Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Bristol - 04th January 2020

Post by Tiglon »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:41 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:34 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:22 pm

Lots of positives to take from the last 3 games. Some huge individual performances and great team spirit shown to not only come back to draw away to Quins last week but also to weather the storm today after another terrible start to the second half! What goes on in our dressing room at HT I'll never know! It's just a shame it's all starting to come together as our Internationals are due to head off for the 6N!
Much better indeed. However, if we average 7 points from every 3 matches for the rest of the season, that will still only give us 44 points - and that's if you round up! Just 3 points more than last season. Likely enough to avoid relegation, but hardly a huge improvement. Progress based on where we were 2 weeks ago, but not in the grand scheme of things.
You can’t take averages though. I would suggest anyone that hasn’t seen it watches Fords excellent piece with LTTV where he says rightly so that the improvement is going to be by small steps every week and patience is required.
Improvement will come and with it results
Why can't you take averages?

Of course Ford is correct, but none of what he said is a secret and all the other teams will also be trying to take small steps of improvement every week. There is no guarantee that results will be better.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:51 pm Means Tigers still stay 18 points ahead of them, but the top becomes more catchable.
It's a nice buffer but Saracens are not really the team we need to keep an eye on.

Harlequins, Worcester only 6 points off.
Bristol only 7 points off.
Bath Gloucester in a slog against each other.

Exeter and Saints play Irish and Wasps.
Here's hoping both those get nothing.
Agreed (though I feel uncomfortable hoping for a Saints win!). Assuming today’s result is the start of an upwards trend for Tigers, and not a blip, then keeping ahead of Sarries who will also be heading upwards, is not a bad aim.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:56 pm
Mark62 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:41 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:34 pm

Much better indeed. However, if we average 7 points from every 3 matches for the rest of the season, that will still only give us 44 points - and that's if you round up! Just 3 points more than last season. Likely enough to avoid relegation, but hardly a huge improvement. Progress based on where we were 2 weeks ago, but not in the grand scheme of things.
You can’t take averages though. I would suggest anyone that hasn’t seen it watches Fords excellent piece with LTTV where he says rightly so that the improvement is going to be by small steps every week and patience is required.
Improvement will come and with it results
Why can't you take averages?

Of course Ford is correct, but none of what he said is a secret and all the other teams will also be trying to take small steps of improvement every week. There is no guarantee that results will be better.
Because performances will improve and we have a lower base line than other sides.
It may not happen of course but I would expect us to improve and Irish, Quins and Worcester for example to go in the other direction
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

I reckon Ford, May and Genge will be off to the 6N and most likely Youngs and Cole. If Manu is fit he will be included but depends on his groin injury. I do agree though that hopefully we might see some rotation by Jones but who knows.

Promising signs in the league by Tigers, others around us dropping points and top of the table in the Challenge Cup. Great start to 2020.. here’s hoping it continues!

:smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

it too early to just assume that performances will improve. Bear in mind that the average of 7 from 3 is based on the last 3 matches, not the season so far.

In my opinion, the aim needs to be to win all of our remaining home games, which isn't unrealistic given that we've already hosted Chiefs and Sarries - the next two against Worcester and Wasps will be huge. That would put us on 39 points, plus a few bonuses and a win (or two) away from home will see us likely end up in the high forties and lower-mid table. We then end the season with a good unbeaten home run and the confidence to hit the ground running in 2020/21, where a better start could see us get 50-60 points and be in the mix for the playoffs.

Irish won't be getting many points from their next few games, so even if we have a bad time during the 6N we should be at least level with them and possibly Wasps when we go into the final third of the season, thanks to the crucial 5 pointer today.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

It will be interesting to see how the remainder of the season pans out. Credit where credit due after today’s game: ++WELL DONE TIGERS!++ :smt003
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

markharbtiger wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:59 pmAgreed (though I feel uncomfortable hoping for a Saints win!).
Look at it from a different angle - hope for a Wasps loss, more palatable :smt003
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Think 7 is Taufua’s best position for Tigers, gives him the freedom to roam in defence and play in the wider channels. Also think Kalamafoni is having a great season now some of the pressure is off with Genge and Lavanini on the pitch.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:29 pm Think 7 is Taufua’s best position for Tigers, gives him the freedom to roam in defence and play in the wider channels. Also think Kalamafoni is having a great season now some of the pressure is off with Genge and Lavanini on the pitch.
It’s a shame we haven’t been able to see a back row of Liebenberg Taufua and Kalamafoni yet. Hopefully won’t be too long
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Just got back home from the match and breathing a huge sigh of relief. So pleased with 5 points and at last some positive signs. I found JP Doyle hugely frustrating, no idea why May didn't get a yellow right at the end, lots of inconsistencies with his decision making. I know it is his first game back for Olowefelu but he needs to up his game - simply too weak in defence and a pathetic attempt to stop the runaway try.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:28 pm
markharbtiger wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:59 pmAgreed (though I feel uncomfortable hoping for a Saints win!).
Look at it from a different angle - hope for a Wasps loss, more palatable :smt003
:smt046
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Best performance from B. Youngs for some time, although not brilliant his last few box-kicks were poor. Olowofela defended quite well apart from the O’Conor try and his pass to Veainu on May’s last try was timed to perfection.m
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Doyle was inconsistent but I felt his decision on the Lay yellow card was just about agreeable.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Best crowd in a long time, especially at half-time when we made that turnover in our ‘22, not perfect but let’s hope we can build momentum over the next two weeks in the Challenge Cup.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Between Wells and Kalamafoni
51 tackles made, 7 tackles missed.