Tigers vs Bristol - 04th January 2020

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers vs Bristol - 04th January 2020

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:28 pm If Thompson isn't ready to play 80 and Reffell isn't ready to start, put Thompson on from the beginning and throw Reffell in after 50. Problem solved, no?
Yeah it doesn't really add up. Could be that we still need that third big jumper in the line-out. Quins was something of an improvement, but they did just get battered 6 tries to 1 vs Sale so how much of one is arguable.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:44 pm
Tiglon wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:28 pm If Thompson isn't ready to play 80 and Reffell isn't ready to start, put Thompson on from the beginning and throw Reffell in after 50. Problem solved, no?
Yeah it doesn't really add up. Could be that we still need that third big jumper in the line-out. Quins was something of an improvement, but they did just get battered 6 tries to 1 vs Sale so how much of one is arguable.
I assume it's all about trying to find the right balance all round amongst the pack.
Genge is one of Leicester's best ball carriers and grunt elsewhere may free up him and the likes of Tuafua and Lavanini.
That's how I'm reading it anyway.
Wells got caught out from one close scrum against Exeter I think, something to learn from but he wouldn't be the first flanker to get caught out by Exeter from a close range scrum, far from it!
I think Bristol will be a tough game as they are far more settled but Leicester can definitely win if they play well!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Tigers have obviously decided they want to go with more bulk at blind-side, perhaps an indication that when Liebenberg is fit he will be at eight with Kalamafoni at six, I am sure that both Reffell and Thompson will play a part as the game opens up. Forget what happened at Northampton the whole team were terrible and I don't believe it had anything to do with the selection of Wells in the back row. I don't understand the questioning of Tom Youngs as starting hooker, he is our best 2 and most accurate thrower in of the ball. Lineouts are probably the weakest part of Polatau-Nau's game although he is good in other areas.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

johnthegriff wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:19 am Tigers have obviously decided they want to go with more bulk at blind-side, perhaps an indication that when Liebenberg is fit he will be at eight with Kalamafoni at six, I am sure that both Reffell and Thompson will play a part as the game opens up. Forget what happened at Northampton the whole team were terrible and I don't believe it had anything to do with the selection of Wells in the back row. I don't understand the questioning of Tom Youngs as starting hooker, he is our best 2 and most accurate thrower in of the ball. Lineouts are probably the weakest part of Polatau-Nau's game although he is good in other areas.
Forgetting things that went wrong is not how you learn.

A soft try due to a player out of his normal position is definitely something that contributes to a good drubbing. Not saying it was the only problem, far from it, but it was clearly a factor.

When you win 1 out of 7 it's hard to understand not questioning the selection of most players. Especially when you have an 80(?) cap Australian international as next choice. In my opinion TPN has not done enough on a consistent basis to earn the spot, but it makes sense to question Tom Youngs' role.

How much cap are we wasting on TPN to have his experience sat on the bench, when the third choice is another international? Just the usual stuck-in-the-past Tigers front row obsession - how many other Premiership clubs invest in 3 international (tier one) hookers?
Shergar79

Post by Shergar79 »

Does anybody know if the game is being televised?
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:03 pm Bristol side looks strong:

Bristol Bears: 15. Charles Piutau; 14. Toby Fricker, 13. Piers O’Conor, 12. Will Hurrell, 11. Alapati Leiua; 10. Callum Sheedy, 9. Harry Randall; 1. Jordan Lay, 2. Harry Thacker, 3. John Afoa, 4. Chris Vui, 5. Ed Holmes, 6. Steven Luatua (c), 7. Dan Thomas, 8. Nathan Hughes.

Replacements: 16. Will Capon, 17. Jake Woolmore, 18. Max Lahiff, 19. Dave Attwood, 20. Jake Heenan, 21. Nic Stirzaker, 22. Ian Madigan, 23. Luke Morahan.
Yes indeed. Bit of a worry.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Bit annoyed the game's not on TV. The kickoff moving to 1pm meant i couldn't get there on time but assumed it was for TV reasons, but no its T20 and Newcastle vs Rochdale on at the moment.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Great start.. had to be Ellis hey! Come on lads keep it up.. 7-0 :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

That could easily have been a red
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

kpj tiger wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:13 pm That could easily have been a red
Right decision with a yellow, falling player. Red would have been harsh.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:16 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:13 pm That could easily have been a red
Right decision with a yellow, falling player. Red would have been harsh.
Agreed but I have seen it be a red in the past
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Can you elaborate? I'm not at the game
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Is the match on streaming, please?
Semper in excretia
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Oh wow great try! Not seen that from Tigers in a long time.
DaveRave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveRave »

Was that try scored v 13 or 14? I'm having trouble keeping track.