Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Calvisano - Teams up!

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:21 am
Mark62 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:38 am
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:37 am

Potentially win the challenge cup and get champions cup rugby but get relegated whilst doing it! Ealing Trailfinders one week Leinster the next!
I’m fairly sure you can’t play in the champions cup if you’re in the championship
Why not? I know they play whatever the B&I Cup is these days during the European period but I’m sure we could field a b side in the Cup whilst playing in the Champions Cup.
No I meant there is a regulation against it. Apologies if this isn’t correct.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Can’t see the problem in fielding a strong squad myself. Realistically, it’s our one chance of silverware and a place in the premier European competition next season (or at least a day out to a final!), prioritises rebuilding WF as a fortress (more importantly the perception of WR as a fortress in the mind of other teams), and most importantly, the chance to get the internationals further integrated in to the ideas that have been developed while they were away before we hit the Prem games.

Hate to say it but personally, I think some are not considering how good Saints are this season. And doing it with pretty rugby as well. Title contenders in my opinion. Feel free to remind me at the end of the season.

My one worry is the usual trap that some think we will stuff Calvisano. They will fancy this one themselves.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I worry about this "the internationals need time to gel" theory. Most of them have just spent months together with the same international team and have spent years playing together for Tigers. If it looks like they've never played together before then it's hard to argue it's through lack of opportunity and that a rout of Calvisano will suddenly make them familiar with each other again.

Either this selection is desperation because GM thinks that a win against Calvisano will get supporters back on side and restore squad confidence, or arrogance that we don't need to worry about Premiership survival. Or option three is that the return fixture will provide ample rest for those playing today and he doesn't want them to have 3 weeks with no game time, sometimes too much rest can be a bad thing. It's probably a bit of 1 and 3, which is fair enough

If a similar team goes over to Italy as well then I think we're in trouble because then it will just be option 1 which I think is a little hopeful to say the least, but regardless I don't see that any result or performance today is capable of sparking a significant uplift in the league.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:09 pm It's probably a bit of 1 and 3, which is fair enough
I agree. Need a win, need some confidence and need to get the supporters back on side. I reckon we will send a team over to Italy similar to the one we sent to Cardiff. Players have had a bit more game time to practise a few plays, the line-out calls etc and then get rested next week ready for the big home match vs Exeter.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:50 am Can’t see the problem in fielding a strong squad myself. Realistically, it’s our one chance of silverware and a place in the premier European competition next season (or at least a day out to a final!), prioritises rebuilding WF as a fortress (more importantly the perception of WR as a fortress in the mind of other teams), and most importantly, the chance to get the internationals further integrated in to the ideas that have been developed while they were away before we hit the Prem games.

Hate to say it but personally, I think some are not considering how good Saints are this season. And doing it with pretty rugby as well. Title contenders in my opinion. Feel free to remind me at the end of the season.

My one worry is the usual trap that some think we will stuff Calvisano. They will fancy this one themselves.
Totally agree they are currently holding their own against Leinster though just conceded a third try.

Calvisano really aren’t very good, Nottingham would beat them
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Leinster (now five tries with a healthy lead) taking it to Saints. Hope someone is taking notes.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

markharbtiger wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:10 pm Leinster (now five tries with a healthy lead) taking it to Saints. Hope someone is taking notes.
I think it shows how poorly we used the ball last week, they are vulnerable if run at, but we just didn’t do it.

Saints may struggle to qualify now as they still have to go to Dublin and Lyon.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:50 am Can’t see the problem in fielding a strong squad myself. Realistically, it’s our one chance of silverware and a place in the premier European competition next season (or at least a day out to a final!), prioritises rebuilding WF as a fortress (more importantly the perception of WR as a fortress in the mind of other teams), and most importantly, the chance to get the internationals further integrated in to the ideas that have been developed while they were away before we hit the Prem games.

Absolutely agree, they're playing brilliant rugby. But herein lies the problem.

May 2018. Tigers have just finished in 5th place, level on points with 4th and 5 places and twenty points ahead of Northampton. Boyd joins Saints in August, while Tigers sack O'Connor a few weeks later and put Murphy in the hot seat. Fast forward 16 months and Saints have finished 4th in the following season, 7 places and 15 points ahead of Tigers who have scraped survival. Saints now look like title challengers while Tigers are one of the favourites for relegation.

That's a huge turnaround in a very short space of time and is not a comparison of Murphy vs Boyd (with Boyd's experience such a comparison would be unfair on Murphy) but a comparison of the people who appointed them. You can't criticise Murphy for not being as good as Boyd (how could he be with so little experience? It's like criticising me for not being as good at archery as an Olympic medal winning archer - I've never even held a bow whereas he's been honing his craft for years), you can only criticise the people who took such a huge risk in giving him the job.
20yearsatiger
Tiger Cub

Post by 20yearsatiger »

I’m here after travelling nearly 3 hours and doing the usual 140 miles to be here. Seems few others are!!! Attendance seems woeful
Let’s hope we are better than last week
Come on Tigers!
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

20yearsatiger wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:49 pm I’m here after travelling nearly 3 hours and doing the usual 140 miles to be here. Seems few others are!!! Attendance seems woeful
Let’s hope we are better than last week
Come on Tigers!
:smt038 :smt038 :smt038
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Leinster are everything we’re not. Seriously impressive second half v Saints. Bit of a reality check for our neighbours...
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

markharbtiger wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:58 pm Leinster are everything we’re not. Seriously impressive second half v Saints. Bit of a reality check for our neighbours...
Impressive indeed. Makes our performance against saints look even more woeful. A chasm between us and Leinster.
I'm not cynical just experienced
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Tigers v Calvisano

Post by RichieB »

RichieB wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:26 pm I'll be there too, so that's at last 3.
Sorry if the attendance is woeful. I'd promised JP14 I'd be there but got a severe case of IBS, so - man down. Quack asked if there was anything specifically causing me stress, I dare not tell him the first thing that came into my mind was Tigers league performance! Following it on the iPad though. Looks like a non-contest already!
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Yes indeed it does look like a complete non-contest. 26-0 last I looked. Whether this justifies the strong team we fielded, who knows. I just hope no-one we cannot do without gets injured...
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Well seems Manu has gone off
I'm not cynical just experienced