Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2

Post by BFG »

kornboy130 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:57 pm
JP14 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:05 pm And now they’re in negotiations to re-sign him, get rid of him now! The sooner, the better.
Amazing how this style of post never actually manages to answer why he's part of the problem - or at least not address the counter argument that our playing style up front/potentially quality of players in the pack hasn't allowed him to flourish.

If only he played for another team as well as Tigers - a team with dynamic forwards who allowed him to dictate play with his kicking and running game - he'd probably get selected for them all the time and they'd probably be pretty good. Might even make an RWC final.
And then be made to look silly by a team that won't be dictated to!
BTW I think that he is a good player but it's possible that sometimes people and places just need new perspectives and challenges.
The questions of his consistency are fair in my opinion.
Last edited by BFG on Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

His kicking for four/five years has been utterly atrocious, has no leadership, cannot be asked to galvanise his team for club or country. The front foot excuse is not a good enough counter argument as he’s hardly world beating when on the front foot, which doesn’t affect his box-kicking really that much.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crumblies »

fentiger wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:38 am
JP14 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:32 am I disagree, Youngs is part of the problem and needs booting asap.
+1, such a shame Sam is off, proper Tiger!
That’s ok it’s your opinion, just as long as you guys accept that its exactly that your opinion and opinions vary. In particular renowned England coaches who have seen fit to make BY the most capped England SH.

Just explain to me why if Ben is so terrible and our position is all his fault how-come when he’s away with England we don’t see a marked improvement in play or results when Harrison or White replaces him?
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Crumblies wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:51 pm
fentiger wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:38 am
JP14 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:32 am I disagree, Youngs is part of the problem and needs booting asap.
+1, such a shame Sam is off, proper Tiger!
That’s ok it’s your opinion, just as long as you guys accept that its exactly that your opinion and opinions vary. In particular renowned England coaches who have seen fit to make BY the most capped England SH.

Just explain to me why if Ben is so terrible and our position is all his fault how-come when he’s away with England we don’t see a marked improvement in play or results when Harrison or White replaces him?
I don’t think anyone is saying it’s all his fault, more that he’s expensive and seemingly, a bit of a prima donna.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Makes me chuckle when folk compare BY England form to his Leicester form and always blame the clubs forwards.
At international level most of BY ball is provided by players from one club, yes you know that one!
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

BFG wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:17 pm Makes me chuckle when folk compare BY England form to his Leicester form and always blame the clubs forwards.
At international level most of BY ball is provided by players from one club, yes you know that one!
Isn't that the point? Behind our forwards he doesn't flourish, behing theirs he does?

I don't think he is the messiah or above reproach and consistency has been an issue - but "he is part of the problem" and comments such as this are dismissive in the extreme. His ability for England and Leicester when given options is undoubted and when he has been playing for England he has still shown himself to be a class operator.

Our form has dipped (in particular our forward play) and so has his which seems a more sensible assessment of the dynamic given he does still perform well at a higher level.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

kornboy130 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:23 pm
BFG wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:17 pm Makes me chuckle when folk compare BY England form to his Leicester form and always blame the clubs forwards.
Isn't that the point? Behind our forwards he doesn't flourish, behing theirs he does?

I don't think he is the messiah or above reproach and consistency has been an issue - but "he is part of the problem" and comments such as this are dismissive in the extreme. His ability for England and Leicester when given options is undoubted and when he has been playing for England he has still shown himself to be a class operator.

Our form has dipped (in particular our forward play) and so has his which seems a more sensible assessment of the dynamic given he does still perform well at a higher level.
At club level you're missing the part that got a massive fine and points deduction!
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

I’ve just read a rumour on The Rugbyrama site that Clermont and Toulouse may be interested in signing Ben Youngs!!!
Semper in excretia
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

In my opinion we won't be able to re-sign all three of Youngs, Ford, Genge and May. Youngs will want similar money to what he is currently on. Ford, Genge and May will likely want increases.

Ford and Genge are undoubtedly the priorities. After that there are arguments for and against both Youngs and May.

For Lenny to go to France and make more money overall he will need to be on a huge salary to offset his England match fees. £25k a start and he almost always does start under Jones.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

ABClub wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:33 pm In my opinion we won't be able to re-sign all three of Youngs, Ford, Genge and May..
By my reckoning that is four.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

drc_007 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:36 pm
ABClub wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:33 pm In my opinion we won't be able to re-sign all three of Youngs, Ford, Genge and May..
By my reckoning that is four.
Seems I can't count or type. Life's going good.

I don't think we will re-sign all 4 to clarify. Re-signing 3 of the 4 and re-distributing some cap through the squad might not be a bad thing though.

Lozowski is out of contract and would be a brilliant player to target with May's cap for instance.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Anyone know the length of contract Thacker signed when he joined Bristol? I’d happily throw TPN and Youngs cap to bring him back!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:21 am Anyone know the length of contract Thacker signed when he joined Bristol? I’d happily throw TPN and Youngs cap to bring him back!
He does well against teams a man down and with uncontested scrums.
Show pony!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Reinach, De Klerk, Hougaard, Heinz, Nic White, Takulua.. seems we have fallen behind in the 9 shirt department over the last few seasons. Such an important position and one that needs strengthening for sure. Easy to point the finger at one individual and that's not what I'm doing but there are some world class names on that list and sadly we are somewhat lacking in consistent quality options here imho
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Thacker does well in a team where the flexibility is given for him to do what he is good at. Under Lam it works it would never work on the international stage and a coach would have to agree to give him his head whoever signed him.

Schalk Brits is a comparable type of player, box office and brilliant but there is a reason he didn’t get a lot more springbok caps
Last edited by Mark62 on Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.