Paul Gustard

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Paul Gustard

Post by ay2oh »

Did anyone see the post-match interview with Paul Gustard. I don’t think I have ever seen such a whinging biased one eyed view of a game of rugby.Apparently we cheated in everything that we did and Quins were like angels. Perhaps if they got a pack that can scrimmage they might have won :smt003
A2O
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Paul Gustard

Post by TomWeston »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:22 am Did anyone see the post-match interview with Paul Gustard. I don’t think I have ever seen such a whinging biased one eyed view of a game of rugby.Apparently we cheated in everything that we did and Quins were like angels.
Didn't he once play somewhere dear LE2?

Perhaps if they got a pack that can scrimmage they might have won :smt003
Certainly should have given Slow Eddie a heads up on the scrummaging ability of his 1's and 3's!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

In comparison I thought Murphy gave the better of the two interviews
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:22 am Did anyone see the post-match interview with Paul Gustard. I don’t think I have ever seen such a whinging biased one eyed view of a game of rugby.Apparently we cheated in everything that we did and Quins were like angels. Perhaps if they got a pack that can scrimmage they might have won :smt003
Did you not see Steve Diamond’s?!! :smt003

He takes ref whingeing to a new level.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

It seems to be coming in a lot more recently. If your team isn’t playing well and/or losing, blame the ref rather than looking at yourself.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

I find myself frequently disappointed with the standard/consistency of the refereeing in the GP but the good teams are the ones that listen to Sir and adapt accordingly. This is where I feel we often fall down. Fans/coaches are often a fickle bunch (myself included).. win and Sir had a good game, lose and direct the first shots in his direction. The standard isn’t great and what I would give to have Mr Barnes on the whistle for every Tigers game but alas that’s not the case.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Standard DOR/HC media response. He doesn't want their to be a continued conception that his scrum isn't actually any good.

Sir had a good game yesterday. Not perfect but no one is. I thought he was a little generous to Quins in a couple of the scrums. A much better officiating display than we've seen in some of the games.

We do need to be a little more savvy with the ref, we aren't great at getting them on side as others have already said. Our discipline was generally much improved, a couple of silly penalties but nowhere near as many as last season.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

JP14 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:05 am In comparison I thought Murphy gave the better of the two interviews
He was on a different planet as per.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Paul G has to prove himself now after the initial impact of change and the accompanying hype.
We are seeing a better 'Quins side than under kingstone but from what has been displayed thus far this season a plateau has already been reached.The criticism of the officials goes hand in hand with this.
Sometimes its easier being a number 2 or working behind the scenes - the responsibility for the decisions taken falls on someone else.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Quins players not available for the game Saturday. Add in Sinkler going off injured early and I'd suggest we haven't yet seen Gustard's full potential, he just doesn't have the bodies at the moment.

Not available due to injury:
Forwards
Rob Buchanan
Max Crumpton
Scott Baldwin
Phil Swainston
Glen Young
Jack Clifford
Archie White
Will Evans

Backs
James Lang
Ben Tapuai
Francis Saili
Joe Marchant
Nathan Earle
Aaron Morris
Mike Brown
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

So they were running low at hooker, centres and fullback. They might have adjusted their backrow. As their replacement 12 effectively created two of their tries that's not really an issue. Baldwin might have given them a bit more umph in the scrum but as their two international props could do nothing put select reverse gear then I doubt it would have mattered.

Gustard has given the Quins defence some steel but he needs to have some of their firepower readily available more often if they are going to push up the table. He might be helped if Brown retires at the end of the season as he really isn't getting any younger and must be on a good wedge, they could use that to reinvest at lock.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Like Murphy at Leicester I think Gustard inherited a mixed bag at Quins and has a lot to sort out.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:03 am ... Add in Sinkler going off injured early and I'd suggest we haven't yet seen Gustard's full potential, he just doesn't have the bodies at the moment.

Stinker played 50+ minutes. His injury was to his pride and reputation having been spanked by Ellis!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

They have been mixed this season, but especially have suffered another disappointing European campaign. Their defence is sorted, they have an extremely talented squad it's puzzling to explain their inconsistency, perhaps there is a still a hangover from the Kingston era?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

The Quins early drive at our 5m lineout that turned over our ball was the most blatant miss of the afternoon, not a peep from the TMO either, driving through when the jumper is in the air in a penalty or always used to be, I wonder what the officials are doing sometimes (most of the time!)