Tigers v Calvisano - Teams up!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Calvisano

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Systonite wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:07 pm With respect to some previous posts, I'm finding it difficult to see the point in fielding a strong side at home to Calvisano.

The various first team players have played in combination before in match situations. They are professional full-time rugby players, who train together daily.

It cannot, or at least should not, boost confidence to beat Calvisano at home. Calvisano are not in the Pro 14 and would struggle in the English Championship. They have previously won games in European competition, but only 5 from 74, with their last win being 7 years ago against a Portuguese team. Their last 5 European Challenge Cup games have seen them concede 279 points, an average of 55.8 per match. Their best recent result was at home to Cardiff, against whom they conceded a mere 38.

Thrashing Calvisano with a strong side achieves nothing, risks injury and suspensions, neglects squad players and reduces competition for places.
While I would have completely agreed with you in seasons gone by I think the coaches need to start trying to ascertain where things are going wrong. The players and coaches seem clueless as to why we are underperforming to such an extent and unless something miraculous happens we will be playing in the Championship next season. I know that there is a long way to go with plenty of games left (and Wasps and Bath are only a few points above us) so this is quite a statement after only 5 games but it's the manner in which we have played that concerns me, not just the 4 points we have notched up after 5 games!

Yes, they are professional full-time rugby players but where was the evidence of this last weekend? I think they all need time on the field together as whatever is going on in training is clearly not being reflected on match day. It is a tough one as you rightly say due to the risk of injury, suspension etc. but something has to change and soon. We don't really want the next time our first choice 15 play together being vs Exeter do we?
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

A lot of players have been given time off it seems so expect to see a mixed/developmental side akin to the one sent to Cardiff.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:42 pm I think the coaches need to start trying to ascertain where things are going wrong.
I don't think giving a Calvisano a massive drubbing will right all the wrongs.
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:42 pmWe don't really want the next time our first choice 15 play together being vs Exeter do we?
Personally I would say yes.

You are aware that they do train during the week. Hard to believe on current performances I know but if you go to Oval Park you can see it with your own eyes :smt002 :smt003
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

Wells is banned for two weeks. Given Lavanini is on holiday and Spencer is injured that means that those young locks Jordan and Martin in line to play a lot against them over the next two weeks

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50666162
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=Spicer post_id=729518 time=1575492605 user_id=10788]
Wells is banned for two weeks. Given Lavanini is on holiday and Spencer is injured that means that those young locks Jordan and Martin in line to play a lot against them over the next two weeks

[/quote]

Jordan perhaps, but I think Martin is also banned after being sent off for use of the head. Playing for Lions, I think.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Spicer wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:50 pm Wells is banned for two weeks. Given Lavanini is on holiday and Spencer is injured that means that those young locks Jordan and Martin in line to play a lot against them over the next two weeks

Martin got a 5 week ban so he isn't available. Free to play 16/12/2019
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Realistically we're not going to get anything off Chiefs so might as well use that as the combinations practise time, come out swinging v Bristol and Bath where we might be able to nick a few points.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

So going on who’s not injured, suspended or on holiday I would guess at a starting 15 of

Genge, Kerr, Lady Gaga, Green, Jordan, Lewis, Reffell, Coghlan, Harrison, Reid, Olowefela, Hardwick, Taute, Vieanu, Worth
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

Thanks RB an MurphysLaw.
Mark62 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:23 pm So going on who’s not injured, suspended or on holiday I would guess at a starting 15 of

Genge, Kerr, Lady Gaga, Green, Jordan, Lewis, Reffell, Coghlan, Harrison, Reid, Olowefela, Hardwick, Taute, Vieanu, Worth
Reffell, Olowofela and Veaniu have all been out injured. They might be back though
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Spicer wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:47 pm Thanks RB an MurphysLaw.
Mark62 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:23 pm So going on who’s not injured, suspended or on holiday I would guess at a starting 15 of

Reffell, Olowofela and Veaniu have all been out injured. They might be back though
Thought I read that all 3 were back in full training,
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Systonite wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:07 pm The various first team players have played in combination before in match situations. They are professional full-time rugby players, who train together daily.
...and how have they performed? They look like strangers to me, therefore they need to get more match time and get some structure back in their game. Murphy will field another development side and win, but when the next Prem game comes round we’ll be back to square one.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

A first team thrashing Calvisano achieves nothing.

Most of what works against a team like that will not have the same result against a premiership side.

If it did raise confidence it would be misplaced confidence - if any player or coach felt that a single one of our problems were solved after sticking 70 past Calvisano, we'd only be in even more trouble against Exeter.

The players will find themselves under more pressure in training, so that is the place to work on combinations etc. As others have pointed out, most of these players have played together for years, so lack of familiarity is an incredibly weak excuse or explanation.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

ourla wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:18 am
trendylfj wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:53 am One reason we got hammered at Saints was that it was the 1st game of the season some combinations had played together - not the only one but an important reason.
Not sure I agree with that. The forward pack have had game time together and 4 of the 7 of our back line have been training and playing together all summer.

The more I think about it, the more I think the whole thing is a bit of a mystery to be honest. A couple of Tom Youngs line outs were so squint it was literally laughable and then Kerr is told to throw over the back of the line in situations that simply don't justify the tactic. We should have been mullering Saints scrum. We needed stop Saints passing game at source. Instead we punt the ball to them and invite them to run at us. And have no line speed.

Even if Murphy is :censored: he can't be that :censored:.
The combinations I was referring to who were being tried out for the 1st time in a competitive match were the centers (which GM said was a risk I believe) and the back row. Training together and playing are 2 different things. Where did we give away tries??? One through a hole in the centers defence (not the only time Saints came through the centers) and 2 through line out cock-ups thrown to the back. Not allocating blame just pointing out the 3 main targets - Lavi/Wells/Green) haven't had game time together. There are a lot of things which have to connect to make a successful line out not just the targets. I just didn't like new combination being asked to perform in such an important game. Yes we should have mullered their scrum, yes. why the throwing in wasn't good enough was almost laughable and yes, why it went wrong is a mystery which is why I want to give as many of those combination as possible game time this weekend. Will it happen - of course not.
Hehehehehehehehe
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

The Sarries players fitted in seamlessly against Bath, the lack of game time is no excuse it’s the training beforehand.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni