Championship Rugby

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JGT57

Re: Championship Rugby

Post by JGT57 »

WOW!

We’ve got a stadium. Merge with Tigers and give Coventry theirs back. We’ve got training facilities

That would stir some feelings! 😂😂😂😂
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

JGT57 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:06 am WOW!

We’ve got a stadium. Merge with Tigers and give Coventry theirs back. We’ve got training facilities

That all appears to stem from one unsubstantiated twitter post. Considering their levels of debt they'd have to be wound up, nobody would be suicidal enough to take on that burden. Hopefully they pull through, I badly want to stay in thr prem but not at the expense of somebody else's entire club.
JGT57

Post by JGT57 »

WOW!

[/quote]

That all appears to stem from one unsubstantiated twitter post. Considering their levels of debt they'd have to be wound up, nobody would be suicidal enough to take on that burden. Hopefully they pull through, I badly want to stay in thr prem but not at the expense of somebody else's entire club.

Sorry, wasn’t serious - was meant to be tongue in cheek.
I also would also hate to see the demise of another club. I feel Falcons, which was a tragedy, will struggle to get back to where they were even if they are promoted. Huge area to have no club.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

If they ring fence the Premiership I will give up watching it at that point apart from the play-offs, the rest of it will be just exhibition matches. As for merging with Wasps that will also kill it for me.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

G.K wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:38 pm If they ring fence the Premiership I will give up watching it at that point apart from the play-offs, the rest of it will be just exhibition matches. As for merging with Wasps that will also kill it for me.
I do agree but if you want more than 2 clubs to compete at Europe’s top table it may be the only way.
As for merging with Wasps, I’m more open minded though can’t see it happening.
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

G.K wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:38 pm If they ring fence the Premiership I will give up watching it at that point apart from the play-offs, the rest of it will be just exhibition matches. As for merging with Wasps that will also kill it for me.
I used to be of the view that ring fencing would ruin the Premiership but more undecided these days. Ring fencing for a few years might actually make sense. The fact of the matter is that with the CVC investment, relegation at the moment is pointless and more akin to having to sit on the naughty step for a year with 13 clubs having a clear financial advantage above others.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Could Leicester being relegated be a blessing in disguise for the Championship?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

If Tigers get relegated, then i hope we do drop down to the Championship. It would not be fair to say well we are the biggest team so cant go down. It would cause shockwaves within the club and the board and management, thus meaning some deep rooted thinking about where we go.
I dont think that the Premiership will allow ring fencing if we are in the Championship.
I do however think that us going down, will be of benifit to the other championship clubs in view of revenue and fans through the gates.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

SthrnTiger wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:49 am relegation at the moment is pointless and more akin to having to sit on the naughty step for a year with 13 clubs having a clear financial advantage above others.
Very true, but for me that naughty step makes the Premiership season far more compelling. I'd rather have a situation where the Premiership is great to watch but English clubs don't do quite so well in Europe (but are still competitive) than the Pro14 situation where a couple of them can dominate in Europe but 50% of the league matches are like a development league.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:47 am
SthrnTiger wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:49 am relegation at the moment is pointless and more akin to having to sit on the naughty step for a year with 13 clubs having a clear financial advantage above others.
Very true, but for me that naughty step makes the Premiership season far more compelling. I'd rather have a situation where the Premiership is great to watch but English clubs don't do quite so well in Europe (but are still competitive) than the Pro14 situation where a couple of them can dominate in Europe but 50% of the league matches are like a development league.
:smt023 +1
As Good As It Gets
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Other than the 2 obvious exceptions English clubs cannot compete in Europe at the moment, imho
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:43 pm
Other than the 2 obvious exceptions English clubs cannot compete in Europe at the moment, imho
Depends on your definition of "compete" - if it means reach the quarters then that's only 8 in total, so 2 from one country isn't terrible.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:48 pm
Mark62 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:43 pm

Depends on your definition of "compete" - if it means reach the quarters then that's only 8 in total, so 2 from one country isn't terrible.
Fair point, my definition would be be in the running to compete in all the pools such as the Irish teams are, but then we get into the whole question of what priority matches fall in.
I’ve mentioned it before but I remember seeing an interview with ROG a few years ago when he was asked about this and he said that for an Irish international priority goes, Test matches, Europe then domestic. I would suggest for premiership that it is the other way round
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:06 am
I do agree but if you want more than 2 clubs to compete at Europe’s top table it may be the only way.
Hmm - Prem clubs used to be able to do better so I don't buy that theory.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

G.K wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:27 pm
Mark62 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:06 am
Hmm - Prem clubs used to be able to do better so I don't buy that theory.
When the playing field was a lot more even. Taking Saracens out of the equation, because we know what’s happened there, it must be 10 years since an English club was in the European cup final, and just because it used to happen doesn’t mean it does now.
IMHO you want English clubs to compete you either ring fence the premiership or you remove the salary cap