Trouble at mill - May to go?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User
Posts: 8477
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: Trouble at mill - May to go?

Post by RagingBull » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:35 pm

JP14 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:18 pm
I have always said we need a big back three player like when we had Alesana or Goneva, if that has to be achieved at the expense of May, so be it we have Holmes and Veainu and a berry good player in Browning coming up.
Raspberry?

Mark62
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4168
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: Trouble at mill - May to go?

Post by Mark62 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:12 pm

fortysix wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:46 pm
Rather have May than Youngs, both of them, and Tuilagi.
Must keep Genge Ford and May
Why must we keep a 30 year old winger, rumoured to have slightly dodgy hamstrings

ay2oh
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 396
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:53 am
Location: leicester

Re: Trouble at mill - May to go?

Post by ay2oh » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:16 pm

Mark62 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:12 pm
fortysix wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:46 pm
Rather have May than Youngs, both of them, and Tuilagi.
Must keep Genge Ford and May
Why must we keep a 30 year old winger, rumoured to have slightly dodgy hamstrings
Because he is one of the top wingers in the world :smt016
A2O

Mark62
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4168
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: Trouble at mill - May to go?

Post by Mark62 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:20 pm

ay2oh wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:16 pm
Mark62 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:12 pm
fortysix wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:46 pm
Rather have May than Youngs, both of them, and Tuilagi.
Must keep Genge Ford and May
Why must we keep a 30 year old winger, rumoured to have slightly dodgy hamstrings
Because he is one of the top wingers in the world :smt016
Who is often under used and will carry more injuries as he gets older.

JP14
Super User
Super User
Posts: 5972
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:37 am
Location: Neverland

Re: Trouble at mill - May to go?

Post by JP14 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:58 pm

RagingBull wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:35 pm
JP14 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:18 pm
I have always said we need a big back three player like when we had Alesana or Goneva, if that has to be achieved at the expense of May, so be it we have Holmes and Veainu and a berry good player in Browning coming up.
Raspberry?
You have heard of autocorrect, right?
"Our Greatest Glory Is Not In Never Failing, But In Rising Every Time We Fall" Confucius

RagingBull
Super User
Super User
Posts: 8477
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: Trouble at mill - May to go?

Post by RagingBull » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:33 pm

JP14 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:58 pm
RagingBull wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:35 pm
JP14 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:18 pm
I have always said we need a big back three player like when we had Alesana or Goneva, if that has to be achieved at the expense of May, so be it we have Holmes and Veainu and a berry good player in Browning coming up.
Raspberry?
You have heard of autocorrect, right?
Nu vhat is, thut/

TigerS2
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 600
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:52 pm
Location: Leicester

Re: Trouble at mill - May to go?

Post by TigerS2 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:22 pm

Preparing for relegation. I suppose. It is inevitable now.

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 944
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:58 pm

Re: Trouble at mill - May to go?

Post by ABClub » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:28 pm

May is arguably in an odd place with this contract. He is one of the best wingers in international rugby but he's also 30-years old, has had injury issues and his game is largely reliant on his pace which will inevitably diminish.w Winger is also a position where wages haven't sky rocketed as they have in other areas such as fly-half.

Full backs such as Piutau or Williams usually demand bigger wages due to their tactical importance.

Radrada has signed a gigantic contract but prior to Bristol getting their checkbook out he was being touted for a move back to league as he could get more money there. His world cup performance, versatility and Bristol wanting big names to build their fan base will have helped get that huge wage.

If rumours of May being offered a salary cut from his current circa £300k pa and Ford being offered around £600k pa are both true then May has been offered half the contract that Ford has.

TigerS2
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 600
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:52 pm
Location: Leicester

Re: Trouble at mill - May to go?

Post by TigerS2 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:33 pm

ABClub wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:28 pm
May is arguably in an odd place with this contract. He is one of the best wingers in international rugby but he's also 30-years old, has had injury issues and his game is largely reliant on his pace which will inevitably diminish.w Winger is also a position where wages haven't sky rocketed as they have in other areas such as fly-half.

Full backs such as Piutau or Williams usually demand bigger wages due to their tactical importance.

Radrada has signed a gigantic contract but prior to Bristol getting their checkbook out he was being touted for a move back to league as he could get more money there. His world cup performance, versatility and Bristol wanting big names to build their fan base will have helped get that huge wage.

If rumours of May being offered a salary cut from his current circa £300k pa and Ford being offered around £600k pa are both true then May has been offered half the contract that Ford has.
BY has also had injuries and he is not as good as he was, he is also over 30 too. I would rather have May, no disrespect to Ben, but I get the impression he isn’t even happy at Leicester and only stayed because of his brother.

TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 898
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:16 pm
Location: London

Re: Trouble at mill - May to go?

Post by TomWeston » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:36 pm

ABClub wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:28 pm
...
If rumours of May being offered a salary cut from his current circa £300k pa and Ford being offered around £600k pa are both true then May has been offered half the contract that Ford has.
Do you think we need the forum’s turnaround expert to adjudicate on that or is it a statement of the sanguineous obvious?

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 944
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:58 pm

Re: Trouble at mill - May to go?

Post by ABClub » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:37 pm

I've said this before but if Stade Francais woes continue then Waisea Nayacalevu would be an excellent target. He's more powerful than our current wingers but won't cost the enormous salary that the bigger Fijian stars warrant.

I'm hoping that Steward can emerge as a fullback option over this season to ease our back three issues a bit. He has all the attributes needed to excel there. The option to use Veainu on the wing again would be very welcome too.

With May, Thompstone, Worth and Aspland-Robinson all out of contract we will probably see some changes in the back three for next season.

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 944
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:58 pm

Re: Trouble at mill - May to go?

Post by ABClub » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:39 pm

TomWeston wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:36 pm
ABClub wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:28 pm
...
If rumours of May being offered a salary cut from his current circa £300k pa and Ford being offered around £600k pa are both true then May has been offered half the contract that Ford has.
Do you think we need the forum’s turnaround expert to adjudicate on that or is it a statement of the sanguineous obvious?
Tough start to the week Tom? Always here to talk if you need mate. :smt049

Wes
Top Cat
Top Cat
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:07 pm
Location: Bath

Re: Trouble at mill - May to go?

Post by Wes » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:44 pm

Well, if those saying May is past his best, is injury prone etc are right, he won't get a decent offer from elsewhere and will stay. If he's been offered way under what he can earn elsewhere, then he ought to go for his own sake. I'd like him to stay, but then I'd say the same for the others being spoken about as well.
Mind you, it's pretty irrelevant if we go down, none of these players will be in the championship!
I only live there to wind up the population!

TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 898
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:16 pm
Location: London

Re: Trouble at mill - May to go?

Post by TomWeston » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:51 pm

ABClub wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:39 pm


Tough start to the week Tom? Always here to talk if you need mate. :smt049
S’been pretty good thus far, thanks for asking.

Salmon stir fry with a drop or two of Macon Uchizy followed by taking grandson to his swimming lesson yesterday. Shopping this morning but mainly for Christmas wine followed by a beef and red wine ragout with a drop of Rioja. Had a kip this afternoon, not unusual for an old duffer like me and then I was stimulated upon reading your post.

Seasons greetings! :smt039

Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 865
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:47 pm

Re: Trouble at mill - May to go?

Post by Doghashadhisday » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:38 pm

trendylfj wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:32 pm
I don't think I am alone in wondering if the size of our ground has something to do with the decline in season ticket sales - you can always get a ticket for every game so why spend money on a season ticket that you are not going to use 3 or 4 time a season when you can buy one when you can. I know that this is not the only reason but I do think it is a big factor.
Season tickets fell by approx. 500 but average attendance only fell by approx. 1,000 per home game. in 18/19. So you could argue that having a bigger capacity means people can buy tickets much easier and therefore not commit to a season ticket. Also with the fact that we have failed to reach the play-offs and had a very bad season last season the average attendance was bound to fall, and I can see the average falling again. The sad thing is that with every drop of 1,000 per home game we stand to add around £250,000 to our losses. Something the club cannot sustain and already there are reports/rumours of players being asked to take a pay cut.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: fortysix, JP14, longlivethecrumbie, Pmvl, Wayne Richardson Fan Club and 2 guests