evident he'd really suffered from Bakewell "over-complicating everything" with the lineout.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

strawclearer wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:43 pm

From chatting to him, it was evident he'd really suffered from Bakewell "over-complicating everything" with the lineout.

yes, from what i can gather Bakes tried to get our hookers to hit our own jumpers - far too complicated it would seem.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:40 am
strawclearer wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:43 pm

yes, from what i can gather Bakes tried to get our hookers to hit our own jumpers - far too complicated it would seem.
Perhaps we can start selecting the hooker that actually managed to throw to our jumpers. Kerr is the young lad for the future he should be starting.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:54 am Perhaps we can start selecting the hooker that actually managed to throw to our jumpers. Kerr is the young lad for the future he should be starting.
He's a very promising prospect

He needs game time at the sharp end

We can't get relegated this season

So - that's 3 Yes's from me!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

strawclearer wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:10 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:54 am Perhaps we can start selecting the hooker that actually managed to throw to our jumpers. Kerr is the young lad for the future he should be starting.

I'd like to see us tie him down to a three year contract. If Singleton is coming in as well, hopefully also on a three year deal it would give us two good young hookers both capped but not likely to be in their respective 23s under 25. A great position to keep giving them game time and developing them on. Would sort the hooking position for a number of years.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:56 pm
strawclearer wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:10 pm

I'd like to see us tie him down to a three year contract. If Singleton is coming in as well, hopefully also on a three year deal it would give us two good young hookers both capped but not likely to be in their respective 23s under 25. A great position to keep giving them game time and developing them on. Would sort the hooking position for a number of years.
:smt023
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Personally I don't think he is worth a 3 year contract.
He is good, but I don't think he is really any different to many other hookers in the league and with his EQP gone it will not help matters.

I would keep him but wouldn't push hard.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

In a game where anyone age thirty is perceived as past his best, at what age does a promising young player regarded as one for the future become accepted as just a player?