Saints away - Saturday 30th November

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Saints away - Saturday 30th November

Post by Tiglon »

fortysix wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:52 pm Who would you rather have ??
Olafewla 10 stone or Nayaravoro 20 stone ? Sums up half the Tigers these days. Especially the blinking locks and back row, bar Thompson.
Back in the long distant past, the only lightweight was Les flipping Cusworth. Varndell at least scored tries for fun.
Now our recent squads are mainly Championship material with a number of soon to be ex Internationals and positively about a dozen that would have featured in the halycon days.
I really don't think we can blame it on a lack of power in the forwards this season. Saints had plenty of small players against us and it wasn't a problem for them.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

fortysix wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:52 pm Who would you rather have ??
Olafewla 10 stone or Nayaravoro 20 stone ? Sums up half the Tigers these days. Especially the blinking locks and back row, bar Thompson.
Back in the long distant past, the only lightweight was Les flipping Cusworth. Varndell at least scored tries for fun.
Now our recent squads are mainly Championship material with a number of soon to be ex Internationals and positively about a dozen that would have featured in the halycon days.
The traditional back three set up for anything that I remember was an exceptionally good one, a fast one, and a tank.
That's pretty much Saints back three set up although I've seen Naya-what's-his-name get hit hard and he isn't so interested when this happens and I'd rather have Furbank and Collins.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

i don't quite get why Olowofela is being compared to Nayaravoro, when Saints had Collins on the other wing who isn't exactly a giant.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Also worth noting that players like Naiyaravoro are very rare because its incredibly difficult to run that fast when you're 19st! There's a young Waikato Chiefs winger called Ataata Moeakiola I'd love to see in a Tigers shirt, dude looks like he works out on two gym machines at once.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Whilst I don’t agree with 46’s comparisons, I do think since Goneva left we have missed that big player in the back 3.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Alesana wasnt particularly bothered about tackling head on, , and to add fuel to the fire , nor is Manu. That is someone, 17 stone plus, running directly at them....... Anthony Allen, similar Brad Barritt, totally different ballgame. Those boys had guts, lots of it.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

JP14 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:49 pm Whilst I don’t agree with 46’s comparisons, I do think since Goneva left we have missed that big player in the back 3.
Agreed there. If Stade Francais get relegated then Waisea Nayacalevu would be an excellent target for us. He isn't at the same superstar status as several of Fiji's other outside backs but he's still a brilliant winger.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

ABClub wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:35 pm
JP14 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:49 pm Whilst I don’t agree with 46’s comparisons, I do think since Goneva left we have missed that big player in the back 3.
Agreed there. If Stade Francais get relegated then Waisea Nayacalevu would be an excellent target for us. He isn't at the same superstar status as several of Fiji's other outside backs but he's still a brilliant winger.
would agree also re Nayacalevu ;problem though , in our current plight , the potential wish-list just gets bigger and longer.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
tigerssteve

Post by tigerssteve »

And we are on the naughty list so won't get any presents!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I think we need to see our squad performing to their ability before we can start to question it's deficiencies or what could be better.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Lets try to be positive, we played against top of table away at Saints, so we lost with a very bad performance but we had our stars back for the first time. I imagine they had a right go at each other on Monday and I don't expect a full team to perform so badly again.
So can we get anything out of a home game against Exeter, why not, can we beat Quins away, why not and I'm sure we can beat Bristol at home and so on through the rest of the season with our stars we can beat others. I'm not expecting to lose many of them in the 6 Nations, some will be rested by Jones, others have finished their international careers meaning they will be available to us. Jones will be trying new players, so weakening other teams to our advantage, so there you are, Yes we can stay up, but the team must pull together and not repeat the Saints fiasco.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

LE18, I am unable to fathom why you are so hopeful that the players will suddenly start to get results against some of the top teams?

There have been no indications so far, and unless there is some sort of leadership on the field, skills training, coaching and strategic planning off the field, nothing will change.
Valhalla I am coming!
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

fleabane wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:47 pm LE18, I am unable to fathom why you are so hopeful that the players will suddenly start to get results against some of the top teams?

There have been no indications so far, and unless there is some sort of leadership on the field, skills training, coaching and strategic planning off the field, nothing will change.
Over the last few seasons we have heard the squad repeatedly talking about new levels of ‘clarity’ over the style of play, but I agree with Fleabane, that the lack of leadership on the pitch is the unspoken problem. The Tigers way, where leadership is by example - the most honest form of leadership perhaps - is still necessary, but in itself is no longer sufficient. We need to add in leadership by direction.

Last season Ford gave us a lot of that direction, but he had an off day against Saints.That might be because he is fatigued or because some idiot England coach put all the blame on him for England losing the World Cup.

I am hopeful that he will bounce back quickly, and will be central to achieving our ambition of reaching mid-table this season.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Didn't realise he had even been cited... just seen Harry Wells banned for two weeks. It just gets better :smt017
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

fentiger wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:46 pm Didn't realise he had even been cited... just seen Harry Wells banned for two weeks. It just gets better :smt017
If he had to miss two weeks then these two weeks are the best to miss. Give Cam Jordan a go instead.