Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2

Post by ABClub »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:14 pm
ABClub wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:07 pm Lewington is 4th choice behind Williams, Maitland and Daly though so hardly makes him a bad player. Arguably 3rd choice as Daly might have been playing centre with Goode fit. As Williams and Goode are both crocked we won't know what the plan was there.
I would also say he is behind the young lad Sega ??

As you say we’ll never know but personally I would rather promote from within or find a project in the championship than sign a journeyman
Rotmi Segun. Excellent talent out of the Sarries academy. With Goode and Williams injured, plus Maitland and Daly returning form the RWC he has kicked on a lot this season.

Lewington has had more starts and bench appearances in Premiership and European games this season though. Segun started two games that Lewington didn't. One of them Lewington had a knock and the other he returned on the bench.
Mark62 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:36 pm Of course you’re right. In my opinion Green has not been great since he returned, I take your point about nuts and bolts but imo he shouldn’t be mentioned in the same breath as Deacon.

Lewington again imo is the definition of a journeyman player, wasn’t good enough for Tigers or Irish and hasn’t been good enough to cement a place at Saracens
Lewington was excellent for London Irish. They offered him a good contract as they wanted to keep him but he instead chose to sign with the European and Premiership champions who head hunted him. I'm not sure how that defines not being good enough.

Sarries have an entire Lions back three, plus European player of the year Alex Goode.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

You have your opinion I have mine. For me if someone is good enough and young enough you do everything to keep him.
Also why would Lewington go from first choice to a club where he was going to be bench at best. And even if they said you will improve in our environment he clearly hasn’t improved enough for them, otherwise why would they spend big bucks on Williams and Daley in the last couple of seasons, and hasn’t Strettle also rejoined.
Again in imo signing Lewington would not be a positive move
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Big fish in little pond, or little fish in big pond. Everyone has a different preference and I guess Lewington took a risk and challenged himself. He's a decent player but no superstar. I'd be happy if we brought him back as 3rd/4th choice if none of the academy wingers are ready, but I'd be just as happy if we didn't.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I think people view Lewington as a young player still.
He will be 29 years old next season.

Rather see what Hughes can do and give him a chance, before thinking of signing Lewington.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

From what I remember, we were in a pretty strong position regarding wingers when Lewington left.

Can't remember the lock situation when Green left.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Deacon
Kitchener
Parling
Slater
Mafi

Looking back it's funny all 5 of those players form at the time would be starting for Tigers now pretty much,.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:47 pm You have your opinion I have mine. For me if someone is good enough and young enough you do everything to keep him.
Also why would Lewington go from first choice to a club where he was going to be bench at best. And even if they said you will improve in our environment he clearly hasn’t improved enough for them, otherwise why would they spend big bucks on Williams and Daley in the last couple of seasons, and hasn’t Strettle also rejoined.
Strettle is retired. Daly was available and a rare commodity, versatile player with a huge points kicking range. Bosch was retiring and had really stopped offering them that as he couldn't get in the team. Williams an outstanding international. Lewington is a good club winger who was hoping a move to Sarries would push him on into international standard. It hasn't worked out but it doesn't mean he's a bad player. Doesn't mean he's the type of player we need either. We need a winger to offer something other than pace. Hence the loan for Hughes.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Ben Lam would be a very good signing; he’s lightning quick, pretty physical and would be around for the entire campaign. Also big pals with Taufua. Here’s hoping.

Whilst I’d like May to stay, if we could bring Lam in on a long-ish contract I’d be happy enough with that.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:47 pm You have your opinion I have mine. For me if someone is good enough and young enough you do everything to keep him.
I've never said he's a world beater. Just that he's kicked on to be a very solid player and as I said in my first post he was a standout on Saturday against Ospreys. My first post that started this said he'd be a good replacement for Thompstone if he's moving on. Thompstone is one of my favourites but Lewington is much quicker than Adam these days.

Clearly an agree to disagree situation though as you intimated! Hopefully Browning and/or Gilliland can kick on to claim squad places on the wing in the next few years anyway.
RagingBull wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:18 pmRather see what Hughes can do and give him a chance, before thinking of signing Lewington.
I watched a fair bit of Hughes at Scottish Premiership level whilst living in Scotland. When he got a Glasgow contract I was surprised to be honest and am yet to change my mind. He's strong and quick but back at Scottish Prem level I didn't see any standout skills to think he'd step-up. Lovely bloke off the field though.

His kick chase is usually good, probably the part of his game where he uses his pace and strength the best. In attack I haven't seen him show much with Glasgow though. Hopefully he is encouraged to get off his wing and use that size more carrying off 9 and 10 whilst he's with Tigers.
Richardfje

Post by Richardfje »

Savea supposedly isn’t getting a contact renewal, would we take him?

I say no on his wages
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Richardfje wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:17 pm Savea supposedly isn’t getting a contact renewal, would we take him?

I say no on his wages
Julian or Ardie
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:21 pm
Richardfje wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:17 pm Savea supposedly isn’t getting a contact renewal, would we take him?

I say no on his wages
Julian or Ardie
Ardie recently signed long term with the NZRU so it must be Julian.

Value for money wise I'd take Ben Lam everyday. Savea is a brilliant player but his form has fallen off a cliff since leaving NZ - plus a year before that in reality. He's still only 29 and scored 46 international tries so there is still one hell of player there if anyone can afford him and get the best from him.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

ABClub wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:26 pm

I say no on his wages
Julian or Ardie

Value for money wise I'd take Ben Lam everyday. Savea is a brilliant player but his form has fallen off a cliff since leaving NZ - plus a year before that in reality. He's still only 29 and scored 46 international tries so there is still one hell of player there if anyone can afford him and get the best from him.
I think the fall started before he left New Zealand with ironically Ben Lam keeping him out of the Canes side.
I thought his fortunes had improved at Toulon and he had been playing at 12.
As you say his test record doesn’t lie, so it’s all about finding that form again
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

ABClub wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:26 pm

I say no on his wages
Julian or Ardie

Hypothetical only , but if presented with a choice I go would go with Ben Lam.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Ben Lam would be an incredible signing. A few of his best bits:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bWY_aaNNiBs
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!