LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2

Post by Hot_Charlie »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:04 am Great news re: Ellis but let's be pragmatic, he re-signed because we offered him more money than anybody else did.
Or because he is settled in Leicester, gets great coaching and has been turned from Championship prop to England’s number 2 loose head prop.

It’s not always all about money.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:06 pm
CitizenSmiff wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:04 am Great news re: Ellis but let's be pragmatic, he re-signed because we offered him more money than anybody else did.
Or because he is settled in Leicester, gets great coaching and has been turned from Championship prop to England’s number 2 loose head prop.

It’s not always all about money.
Does he and the others have a 'get-out ' if the Tigers get the drop?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I would think anyone home nation internationals with desire to still play international rugby will have it.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Wilson went to Sale on loan from Newcastle, I'm sure similar arrangements could be made should we be relegated, if not outright transfers
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:32 pm Wilson went to Sale on loan from Newcastle, I'm sure similar arrangements could be made should we be relegated, if not outright transfers
Might not be necessary, RFU declared last season (when it started to look like we were going to be relegated) that they would pick from the Championship if the players they wanted were playing for championship clubs.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:27 pm I would think anyone home nation internationals with desire to still play international rugby will have it.
I think off all the England players, Ellis is the most likely, even if it’s just a loan initially like Wilson and Harris from Falcons. Every chance within a year he’ll be in every England 23.
Mo Leicester

Post by Mo Leicester »

So we know who is staying.

Who is going?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Looks to me like May will be off. I'm sure we had to increase a few salaries for those who have just extended, so there has to be a saving elsewhere. I expect May to go, Ben Youngs maybe and likely TPN if his contract is up this year.

I suspect May and Youngs have offers from Tigers with less money than they want, so they've been waiting until January to see what other options are out there.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:17 am Looks to me like May will be off. I'm sure we had to increase a few salaries for those who have just extended, so there has to be a saving elsewhere. I expect May to go, Ben Youngs maybe and likely TPN if his contract is up this year...
If May goes that will be very unfortunate.
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

May and Fordy are very close outside of the game according to social posts. Would be a shame to see him go - if only they can stop sarries offering illegal wages we might see a bit more loyalty from players - after all - everyone has a price...
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

speedski wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:35 am May and Fordy are very close outside of the game according to social posts. Would be a shame to see him go - if only they can stop sarries offering illegal wages we might see a bit more loyalty from players - after all - everyone has a price...

Well all the talk is that Tigers are offering him reduced wages soooo
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:50 am
speedski wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:35 am May and Fordy are very close outside of the game according to social posts. Would be a shame to see him go - if only they can stop sarries offering illegal wages we might see a bit more loyalty from players - after all - everyone has a price...

Yep - if he goes he goes - but any sign that sarries are playing by the rules now go out the window if they let Williams go and replace him with May.

My point was more that the others have to let the expensive players who aren’t marquee go - well seemingly all but one team...
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

speedski wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:56 am

Yep - if he goes he goes - but any sign that sarries are playing by the rules now go out the window if they let Williams go and replace him with May.

My point was more that the others have to let the expensive players who aren’t marquee go - well seemingly all but one team...
But Sarries have other players leaving too...
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

speedski wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:56 am

I mean Williams is on 400,000 and May currently around 300,000
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Be interesting to see what happens with the next round of negotiations. Think that Holmes, Thompstone, Kalamafoni, Eastmond and Thompson are all coming to the end of their deals (to my knowledge).

Would expect TPN and Cortes to follow Harrison out the door, along with May?