Tigers v Calvisano - Teams up!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Calvisano

Post by Chobbsy »

drc_007 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:07 pm Leicester Tigers (v Rugby Calvisano, Welford Road, Saturday 3.00pm)

15 Freddie Steward
14 Adam Thompstone
13 Manu Tuilagi
12 Noel Reid
11 Jonny May
10 George Ford
9 Ben Youngs
1 Facundo Gigena
2 Tom Youngs (c)
3 Dan Cole
4 Sam Lewis
5 Calum Green
6 Jordan Coghlan
7 Tommy Reffell
8 Sione Kalamafoni
Replacements

16 Jake Kerr
17 Nephi Leatigaga
18 Joe Heyes
19 Ifereimi Boladau
20 Guy Thompson
21 Sam Harrison
22 Tom Hardwick
23 Telusa Veainu
Seems a decent team, although I know nothing about Freddie Steward, I hope Jordan Tafua is just being rested and it isn't a serious injury
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Calvisano - Teams up!

Post by RagingBull »

Tuafua is training with some Crusaders players whilst at a wedding in NZ.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Steward very promising at fullback, certainly up to the job pace wise and physically, certainly one for the future.

Taufua at a wedding in New Zealand which one imagines was pre arranged and fell in line with these 2 weeks where she isn’t necessarily needed.
Should give him extra time to to recover from his concussion issues too.
Lavanini is in lanzerote
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:56 am Steward very promising at fullback, certainly up to the job pace wise and physically, certainly one for the future.

Taufua at a wedding in New Zealand which one imagines was pre arranged and fell in line with these 2 weeks where she isn’t necessarily needed.
Lavanini is in lanzerote
Thanks for the clarification, the only other issues is the omission of all the New Saffers
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Chobbsy wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:10 am
Mark62 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:56 am Steward very promising at fullback, certainly up to the job pace wise and physically, certainly one for the future.

Lavanini is in lanzerote
Thanks for the clarification, the only other issues is the omission of all the New Saffers
Liebenberg still injured, not aware of injuries to either Taute or Viljoen
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Lavanini is in lanzerote
I've heard those nip and tucks take some getting over too! :smt002
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Have to say I really don't understand the selection process, we play kids in a tough away game at Cardiff then pile on the big guns to beat some makeweights (in a rugby sense, sure they're lovely lads) at home? Add in some players who are very prone to injury and I can see this costing us for no real gain.
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:10 am Have to say I really don't understand the selection process, we play kids in a tough away game at Cardiff then pile on the big guns to beat some makeweights (in a rugby sense, sure they're lovely lads) at home? Add in some players who are very prone to injury and I can see this costing us for no real gain.
Probably to placate the fans as we're at home, take the heat off GM when we win.
Brianf

Post by Brianf »

For those interested, here is the Calvisano Team..a couple of ex internationals and a returning Tigers player. They have named 25 players...although assuming they will only play 23 at any point :smt002 . This varies slightly to the Tigers app information, but this was taken from the Calvisano official Facebook feed.

15. Jacopo Trulla
14. Marco Susio
13. Giacomo De Santis
12. Damiano Mazza
11. Facundo Panceyra Garrido
10. Paolo Pescetto,
9. Nicolo Casilio
1. Riccardo Brugnara
2. Matteo Luccardi
3. Lorenzo Cittadini,
4. Davide Zanetti
5. Adam Wessels
6. Alessandro Izekor
7. Andrea Martani
8. Samuela Vunisa

A disposizione: (Replacements, to you!)
16. Gabriele Morelli
17. Antonio Barducci
18. Piermaria Leso
19. Andrea Zambonin
20. Antoine Koffi
21. Federico Consoli
22. Alberto Chiesa
23. Federico Mori

24. Gabriele Venditti
25. Michele Regonaschi
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Ah yes, Brugnara, part of our experiment with hiring loads of Italians after Castro left. Glad to see he's still playing.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:10 am Have to say I really don't understand the selection process, we play kids in a tough away game at Cardiff then pile on the big guns to beat some makeweights (in a rugby sense, sure they're lovely lads) at home? Add in some players who are very prone to injury and I can see this costing us for no real gain.
Some will say to boost players' confidence, but I don't really buy into that. I can't see a thrashing of Calvisano being the catalyst for a revival in fortunes but I hope to be proved wrong.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

the big guns played like they had never met before, clearly then need a lot of game time together
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

All games at WR should be taken seriously and the season ticket holders should get to see wins. We need to try and regain the fortress mentality at home. Away games then send the second string or a mixed team but at home we should be making a statement.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:48 pm the big guns played like they had never met before, clearly then need a lot of game time together
Completely agree. Lot's of comments about resting our big names in case they get injured/suspended but I just don't see the point personally. Yes we're up against Italian minnows and yes our academy youngsters would probably beat them anyway (especially after an impressive showing in Cardiff) so I can understand this point of view but the 'first team' whoever they might be on current form clearly need more time together based on recent performances.

Some, if not all of the WC England boys will be off to the 6N in the not too distant future so I think we need to make the most of these next few games to try a few different things and get some consistency on match days and not just in training. That way we can hit the ground running for the big home game vs Exeter in a few weeks time. Yes the players risk getting injured and personally I wouldn't have risked TV as he's only just back, but we can't wrap them up in cotton wool and keep them on the sidelines for fear of injury. They need all the confidence and game time they can get right now imo and if back to back BP wins against Calvisano can help to bring a bit of confidence back then I'm all for this positive team selection by GM.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:34 am Think Murphy is dammed either way...Put out a younger team and we scrape a win then he gets pillered. Put out a strong team and we win, people will say we should have won and it makes no diffence. A player gets injured, then he will get pelters for playing such a strong team...and finally, God forbid we come second in this game....It does not bare thinking about...

I agree with playing a strong team. We need to start to get that winning feeling and we are not winning the Leauge this season, so this is our only chance of silverware.
Hear hear! :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!