LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2

Post by ABClub »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:32 pm I would imagine Jack Singleton will want out at Sarries would be a good player to target for next season
Singleton would be an ideal target at hooker. If Polota-Nau or Youngs were to re-sign they will be on hugely reduced contracts anyway from when they last signed one can only presume. Terrific careers, terrific blokes but not the players they were in their prime.

Lozowski would be an upgrade on Eastmond. I'd love to see 10.Ford 12.Tuilagi 13.Lozowski with the centres interchanging as Manu and Slade do for England. Lozowski would be our quickest centre and he's a fantastic defender as well.

Alemanno, Kruis or Isiekwe would all be First XV players as well. A top class second row to partner Lavanini should be a priority with Spencer out of contract - Will is rumoured to be moving away as well.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Lozovski would be an excellent signing. Multi skilled too and seemingly not destined for too much distraction by England.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Borthwick's growing reputation as a Coach will be attractive to many younger players who see themselves in their formative years.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

strawclearer wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:12 pm Borthwick's growing reputation as a Coach will be attractive to many younger players who see themselves in their formative years.
He has a close working relationship with Kruis as well having been his mentor at Sarries.

Personally I hope priorities in order are:

1. Starting hooker
2. Starting lock to partner Lavanini
3. Scrum-half. Is Lenny staying and if so is that contract value for what Tigers get? If not a starting 9 will be needed.
4. Outside backs. Is May staying? With Eastmond and Thompstone out of contract should we target wingers (Ben Lam as a starter? Perhaps Adam Radwan as a project?) or a centre (Lozowski? Sam Hill? Tom Stephenson?).

Tied into number 4 will be how much the coaches think Costelow (please please re-sign Sam!), Steward, Browning and Gilliland may begin to feature next season. They are all excellent talents capable of stepping up.

I don't want much squad overhaul. If we can sign starting quality in 2-3 positions then promote from the development squad to add depth I would be very happy with how the squad is building. Particularly with Ford and Gengey recently re-signed plus Lavanini and Taufua looking like Premiership players of the season nominees if they were playing for an in-form side.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

I think we'll have a pretty damn good lock pairing next season and we've seemingly strengthened our 10/15 options. A starting hooker and Kerr to make progress; plus I'd take Alex Lozowski any day of the week and twice on Saturday!
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

strawclearer wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:00 am I think we'll have a pretty damn good lock pairing next season and we've seemingly strengthened our 10/15 options. A starting hooker and Kerr to make progress; plus I'd take Alex Lozowski any day of the week and twice on Saturday!
Is that due to the Alemanno rumours or a hint at something else in the pipework? :smt002

If Zack Henry has indeed signed I just hope it's a case of Jonny McPhillips looking to move on for more game time rather than there being anything in the Sam Costelow to Scarlets rumour.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

ABClub wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:03 am
strawclearer wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:00 am I think we'll have a pretty damn good lock pairing next season and we've seemingly strengthened our 10/15 options. A starting hooker and Kerr to make progress; plus I'd take Alex Lozowski any day of the week and twice on Saturday!
Is that due to the Alemanno rumours or a hint at something else in the pipework? :smt002
I think a good lock pairing should be 'on the same page'; have a good understanding; 'speak the same language' - that sort of thing! :smt002
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

strawclearer wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:13 am
I think a good lock pairing should be 'on the same page'; have a good understanding; 'speak the same language' - that sort of thing! :smt002
I hope everyone's read this. Strawclearer guarantees with 100% certainty that we've signed Guido Petti, Marcos Kremer and Pablo Matera. :smt024
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

ABClub wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:10 am
strawclearer wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:13 am

I hope everyone's read this. Strawclearer guarantees with 100% certainty that we've signed Guido Petti, Marcos Kremer and Pablo Matera. :smt024
:smt005 you wish!
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Singleton or George would be good players to target with TPN cap. I imagine with Saracens going down both players will want out and either would be great picks.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:36 am Singleton or George would be good players to target with TPN cap. I imagine with Saracens going down both players will want out and either would be great picks.
Perhaps Dane Coles might fancy time in England?
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:12 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:36 am Singleton or George would be good players to target with TPN cap. I imagine with Saracens going down both players will want out and either would be great picks.
Wonderful player though he is Coles has a dreadful injury record.

On a separate note just watched the South African super hero rugby games. Jantjes is turning into a fabulous 9, he will be pushing Faf for that starting 9 spot soon
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:12 pm
Dan Cole and Dane Coles in the same team? Bletherin Jones would struggle with that!
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

I have seen mention of Eastmond out of contract at the end of this season but in this interview with him, he says he is contracted beyond this season and isn't going to Rugby League.

https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/domesti ... -eastmond/
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Been very impressed by Eastmond in his last few games, so glad he’s with us next season too!