Super User

Re: Tigers vs Bristol - 04th January 2020

Post by fentiger »

WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

fentiger wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:55 pm Ooh err....
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/rug ... rs-3693699
Well, people did say that they wanted a return to the days when opposition teams were not themselves at the thought of a game at Welford Road.......
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

wardy wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:31 pm Well someone has faith in us. Corals have us 1/2 on and Bears 13/8 against. Kiss of death? :smt006
I had a tiny punt on the draw at 20/1 last week, feeling smug or what?? :smt023
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I'll take any bit of help we can get!

It is funny to read Tigers described as "resurgent" because they managed to avoid losing one game...
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

JP Doyle will take charge of his 176th Premiership game as Tigers take on Bristol Bears at Welford Road this Saturday (January 4, 1.00pm).

He will be assisted by Michael Hudson and Jonathan Healy, while Nigel Carrick will undertake Television Match Official duties. Grant Seely is named as citing officer.

Doyle last took charge of a Tigers fixture in Round 4 of this season’s Gallagher Premiership away to London Irish.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Geordan Murphy says Jordan Olowofela is available for selection this weekend against Bristol, Guy Thompson has had a stiff neck but omission appears to be selection, not injury based.

Liebenburg and Spencer still a way off returning. Manu also a doubt with a tight groin.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Records do not reflect the circumstances, simply won, drawn & lost.
Simply go for and take the win.Last year at Welford Road was a travesty , we owe these guys big time.
Last edited by kk20gb30 on Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:39 pm We won't be as dominant in the scrum as last week but I have faith we can get a good win on Saturday. I believe Bristol may be starting to be on a poor run of form.
Bristol do have issues at the scrum they are very reliable on Afoa keeping the front row up and straight. If Genge can keep that side up and not offer him anything then Cole should be able to sort out the loosehead. With a bit of luck they'll try and bring in Capon to try and bulk up the front row, his lineout work isn't as good and he's unlikely to rip us apart like wee Harry did last season.
Tiglon wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:48 pm
strawclearer wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:40 pm Murphy on injuries:

Wing Jordan Olowofela is available, but lock Will Spencer is still out with concussion and Hanro Liebenburg is still "a few weeks away" from returning, but has restarted training.

Murphy says Manu Tuilagi has suffered from a groin strain and he is unsure of his availability this week:

"Manu was unavailable [against Harlequins], he had a tight groin. We didn’t want the media storm around it so we said it was a selection issue."

Murphy adds that Guy Thompson is available for this weekend, having had a stuff neck, but hints his recent exclusion is form, not injury-based.

"It’s going to be tough because Tommy Reffell has been outstanding off the bench, so Guy might have to wait a few weeks for selection."
Good to have Olowofela back, we need another option on the wing.

Don't understand the Manu thing, why would you want to avoid the "media storm" last week but not this week? I don't recall them saying it was a selection issue anyway - I think if they said that they didn't want to select him even though he was fit and available that would have caused more of a "media storm" than saying he has a tight groin.

I really don't think he's hinting that Thompson has been not selected based on form, he's just giving Reffell some deserved praise in the media.
That and it will also push on Thompson who is more than a touch competitive. We want them all chomping at the bit to get hold of a starting shirt.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

BG01 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:34 pm The obvious solution is surely to play Wells at 6. He has had a good couple of games off the bench, carries harder than Lewis, and has much more experience, without us losing much in the lineout. Assuming Guy, SK, Hanro, and Spencer are out I'd go with:

1. Genge
2. TPN (give TY, who I think has been good, a rest)
3. Cole
4. Lavanini
5. Green
6. Wells
7. Reffell
8. Taufua

16. Youngs
17. Gigena
18. Leatigaga
19. Batley
20. Lewis
Wells at 6?
The Saints game has soon been forgotten.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Grimlish wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:40 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:22 pm
Both Lewis and Reffell are very good defensively but not the biggest ball carriers. If Spencer is back in the row with Lavanini then having them both in the backrow should be fine. Otherwise we might have to draft in Thom Smith or the loan signing to give us some more ballast ball in hand as Green doesn't carry.
Has Bolodau’s loan spell finished?
In the salary cap regulations loan players cost 1/52th of their home club wages per game, up to 5 league or European games. After that they then count their full wage.

Boladau has played 5 Prem and Challenge Cup matches ...
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

mol2 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:54 pm
BG01 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:34 pm The obvious solution is surely to play Wells at 6. He has had a good couple of games off the bench, carries harder than Lewis, and has much more experience, without us losing much in the lineout. Assuming Guy, SK, Hanro, and Spencer are out I'd go with:

1. Genge
2. TPN (give TY, who I think has been good, a rest)
3. Cole
4. Lavanini
5. Green
6. Wells
7. Reffell
8. Taufua

16. Youngs
17. Gigena
18. Leatigaga
19. Batley
20. Lewis
Wells at 6?
The Saints game has soon been forgotten.
Agreed, three locks is not the correct game plan for playing against an expansive team. Bristol have some big carriers but they like to play at a high speed, slow them down and then their big runners can run into the willing shoulders of Lavanini, Taufua etc.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

No need to play Wells at 6 when Guy Thompson is available. What about Kalamafoni also? I'm assuming that no mention of him in the injury update means he could be available.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

JP14 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:21 am Isn’t Liebenberg supposed to back in the New Year? Maybe Batley will be involved, he played quite well versus the Wanderers for the Development Squad (Saints have posted full highlights of that match on YouTube but would recommend watching it with no sound). I’d quite like the idea of Polota-Nau starting, will doubt it happening though.
I thought Polota-Nau brought an awful lot more to the game than Tom Youngs when he came on against Quins
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

That maybe so Chobbsy but when was the last time TPN was selected ahead of Young’s under Murphy?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

JP14 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:29 pm That maybe so Chobbsy but when was the last time TPN was selected ahead of Young’s under Murphy?
I agree totally I am just saying he did well when he came on
God created rugby so footballers have heros too