Jonny May

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Baz

Jonny May

Post by Baz »

Latest rumours suggest that Sarries will approach JM as soon as they can legally do so in the new year. Sources: The Rugby Paper, and Gloucestershire LIve.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Re: Jonny May

Post by TigerCam »

IMO the need to re-structure the Tigers from the the top down probably means that players such as JM will go? Unless the Tigers win their next 3 games, I believe that they will be in the relegation fight with Wasps so the Tigers marquee players will go either on loan as has Mark Wilson or just move clubs due to their demand. Until the management at Tigers get sorted out to the benefit of the players and more importantly us supporters, I do not see any reason why top players would stay? Long gone are the days of true club loyalty "come hell or high water". It is a professional business and as such will be subject to supply and demand. I will be sad to see JM go but if it does lead to a turnaround of the Tigers in the long term so be it.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Johnny is an excellent winger with a game that has become well rounded over time. However, he will be 30 by the end of the season and any agent worth his salt will be looking to secure a three year contract on international level money. May's stock is high and he will likely tour with the Lions next time.
A 30 year old winger though is only one knee injury away from being half the player so we have to weigh up just how he fits into our greater plan because he will be a serious investment.

He might get a better option elsewhere and fair play to him if he takes it, we need to be savvy and right now our big spend should be on making our pack as good as it possibly so we can retrieve our previous uncompromising reputation.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Unusual for Sarries to do things via legitimate means.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

An excellent player but we may not be able to afford him (after increases for Ford and Genge if they stay) and he is probably well positioned to get one more very lucrative contract, so wouldn't blame him for moving on. Would need to spend money on a winger or two if he does go as it would leave only Holmes as a really good option as things stand.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

surely Sarries should be shedding expensive players not signing more of them
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:32 pm surely Sarries should be shedding expensive players not signing more of them
It'll be a while yet before PRL catch on to whatever their new loophole is...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:32 pm surely Sarries should be shedding expensive players not signing more of them
Liam Williams is confirmed as leaving. Lozowski, Maitland, Barritt and Mallins are all rumoured to be out of contract in the summer. You'd imagine they'll try to retain Mallins and Lozowski because of their age and versatility. Barritt may well retire and Maitland will be 32 shortly into next season so may be viewed as expendable.

If Sarries were to jettison Barritt, Williams and Maitland that would free up a good chunk of cash even with May coming in. There's likely to be some movement in the forwards with Woolstencroft likely to leave and not be replaced, Kpoku rumoured to be going to Saints and potentially Isikwe out if contract as well.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I wonder if this will have parallels with Goneva leaving back in 2016, I think if we can hold onto May great but he shouldn’t be the absolute priority and we can use the cap for someone else.

I would love to get Betham back, would never happen though.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

It'd be a real shame to lose May when he's clearly at his peak, but if we accept we can't keep all the internationals this time around then highly paid wingers are the correct area to compromise with.

I do worry about losing a player of his mentality, though. We desperately need people who can push the others on.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

I expect others may follow, they won't want to be in a bottom of the table team with a risk of relegation. Anyway I'm sure there must be some more SH journeymen around for half the price.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

G.K wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:40 pm I expect others may follow, they won't want to be in a bottom of the table team with a risk of relegation. Anyway I'm sure there must be some more SH journeymen around for half the price.
Or players from our Academy to step up maybe, or SH never heard of like Telusa or Goneva before him.....
To win is not as important as playing with style!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

G.K wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:40 pm I expect others may follow, they won't want to be in a bottom of the table team with a risk of relegation. Anyway I'm sure there must be some more SH journeymen around for half the price.
If Youngs decides to go and we go down then the academy is a conveyor belt for scrum halfs at the minute we have two in the senior side and two in the development squad, use them. If we stay up then a more experienced option might be required, Brad Weber would be ideal. They'd be options.

Doubt Ben will leave though.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

If we get relegated we will loose a number of players - either because we can't afford them or because they won't want to squander their England careers and as a club we shouldn't expect them to. Some could be loaned out and others will leave.

If we stay up and can afford to spend the salary cap I would hope we can keep May - he single handedly produced one of the tries against Exeter that probably no other wing in world rugby could have scored.
Most of the time it could be argued that wings are just there to finish the work done by the others however a few come along that are a little bit special like Robinson & Lomu. I wonder if England had won the world cup May might just have been talked of in a similar way.

I just wonder how Sarries can be able to afford him. I doubt they bust the salary cap by small amounts and am astounded that they have reduced their salary bill for this season. Either some have taken pay cuts, a deal has been done to see the salary bill reduced by natural wastage or they are simply finding other means to keep their players. Our squad is probably the second strongest in the league and they have at least half a team more than us in terms of top level players in their squad.

Let's face it Sarries only really shed Britz but signed Elliot Daly so that won't have greatly changed the bottom line. Ok the cap has increased. Either they are the only ones that can afford the cap or will we be seeing more fines next year?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Liam Williams is on a pretty good wage at Saracens, I’d imagine that would pay for May.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni