Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Is it me? Brendan Venter!!!?

Post by Chobbsy »

I have just listened to the rugby union weekly podcast
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p080v9w5
Brendan Venter is it me or is the man totally delusional?
He cannot (I believe will not) accept that Sarries have done anything wrong, he keeps saying he is not part of the club anymore so he doesn't know, but then goes on about we have done nothing wrong, it's misunderstanding
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Is it me?

Post by Mark62 »

Wouldn’t trust the man further than I could throw him.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Chobbsy wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:16 am I have just listened to the rugby union weekly podcast
He cannot (I believe will not) accept that Sarries have done anything wrong, he keeps saying he is not part of the club anymore so he doesn't know, but then goes on about we have done nothing wrong, it's misunderstanding
No offence meant as I don't think it's you but just the soft environment that we have become used to.
I wouldn't expect Venter to roll over, I've never known him do it yet and so wouldn't expect him to start now.
We used to have a coach here who wouldn't roll over for anyone or anything.
Just my opinion.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

One of the most obnoxious men ever to coach a Rugby team :smt013
A2O
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Chobbsy wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:16 am I have just listened to the rugby union weekly podcast
It isn't just you. How he expects the rest of us to swallow the guff he spouts in that interview is beyond me too.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Is it me? Brendan Venter!!!?

Post by ABClub »

His 20 minutes on the Goode and Hamilton RugbyPod this week his the more interesting one.

I was interested by Venter on the RugbyPod talking about Sarries looking at Wasps and Tigers as templates back in the early noughties. They looked at Wasps with Josh Lewsey, Stewart Abbott, Fraser Waters, etc in the back line and decided that they wanted that sort of aggressive defence. Then they looked at Tigers and saw our pack, but also the number of players who had been here for 10 years or more. So they tried to replicate those three things. Pack, defence and club stalwarts who knew what they did inside out.

That insight into their planning was interesting.

Hearing Goode and Venter going back and forth over the cap was painful at times though. Venter just talks about the importance of environment at Sarries but refuses to acknowledge the point Goode makes that environment is much easier to build if you have a squad recruited outside of the rules.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Isn't Venter a born-again or devout Christian? Is truth-telling part of it? :smt017
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:53 pm Isn't Venter a born-again or devout Christian? Is truth-telling part of it? :smt017
Please don't go there, you'll get my fingers into trouble! :smt005
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

BFG wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:26 am
No offence meant as I don't think it's you but just the soft environment that we have become used to.
I wouldn't expect Venter to roll over, I've never known him do it yet and so wouldn't expect him to start now.
We used to have a coach here who wouldn't roll over for anyone or anything.
Just my opinion.
No offence taken, a forum is all about opinions
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

I ended up in the middle of a scrap between him and Goodey on twitter after Venter claimed Andy wouldn't know anything about healthy club culture. I wanted to reach through my phone and slap the idiotic bore.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:44 pm I ended up in the middle of a scrap between him and Goodey on twitter after Venter claimed Andy wouldn't know anything about healthy club culture. I wanted to reach through my phone and slap the idiotic bore.
Are you 100% sure that you didn't miss just a bit of rugby banter in that!
A pie and a pint aren't great match preparation these days!
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

BFG wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:52 pm
CitizenSmiff wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:44 pm I ended up in the middle of a scrap between him and Goodey on twitter after Venter claimed Andy wouldn't know anything about healthy club culture. I wanted to reach through my phone and slap the idiotic bore.
Are you 100% sure that you didn't miss just a bit of rugby banter in that!
A pie and a pint aren't great match preparation these days!
Nah, Venter called Andy a coward at one point. He doesn't have the humour required to make pie jokes.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

ay2oh wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:50 am One of the most obnoxious men ever to coach a Rugby team :smt013
unless it was your own team he was coaching....
not a massive fan however
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....