Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:40 am
JP14 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:06 am Alemanno is a tall unit, however forgive my banging on about this over the last couple of seasons but I feel like Guido Petti would add so much more to our pack.

Does this mean that Spencer is on the off?
Or maybe we just want more depth and quality. Green has been solid but hasn't brought the lineout strength we hoped and doesn't make much impact in the loose. Spencer tends to be injured a fair bit so I can't see us rushing to meet his every contractual demand. It's doesn't look like Jordan or Martin are going to immediately push their way into the first team.

With TPN likely to be released and rumours of Tom Youngs retiring there should be some cap to spend even if we bring in another hooker or two. We probably won't be signing high profile internationals. We have Kerr and can get good value for money with someone like Cooper from Falcons or Woolstencroft from Sarries, they certainly won't cost as much as either of the options on the way out.
You say that like Petti would definitely move to us, maybe we’ve spoken to him and he doesn’t want to leave Argentina.

Every non-Tigers fan I’ve spoken to still identify our second row as being a massive weakness in our squad. Green was signed this season and Wells signed an extension in 2019 so imagine they’ll both be around next season.

Has Spencer been the player we all wanted when we signed him? Being harsh but probably not. Whilst he does have great physicality, he isn’t very dynamic and does have injury issues. He’s very rarely fit.

Alemanno is another massive lock who probably throws his weight around better than Spencer. Also very good at set piece and would be a good upgrade over Spencer. Him and Lavanini would make a mean pairing.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Our back 5 options apart from Tomas and Guy are embarrassingly light, Championship material but definitely no where near the standard us old Tigers supporters have become accustomed to. A few more required are absolutely vital.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Extremely harsh on Reffell, Lewis, Kalamafoni, Liebenberg 46.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Good point LTT, I believe Green has made a good impact on our lineout, it’s just his hookers that are failing him or his lifters, but as a fellow jumper I will admit bias.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

JP14 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:06 am Good point LTT, I believe Green has made a good impact on our lineout, it’s just his hookers that are failing him or his lifters, but as a fellow jumper I will admit bias.
I think Wells and Green would be fine as backups in a well drilled pack. Green was very good for Newcastle in a unit that matched the likes of Toulon.

Being a bit harsh on our backrow, Liebenberg, Kalamafoni, Taufua, Thompson and Reffell are all good players. Lewis coming up too. Kalamafoni has been playing some of his best rugby post World Cup mainly at 6. Still to see the best from Liebenberg and Taufua but the quality is there.

Maybe could do with another quality addition but I wouldn’t have it top of my priority list. If a new coach is coming in, I imagine he would be pretty happy with the backrow.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

I know all teams have injuries but our best match day 4 of Taufua, Liebenberg, Thompson and Kalamafoni have not yet been all available together

I’ve said for a while we need another quality 2nd row
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

We need investment in a big back.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

JP14 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:05 am We need investment in a big back.
We've got Tuilagi but have rarely used him very well recently.

As for the back 5 of the scrum, it's much improved on paper from the last few years. Agree that Spencer hasn't come on as we hoped so another really good lock would be welcome. As for 6, 7 and 8 we may need to replace Kalamafoni or Thompson at the end of the year and I've always wished we had a big ball carrying 8. I think there's a lot more to be seen from Taufua, Refell and Liebenberg before we can really judge what we need in the back row.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

chewbacca wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:57 am Done that. He didn't like it here.
Long time ago, I would suggest he is considerably changed as a person, he also happens to be one of the best in the world & a rather impressive captain.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:29 pm
Long time ago, I would suggest he is considerably changed as a person, he also happens to be one of the best in the world & a rather impressive captain.
We would have to compete against the big french sides who would offer mega bucks
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

JP14 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:06 am Alemanno is a tall unit, however forgive my banging on about this over the last couple of seasons but I feel like Guido Petti would add so much more to our pack.

Does this mean that Spencer is on the off?
Could be Tigers planning more for Lavanini not being available at the start of season.
Petti would 100% be called up still.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:32 pm
We would have to compete against the big french sides who would offer mega bucks
Matera would be a brilliant signing. Since we're taking a trip to fantasy land, so would Kolbe, Itoje and the Barrett brothers.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

agree .
Problem is Matera has recently signed with Stade Français
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:52 pm
Mark62 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:32 pm

Matera would be a brilliant signing. Since we're taking a trip to fantasy land, so would Kolbe, Itoje and the Barrett brothers.
The Barrett brothers would be a ridiculously good capture, won't happen though, but a good dream to have.
Can we get someone to photo shop Beauden into a Tigers shirt....
To win is not as important as playing with style!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Facundo IsaIs out of contract