Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Championship Rugby

Post by BFG »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:33 pm
Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:15 pm It appears that Wasps have decided that they want to win and get a bonus try point....that has not helped out case if this remains the same. I guess it’s all on us to get us out of the mess rather than rely on other teams to be worse than us.
That's always likely to be the case. We'll have to start winning if we want to stay up. Wasps got away with one there; Bristol defence was woeful, sir refused to sin bin any of their players despite a penalty everytime Bristol were in the red zone during the second half and the last try had a blatant bit of obstruction in the build up.
I've no idea what game you were watching as Bristol are the worst team I've ever seen for falling around the side of the breakdown to slow ball down.
Wasps were easily the better side.
The ref penalising Launchbury at a maul late on was an absolutely shocking decision.
Wasps deserved the win.
I only hope that Bristol don't get away with their blatant slowing tactics at the breakdown when they play Leicester.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Plus one try for Wasps from a pretty wonky line out? (IMHO)

.........And why does no one look at who's in front of the kicker at restart?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
cpwhelan
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by cpwhelan »

Puts the pressure straight back on Tigers - a 'must win' or the writing is on the wall - how ruddy annoying was Dayglo tonight - fantastic this, brilliant that - bit too biased?
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Big Dai wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:54 pm Plus one try for Wasps from a pretty wonky line out? (IMHO)

.........And why does no one look at who's in front of the kicker at restart?
Does he look harder when it's Leicester!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

The table makes pretty grim reading, now more than ever! Even with a BP win tomorrow we’d still be the only team in single figures! Big response from Leicester needed and sharpish.... please!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Big Dai wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:54 pm And why does no one look at who's in front of the kicker at restart?
Another one of those rules that might as well not be part of the game as it’s never picked up! Bit like feeding the scrum! Occasionally you hear the TMO give the Ref a heads up about people getting ahead of the kicker but very rarely
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

BFG wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:50 pm
Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:15 pm It appears that Wasps have decided that they want to win and get a bonus try point....that has not helped out case if this remains the same. I guess it’s all on us to get us out of the mess rather than rely on other teams to be worse than us.
That's always likely to be the case. We'll have to start winning if we want to stay up. Wasps got away with one there; Bristol defence was woeful, sir refused to sin bin any of their players despite a penalty everytime Bristol were in the red zone during the second half and the last try had a blatant bit of obstruction in the build up.
I've no idea what game you were watching as Bristol are the worst team I've ever seen for falling around the side of the breakdown to slow ball down.
The ref penalising Launchbury at a maul late on was an absolutely shocking decision.
Wasps deserved the win.
I only hope that Bristol don't get away with their blatant slowing tactics at the breakdown when they play Leicester.
Nah Lawrence got that wrong. Launchbury is fine coming through the middle until the maul shears. As soon as it shears he's not bound onto anybody in the maul he then goes in at the side instead of going round and rejoining at the back. Ref got that spot on in my view.

The one in the build up for the try was I think Gopperth gets tackled not held and as he starts to get up a Wasp player flies over the top takes out Randall who is ready to tackle him and Gopperth then makes easy couple of metres. Should have been an obvious penalty.

Bristol's defence was shocking but they were the ones that had the possession and the territory. Good Wasps spoiling kept them at bay. Neither team looked like top 6 material.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:28 pm

Wasps deserved the win.
Nah Lawrence got that wrong. Launchbury is fine coming through the middle until the maul shears. As soon as it shears he's not bound onto anybody in the maul he then goes in at the side instead of going round and rejoining at the back. Ref got that spot on in my view.

The one in the build up for the try was I think Gopperth gets tackled not held and as he starts to get up a Wasp player flies over the top takes out Randall who is ready to tackle him and Gopperth then makes easy couple of metres. Should have been an obvious penalty.

Bristol's defence was shocking but they were the ones that had the possession and the territory. Good Wasps spoiling kept them at bay. Neither team looked like top 6 material.
It no doubt would've all played out very differently had Sir not missed the clear choke from two players on young Willis!
These are things that I'm seeing Leicester get penalised for!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

BFG wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:33 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:28 pm

Wasps deserved the win.

It no doubt would've all played out very differently had Sir not missed the clear choke from two players on young Willis!
These are things that I'm seeing Leicester get penalised for!
True the tackle definitely slipped up to the neck of Willis, penalty all day long.

Based on last weekend if the ref doesn't ping Tigers for it the TMO will intervene to make sure we don't get any lucky calls.
TigerS2
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerS2 »

JP14 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:32 pm Lol we’re getting relegated.
So depressing. I think that it is over and done for the Tigers. How are we going to get out of this rugby nightmare with our players very low in confidence? How are we going to cope without an experienced Scrum Half during the 6 nations? What are we going to do when all our international players and players of quality go? Tiger will never be the team they used to be again. Not for a long time anyway, stuck in the lower league. Still, at least we have good memories. I've been a STH since 1994, but my first game was in 1993, this is why their form hurts so much.

Hope I'm wrong.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

TigerS2 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:54 pm How are we going to get out of this rugby nightmare with our players very low in confidence? How are we going to cope without an experienced Scrum Half during the 6 nations? What are we going to do when all our international players and players of quality go?
How are we going to get out of it?

By the RFU and PRL using us as an excuse to finally ring-fence the Premiership. They are both desperate to do it (for differing reasons perhaps); now we may present their chance.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I will be annoyed if they do ringfence, if we’re bad enough to go down we should go down.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

TigerS2 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:54 pm
JP14 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:32 pm Lol we’re getting relegated.
So depressing. I think that it is over and done for the Tigers. How are we going to get out of this rugby nightmare with our players very low in confidence? How are we going to cope without an experienced Scrum Half during the 6 nations? What are we going to do when all our international players and players of quality go? Tiger will never be the team they used to be again. Not for a long time anyway, stuck in the lower league. Still, at least we have good memories. I've been a STH since 1994, but my first game was in 1993, this is why their form hurts so much.

Hope I'm wrong.
This is not meant as a lecture or rant but more a counter-position. I think it is far too early to throw the towel in. Of your points only the confidence and SH options are here and now issues; the rest are in the future, hence time to change. What we struggle with as supporters is one of control, or more precisely, lack of control over what is happening. Our support or otherwise is the only thing we can control and for me if we get behind the team it will help their confidence; they still seem to believe in what they are doing so I think I can only back them. As for SH a number on here might say that the 6N options are not that far below a below-par BY but again none of us can control this, we can only put our faith in the players. I absolutely agree that things are not good but equally think we can only do what is in our control and that is get behind the team and not add to any low confidence. I hope I am right 😊
As Good As It Gets
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

I think any Tigers fan who has been going down for at least 40 years will agree this is the worst performing side for ages. Even in the days of average forwards the backs delivered tries and excitement. Play too much to what they're told and not what's happening in the game.
TBH we were lucky last year not to be relegated so we deserve to go this time as we haven't improved or realised the issues of last season. I can see Sarries overtaking us by mid January and then we're soup.
Looking forward to weekends in Jersey and Cornwall, and the local derbies.
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Do you think the board will still stick with Murphy when we get relegated? Genuine question btw.

N.B. That's assuming the Borthwick deal won't get done.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play