Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Re: Borthwick

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:41 pm
aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:54 pm So is he actually coming or not? :smt017
Almost certainly. Not been confirmed by Tigers or Borthwick yet but it’s widely expected to happen. When, seems to be slightly less clear. Some reports say post 6N but most say end of the season.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... in-3756543

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... nd-season/
I was watching Eddie Jones press conference on Sky, he pretty much confirmed it, saying "If I'm picking the right coaches they should be leaving as they should be in demand" and that Steve had a great opportunity "I'm sure you can guess where"
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

I just hope he comes sooner rather than later. He will be an extremely valuable addition to what is starting to become a very credible coaching setup. After a shaky start and offloading some 'dead wood' things are starting to improve and Borthwick will only galvanise this further.

He and the other coaches have a great opportunity with the remaining games in the GP this season. It would be far better to use the remainder of this season to try new things and work out where things have been going wrong to ensure we hit the ground running next season. The guarantee of another year in the GP should not be wasted and giving Borthwick time to bed in and allowing the coaching setup some matches to try new things could prove invaluable as to how we fare next term.

I sincerely hope we start the Borthwick era with a decent number of games remaining this term rather than relying solely on a short pre-season to shake things up.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:44 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:41 pm
aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:54 pm So is he actually coming or not? :smt017
Almost certainly. Not been confirmed by Tigers or Borthwick yet but it’s widely expected to happen. When, seems to be slightly less clear. Some reports say post 6N but most say end of the season.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... in-3756543

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... nd-season/
I was watching Eddie Jones press conference on Sky, he pretty much confirmed it, saying "If I'm picking the right coaches they should be leaving as they should be in demand" and that Steve had a great opportunity "I'm sure you can guess where"
Such a tease Eddie!
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

It's still ambiguous, but to quote Eddie Jones... 'He is a loyal, hard-working and analytical coach but I understand he needs now to get out on his own following this campaign. He’s made that decision and we are really pleased for him'.
To me, 'following this campaign' could mean after the 6Nations.
Now that England has made the announcement, wouldn't it be nice to hear some confirmation from Tigers?
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

MurphysLaw wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:09 pm It's still ambiguous, but to quote Eddie Jones... 'He is a loyal, hard-working and analytical coach but I understand he needs now to get out on his own following this campaign. He’s made that decision and we are really pleased for him'.
To me, 'following this campaign' could mean after the 6Nations.
Now that England has made the announcement, wouldn't it be nice to hear some confirmation from Tigers?
given England wouldn't have any more games this season after the 6N I'd think the same
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Bit of a bulls up from the social media team at the RFU causing all this confusion.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
usurp4
Tiger Cub

Post by usurp4 »

New twist! The 'confirmation' of Borthwick joining at the end of the season from the RFU has been removed from the BBC article. I read on Ruck.co.uk that Tigers and RFU can't agree terms and I hear a rumour via a connected friend that Borthwick could now be going to Sarries!!!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

usurp4 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:44 pm New twist! The 'confirmation' of Borthwick joining at the end of the season from the RFU has been removed from the BBC article. I read on Ruck.co.uk that Tigers and RFU can't agree terms and I hear a rumour via a connected friend that Borthwick could now be going to Sarries!!!
Question. If Borthwick has resigned from the RFU why are Tigers having to agree terms with them. They’re not buying him out of his contract so there’s nothing to agree
usurp4
Tiger Cub

Post by usurp4 »

Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

usurp4 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:44 pm New twist! The 'confirmation' of Borthwick joining at the end of the season from the RFU has been removed from the BBC article. I read on Ruck.co.uk that Tigers and RFU can't agree terms and I hear a rumour via a connected friend that Borthwick could now be going to Sarries!!!
Just looked at that website and couldn’t find it. You got the link? I guess he does have connections with sarries, but they may struggle to afford him as they can’t afford their players...
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Maybe that's why EJ said " I think you can guess where" !!
As Good As It Gets
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

Thanks. Well let’s see what the fall out is with this then. I guess we will scour the world for a great coach...like last time...
There is never any points for 2nd place...
usurp4
Tiger Cub

Post by usurp4 »

I did put the link above, appreciate its from late December but it seems that the lack of agreement between Tigers and RFU is why Borthwick signed up as skills coach for the 6N. Maybe Sarries have now jumped in because of Tigers not being able to agree a deal? Maybe part of the Sarries refresh? Whatever is happening, it seems like the silence from all parties is doing nothing but causing confusion.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

From what i've heard he's already signed a contract with Tigers
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

That article is a month old.

The lack of agreement between Tigers and RFU is irrelevant as Borthwick is out of contract end of season. All it would factor is early release.

Personally it seems kinda like your clutching at straws.
Saracens only found out about relegation last week remember.
Last edited by RagingBull on Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.