Calvisano v Tigers - return fixture next week

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Calvisano v Tigers - return fixture next week

Post by Cagey Tiger »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:37 pm We are going to get eaten alive by the Chiefs.
That team selection would, but things might improve with a more 1st choice team. Although I doubt it if we stick to the team orders for most of the season, of kick possession away every time we get the ball off the forwards.

Only managed to watch the second half. Absolutely awful apart from the defence, but even that was average. A few more performances like that and I shall join the doom mongers.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:39 pm
anz3001 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:36 pm Let’s just remember how many kept/keep banging on about Tigers of old not winning pretty but managing to get the job done.
That’s what we’ve done 4 out of the last 5.

Wins a win and you play the team in front of you.
I think that was referring to the days when we would beat Munster or Toulouse the ugly way. Not scraping a win against Calvisano.
I think people need to realise that’s not the calibre we are currently playing at, some people really need to accept that.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:43 pm
CitizenSmiff wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:37 pm We are going to get eaten alive by the Chiefs.
That team selection would, but things might improve with a more 1st choice team. Although I doubt it if we stick to the team orders for most of the season, of kick possession away every time we get the ball off the forwards.

Only managed to watch the second half. Absolutely awful apart from the defence, but even that was average. A few more performances like that and I shall join the doom mongers.
I am in a similar position to you. I thought the D was very good even for their try it looked like White was under the ball.
No excuses as these are professional players, but it must be really difficult to play on a cabbage patch against a side who is slowing things down at every opportunity, giving you no tempo, and a referee who’s quite happy to let them
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

anz3001 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:47 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:39 pm
anz3001 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:36 pm Let’s just remember how many kept/keep banging on about Tigers of old not winning pretty but managing to get the job done.
That’s what we’ve done 4 out of the last 5.

Wins a win and you play the team in front of you.
I think that was referring to the days when we would beat Munster or Toulouse the ugly way. Not scraping a win against Calvisano.
I think people need to realise that’s not the calibre we are currently playing at, some people really need to accept that.
I completely realise and accept that. We are no where near that level. Doesn't that disappoint you even a little?
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Lots of negative comments after that match, from myself included but as many posters have rightly pointed out we are top of the group with 4 wins from 4.. most didn't expect us to win in Cardiff but we scraped that with an impressive second half showing and while we would normally be expected to cruise past Calvisano we have still come away with a crucial win, not a BP win full of flair but a win nonetheless.

We have won 5 out of the last 7 matches so let's try and be positive (myself included) because despite playing badly, we won!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Yeh and that team was a semi pro team, that has conceded 158 points so far in this competition
The last time Calvisano got a point in this league was in 2013 when they drew with Brive

and people are saying a wins a win....
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:53 pm Yeh and that team was a semi pro team, that has conceded 158 points so far in this competition
The last time Calvisano got a point in this league was in 2013 when they drew with Brive

Things are really bad when RagingBull is not a happy bunny.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

It’ll be interesting to hear what Geordan says post match.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Nice to see a good away crowd supporting the boys but even the most intoxicated would have been slightly disappointed at the level of rugby on display.

I thought the selection of Harrison was too sentimental and while he deserves a good send off what is going to be more crucial to our season?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
wardy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by wardy »

Watched Tigers, now watching Sarries v Munster. The difference in standards of play between the two matches is incredible!
Give blood, play rugby!!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:56 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:53 pm Yeh and that team was a semi pro team, that has conceded 158 points so far in this competition

Things are really bad when RagingBull is not a happy bunny.
I guess it's the manner of which we played that got me.
Negative rugby.
No attempt from having a go from the 22, no attempt at doing a cheeky offload, no attempt to play some enjoyable rugby. I don't mind making mistakes in this type of game if we try something, but if you play negative rugby against a team like that it better be perfect.

Cardiff we was under dogs, it was raining and it was under the flood lights, kicking was the right move.
We kicked like 6 times whilst in their half and all the kicks was too far, no attempt to make it a proper cross field kick.

Once Reid went off we seemed to have no clue how to give the wide runners the ball.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

JP14 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:58 pm It’ll be interesting to hear what Geordan says post match.
Just the same old same old same old spin
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

sapajo wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:07 pm
JP14 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:58 pm It’ll be interesting to hear what Geordan says post match.
Just the same old same old same old spin
He just shuffles a deck of pre-written platitude cards and reads out whatever is dealt first. The one thing you can be sure of is that it will be neither interesting nor meaningful.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

I often get told I’m pessimistic but I just think I’m being realistic, so today I’m trying my best to be optimistic! Hard though.. I do agree it’s difficult playing a match when the ref makes no attempt to referee the breakdown properly and the opposition takes full advantage of that
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

JP14 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:00 pm Nice to see a good away crowd supporting the boys but even the most intoxicated would have been slightly disappointed at the level of rugby on display.

I thought the selection of Harrison was too sentimental and while he deserves a good send off what is going to be more crucial to our season?
Oh yes, on that point, people reckon we are a better team when Harrison plays. I wonder after today’s performance and result, people will still keep banging that drum!