Jonny May

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Jonny May

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:12 am Liam Williams is on a pretty good wage at Saracens, I’d imagine that would pay for May.
Liam Williams would qualify as a marquee player whereas May would not. That could be a factor.

Sarries will have to reduce their overall squad size but they will still want to keep adding quality.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

From what I have read, it seemed that it was just the property investment companies set up jointly with Nigel Wray were what caused the breach. He thought that they were not covered by the salary cap. I think that their "standard" salary bill was within the cap. No joint investments were made this season. Hence "no problem". Maybe. Ish. Sort of.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Perhaps he could have been marquee.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:04 am
JP14 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:12 am Liam Williams is on a pretty good wage at Saracens, I’d imagine that would pay for May.
Liam Williams would qualify as a marquee player whereas May would not. That could be a factor.

Sarries will have to reduce their overall squad size but they will still want to keep adding quality.
Williams not even close to marquee at Sarries - "only" £400k per year whereas itoje and Farrell are £700k
Less is more....
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:11 am From what I have read, it seemed that it was just the property investment companies set up jointly with Nigel Wray were what caused the breach. He thought that they were not covered by the salary cap. I think that their "standard" salary bill was within the cap. No joint investments were made this season. Hence "no problem". Maybe. Ish. Sort of.
It's more layered than that though - this is purely hypothetical with the figures but the concept holds: If Itoje is worth £700k to you and you pay him £300k in he cap and £400k through payments you thought were outside it but it turns out are not - this season you cut the £400k of investments from his package but he is still worth £700k to you/the market - you have to now find that £400k or somewhere near it which will result in other players taking reductions or players being let go.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

kornboy130 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:57 pm
Cagey Tiger wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:11 am From what I have read, it seemed that it was just the property investment companies set up jointly with Nigel Wray were what caused the breach. He thought that they were not covered by the salary cap. I think that their "standard" salary bill was within the cap. No joint investments were made this season. Hence "no problem". Maybe. Ish. Sort of.
It's more layered than that though - this is purely hypothetical with the figures but the concept holds: If Itoje is worth £700k to you and you pay him £300k in he cap and £400k through payments you thought were outside it but it turns out are not - this season you cut the £400k of investments from his package but he is still worth £700k to you/the market - you have to now find that £400k or somewhere near it which will result in other players taking reductions or players being let go.
I can't see this causing them any problems until these players' contracts are up for renewal. Any investments will have been agreed outside of the employment contracts, so those contracts will remain and the players will continue on whatever salary they agreed to - they just won't be given any further investments. When it comes to negotiating a new contract that 300k + 400k will now only be 300k, so it will be much easier for other clubs to compete and much more difficult for Sarries to keep so many players.

They don't need to let go any players, they just need to stop making investments in their companies. Simple as that.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

If, for an example an Itoje is worth £700k on the open market, if the £300k of that that used to come from "investments" can no longer come from investments and has to be paid as declared income he will still command £700k whether that is salary, cash payments to his company or investments to the equivalent is largely irrelevant.

The only way it may change is if Sarries have artificially inflated the salaries of all top players by paying more than the competition. If not he will go to the club that pays him £700k legitimately (for the club)

Remember these payments are not illegal for the player to receive, merely the teams that do it are breaching a contractual agreement with the league which is a civil matter, and we should not imply that the players are evading tax or doing anything wrong. How individual clubs play their players is in many ways irrelevant if it is legal (tax etc) and declared as income to the league for cap calculation. I would imagine many clubs play their players through sponsorship arrangements with backers, that in itself is fine.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Bunchy wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:20 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:04 am

Williams not even close to marquee at Sarries - "only" £400k per year whereas itoje and Farrell are £700k
Only one of Farrell and Itoje can be marquees. The 'second marquee' needs to be signed from outside the Prem.

Williams is Sarries second marquee player now. Schalk Burger was before him.