Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: Borthwick

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:08 am
DingDong wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:03 am Head coach - perfect!! Murphy to DoR - convenient!!
Murphy to DOR is what a lot of people have been looking for, his skill set will suit that position better. I see it working much as Humphreys and Ackerman do at Gloucester.

Great how some posters can always see negatives from such a big positive
Completely agree. Deacs and Stanko working wonders with the scrum, lineout expert inbound with some great experience to boot, Murphy and Ford starting to make progress with and this will only continue when GM switches to DOR.. come on people, let's be positive!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Tiger93

Post by Tiger93 »

When exactly is the 'end of Borthwicks international commitments with England'?

After 6n?

Summer?

November?
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:14 am Great news, starting after 6N. Looking forward to a new era.
Straight after the Six Nations or when his international commitments actually finish in November? It doesn’t actually state this.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Pleased its finally been confirmed, and also pleased with the Murphy DOR appointment as he's been clearly been doing some good stuff behind the scenes even if out and out couching is not his best attribute.

We'll have to see just how good Borthwick is as a head coach, but hopefully this means we can carry on building the squad and finalise some contracts.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

ads wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:20 am Pleased its finally been confirmed, and also pleased with the Murphy DOR appointment as he's been clearly been doing some good stuff behind the scenes even if out and out couching is not his best attribute.

We'll have to see just how good Borthwick is as a head coach, but hopefully this means we can carry on building the squad and finalise some contracts.
We will be able to as player retention and signings etc will be Murphy’s job
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

As far as i'm aware so far he will be here for at least pre-season.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

BBC news says he will start after 6N, which implies directly after 6N. But yes, that could mean 7 months after the 6N if anyone wants to be pedantic...
Ashurstwoodtiger

Post by Ashurstwoodtiger »

Maybe wrong but back in the day did Mr Cockeril not say that Mr Murphy would make a good DOR in the future. Looks like he was right again
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Ashurstwoodtiger wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:30 am Maybe wrong but back in the day did Mr Cockeril not say that Mr Murphy would make a good DOR in the future. Looks like he was right again
Not sure he's proven himself to be a good DoR just yet, but here's hoping!
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:27 am BBC news says he will start after 6N, which implies directly after 6N. But yes, that could mean 7 months after the 6N if anyone wants to be pedantic...
It’s not being pedantic. It was announced yesterday that Borthwick will leave his role with England in November so to say he will join Tigers after his international commitments actually suggests to me that he will join once his job with England finishes in November.

I’ve just looked at the BBC Sport App and it states this:
Steve Borthwick will join Leicester as head coach once he has completed his coaching commitments with England.

It doesn’t mention that he will start directly after the Six Nations.
Last edited by TigerBoy1880 on Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:35 am
Ashurstwoodtiger wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:30 am Maybe wrong but back in the day did Mr Cockeril not say that Mr Murphy would make a good DOR in the future. Looks like he was right again
Not sure he's proven himself to be a good DoR just yet, but here's hoping!
True, but if player signings, retention and development are KPIs for a DOR I’d say he’s looking pretty good.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Well one thing is certain Murphy is the goose that laid the golden nest egg. I simply cannot see any justification whatsoever for his promotion or qualification other than as a player he is a Tigers great. Hope Borthwick thrives and Tigers prosper.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

sapajo wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:38 am Well one thing is certain Murphy is the goose that laid the golden nest egg. I simply cannot see any justification whatsoever for his promotion or qualification other than as a player he is a Tigers great. Hope Borthwick thrives and Tigers prosper.
Well thankfully it’s not you who has to make the decision on who the DOR and Head Coach is
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

sapajo wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:38 am Well one thing is certain Murphy is the goose that laid the golden nest egg. I simply cannot see any justification whatsoever for his promotion or qualification other than as a player he is a Tigers great. Hope Borthwick thrives and Tigers prosper.
You don’t think Murphy has been key in developing the youth, retain players through selling a vision or making some great signings?

Murphy has sold the vision and Borthwick will deliver it......hopefully 😆
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:37 am
Tiglon wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:27 am BBC news says he will start after 6N, which implies directly after 6N. But yes, that could mean 7 months after the 6N if anyone wants to be pedantic...
It’s not being pedantic. It was announced yesterday that Borthwick will leave his role with England in November so to say he will join Tigers after his international commitments actually suggests to me that he will join once his job with England finishes in November.

I’ve just looked at the BBC Sport App and it states this:
Steve Borthwick will join Leicester as head coach once he has completed his coaching commitments with England.

It doesn’t mention that he will start directly after the Six Nations.
Yeah they've just changed it. When first on the app it said after 6N. Is there any way of posting a screenshot on here?