England v Ireland travel

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

dpoc74
Top Cat
Top Cat

England v Ireland travel

Post by dpoc74 »

So I was lucky (or unlucky when I was told the price) to get a couple of tickets to the England Ireland 6N game through the ballot
I have just gone to book the train tickets and it is a bus replacement service from market harborough to luton ( and I assume from Leicester as well)
My question to anyone, is do you know what the parking is like or should I just look to drive to somewhere like rugby and catch the train from there.

(If I do drive I will repost on here and would be able to give a couple of people a lift if they wanted it)

Cheers
tjs10inOz

Re: England v Ireland travel

Post by tjs10inOz »

I haven't parked at Twickenham for an England game so this info may be a little out of date but...

1. Most of the on-street parking near to the stadium is permit-holders only. Unless you know where the residents parking ends, don't even think of attempting on-street parking!

2. Parking on the kerb is illegal in London (except where explicitly signposted). Traffic wardens make a killing on Twickenham event days from people who park on kerbs/corners/across driveways etc. They WILL catch you if you are parked illegally, trust me!

3. Matchday parking is available at The Stoop, at nearby schools and other similar venues with large carparks/open spaces near to the stadium. However, prices are not cheap (probably $30+ per car nowadays) and you will be queuing for ages to get out unless you leave promptly at the end of the game, or stay in the bars for an hour or so for post-match refreshments.

4. Public transport is probably the best option, but again be ready for a huge queue to get on your train/bus after the game, especially if you want a London-bound train. They do put on lots of extra trains for the game (which queue up in sidings just past Twickenham station, ready for the influx of supporters post-match) so most trains will arrive at the platform empty, but queues to get on to the platform can be huge and will very quickly stretch back up Whitton Road.
Formerly tjs10 but forgot my login info!
Now living in Western Australia and working in Hockey but still watching rugby whenever i can!
bendy

Post by bendy »

May not be a practical option, but National Express run a 6N coach service from Leicester (St Margarets) direct to Twickenham.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

It’s a while since I’ve been to the big stoop but when I have we parked on the school/college playing field on the other side of the dual carriageway from the ground.
If you want to get out early then you need to be leaving on the final whistle, or just wait an hour or so. The advantage it has is that you’re pointing in the right direction for the motorway when you do leave
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Rugby station is usually a good shout.

Is the game on a Sunday? If you decide to drive to Rugby drop me a message for a parking tip.
Brianf

Post by Brianf »

I used JustPark when I visited Twickenham for a rock concert. Essentially, it is parking on someone's drive, but you can get fairly close to the ground, whilst avoiding the main traffic routes on the return. Because it is the Six Nations, be prepared to pay around the £20 - 25 mark, but it is another option.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

dpoc74 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:08 pm So I was lucky (or unlucky when I was told the price) to get a couple of tickets to the England Ireland 6N game through the ballot
I have just gone to book the train tickets and it is a bus replacement service from market harborough to luton ( and I assume from Leicester as well)
My question to anyone, is do you know what the parking is like or should I just look to drive to somewhere like rugby and catch the train from there.

(If I do drive I will repost on here and would be able to give a couple of people a lift if they wanted it)

Cheers
This might help
https://www.twickenhamstadium.com/getting-here
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

For the Quins game I did Nuneaton to Euston > underground to Waterloo > overground to Twickenham, its fine if you're prepared to wait around in the bars for a few hours afterwards before heading home as the train station will be a madhouse.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Rather than going back from Twickenham or Richmond, take a free bus to Hounslow Station and then take an overground into London...lot quicker and very few people using that route.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

It's a Sunday so most street parking restrictions in London will not be applicable - apart from Twickenham itself.

Find a nice street near an overground station on the Twickenham line and park for free.
LessThanSte
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by LessThanSte »

Last time i went to a major match at Twickenham (prem final 2 or 3 years ago), we parked about 5 minutes walk from Witton train station, i think on Percy Road. I had a quick check of google streetview, there are regular sections with no parking restrictions, so we didnt pay a penny.

https://goo.gl/maps/xXt8ayPCPuNDN9iC8

From there its about a 20 minute walk to the ground from memory.
#48 FTW :)
APM16

Post by APM16 »

Would normally travel by train, but as there were no trains have booked national express coach

Sun 23 Feb 2020
Twickenham Stadium
National Express Events
Service: T53
Departs: 10:05 Sun 23 Feb 2020
Twickenham Stadium
Arrives: 13:00

Sun 23 Feb 2020
Twickenham Stadium
National Express Events
Service: T53
Departs: 17:15
Show calling points
Sun 23 Feb 2020
LEICESTER St Margarets Bus Station
Arrives: 20:15

Standard fare - amendable and not refundable£33.00
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

For Twickers I've tended to drive to Staines and park in Kingston Road Carpark (a small car park just before you get to the station). Getting back last time we found it worked quite well to walk to Whitton (the next station up the line (toward Staines) basically follow the duel carriageway to the roundabout by lidl and head left, can't miss). Only every other train stops but you avoid the epic queues at the seemingly perpetually under maintenance Twickenham station.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
dpoc74
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by dpoc74 »

Thanks everyone for all the advice.
I think Staines it is (or Staines on Thames as it has been renamed!)
If anyone is going from MH, (or can get to MH) I will be driving to Staines then catching train in to Richmond, Twickenham or Whitton, and will have space for two (or three if you know each other well) people.
I wont be hanging round after the game, as will be driving, and can't stand drinking OJ when everyone else is drinking pints of the black stuff!
Cheers
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:07 pm For the Quins game I did Nuneaton to Euston > underground to Waterloo > overground to Twickenham, its fine if you're prepared to wait around in the bars for a few hours afterwards before heading home as the train station will be a madhouse.
Two points to remember ~
Instead of going Waterloo to Twickenham try Waterloo to Isleworth and there are several pubs there and a gentle walk along the River Crane via Royal Oak and then through the "Lavender Beds!" of Mogden Sewerage works outside the Stadium.
On returning to Twickenham station avoid the pig pens, over the bridge and get the train going west to Hounslow & Islewoth as these go round in the loop back to Waterloo. This worked for me several times.