Tigers vs Bristol - 04th January 2020

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Tigers vs Bristol - 04th January 2020

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

We are moving in the right direction slowly but plenty of positives to take from the last 2 games. So let's build on the first half performance against Exeter and a great comeback from 14 points down coupled with some solid defence late on against Quins. We welcome Bristol to Welford Road for the first game of 2020 and it's a very win-able match; certainly not a given but it's there for the taking.

I'm thinking:

1. Genge
2. TPN
3. Cole
4. Lavanini
5. Spencer
6. Lewis
7. Reffell
8. Taufua
9. Youngs
10. Ford
11. May
12. Taute
13. Manu
14. Thompstone
15. Veainu

16. Youngs
17. Gigena
18. Leatigaga
19. Green
20. Thompson
21. White
22. Reid
23. Worth

Doubt SK will be fit having failed his HIA so I think this should do the job...
Last edited by OakhamTiger32 on Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers vs Bristol - 04 Jan 20

Post by ABClub »

1.Genge
2.Youngs
3.Cole
4.Lavanini
5.Spencer
6.Lewis
7.Reffell
8.Taufua

9.Youngs
10.Ford

11.May
12.Reid
13.Tuilagi
14.Thompstone
15.Veainu

16.Polota-Nau
17.Gigena
18.Leatigaga
19.Green
20.Thompson
21.Harrison
22.Hardwick
23.Taute

Part of me would like to see Hardwick at 12 with the star backs around but Reid has been showing steadily better form since Ford returned.

Bateman may be fit to join the bench. I'm unsure of his current injury situation?

Bristol will be targeting this as a chance to get a vital away win to keep them in the play-off spots. Must win game for Tigers with the England stars back to 6 Nations duty in February.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Just returned from Twickenham vs 'Quins , and if I'm honest don't really care who we pick so long as we win.Bristol are a potent threat ball in hand but are vulnerable when starved of possession and dominated physically.Old fashioned virtues can hopefully see us home in this one.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Bristol - 04th January 2020

Post by Hot_Charlie »

If Kalamafoni is out I'd expect us probably to have a back row of Taufua, Thompson and A N Other. Not sure we'd start both Lewis and Reffell unless pressed by unavailability.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:59 am If Kalamafoni is out I'd expect us probably to have a back row of Taufua, Thompson and A N Other. Not sure we'd start both Lewis and Reffell unless pressed by unavailability.
That makes sense and would be my first choice too just not sure about Thompson’s fitness after his injury
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Isn’t Liebenberg supposed to back in the New Year? Maybe Batley will be involved, he played quite well versus the Wanderers for the Development Squad (Saints have posted full highlights of that match on YouTube but would recommend watching it with no sound). I’d quite like the idea of Polota-Nau starting, will doubt it happening though.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:08 pm Just returned from Twickenham vs 'Quins , and if I'm honest don't really care who we pick so long as we win.Bristol are a potent threat ball in hand but are vulnerable when starved of possession and dominated physically.Old fashioned virtues can hopefully see us home in this one.
Midfield defence looked very susceptible to first phase moves as well. Be a good game to get Manu back for. Rough them up front in the tight where there right five isn't the best and keep the game in their half as much as possible.
Hot_Charlie wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:59 am If Kalamafoni is out I'd expect us probably to have a back row of Taufua, Thompson and A N Other. Not sure we'd start both Lewis and Reffell unless pressed by unavailability.
Considering his pace and work rate the Bristol game looks like one particularly suited to Lewis's skillset. Plus he's a handy lineout addition and as we should put some pressure on the Bristol scrum we need the lineout working.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:21 am Isn’t Liebenberg supposed to back in the New Year?
The report in the LM on 17 Dec when we signed Batley stated:

‘The South African back-rower had made a good start to life with Tigers but is now out of action for a lengthy period due to an ankle injury’.

I read elsewhere he’s expected back early 2020 but considering we only signed injury cover for him a few weeks ago it’s unlikely he’ll be back anytime soon sadly.

Back row of Kalumafoni Taufua Liebenberg will be immense and available during the 6N too..
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Another reason we should involve Batley is that he is familiar with set-piece calls and could disrupt their lineout which hasn't been smooth under Thacker. Lam will be aware of this and probably adapted most of the calls as soon as Batley left which could explain the recent downturn in the performance of the Bears' pack.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Thacker looked like he picked up an injury on Friday.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

JP14 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:55 am Another reason we should involve Batley is that he is familiar with set-piece calls and could disrupt their lineout which hasn't been smooth under Thacker. Lam will be aware of this and probably adapted most of the calls as soon as Batley left which could explain the recent downturn in the performance of the Bears' pack.
I'm not aware of a clause.... but is there anything preventing us playing him in this match?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Reffell and Lewis together is a bit lightweight for me. Tough selection call if kalamafoni, Thompson and liebenberg are unavailable.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:21 am Reffell and Lewis together is a bit lightweight for me. Tough selection call if kalamafoni, Thompson and liebenberg are unavailable.
Completely agree but can’t see SK being passed fit and HL is still out. If GT has recovered from his neck injury he’d be a starter for sure but otherwise I think it’s the best we have available
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:09 am Thacker looked like he picked up an injury on Friday.
And Piutau took a pretty nasty knock to the nose, although then played on so might be available
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

We need to shore up the 10/12 channel in defence otherwise expect Fordy to get pummelled. Manu at 12 would sort that!