CRISIS: WHAT CRISIS?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: CRISIS: WHAT CRISIS?

Post by jgriffin »

sapajo wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:50 pm The Chairman and his board have ruined our once great club.

They are all sitting firmly on their hands in the hope that they can get out of jail with a quick sale of the club.

The problem is that we are now past the date by which Mr Cohen informed the supporters forum that the sale would be concluded by ( November)

This means the Chairman must either make a massive fiscal injection to save the club or sell cheaply.

The silence remains deafening and it is now a fully fledged crisis.
Agree 100%. Sick of Peter Tom evading major responsibility.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

If he's good at evading then maybe he could coach our backline then?
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

ABClub wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:08 pm From my understanding the rugby committee consists of:

Peter Tom
Simon Cohen
Ged Glynn
Geordan Murphy
Ben Kay
Rory Underwood

I'm not sure whether Jan McGinity is now on that but if he isn't I see little means for him to change things given how Tigers run. McGinity needs to be one of the loudest voices on the committee to bring outside ideas from his experience.

Cohen should be nowhere near it.

If Borthwick arrives as head coach then he has to be on there to make real change.

If Geordan stays as DOR taking charge of the pathway from academy, through development, to the senior side then he needs to remain on the committee to have any chance of performing that role. If Geordan is in charge of that side of things then I don't see why Glynn would remain on the committee.

Kay and Underwood are Tigers legends but there is no evidence to suggest they have used their roles as Non-Executive Directors and committee members to prevent the slide.
There shouldn't even be a committee. Stop playing governance and put one person who knows what he or she is doing in charge.

Typical old boys club mentality. Committees are about making people feel important and not about making good decisions.

The whole thing is absolutely steeped in outdated bull. Do Exeter have a rugby committee, or do they have a strong leader with a clear vision?
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

G.K wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:34 pm If he's good at evading then maybe he could coach our backline then?
That's actually not a bad idea, is there anything in the rule book that specifically bans using private helicopters on the pitch?
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:41 pm
ABClub wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:08 pm From my understanding the rugby committee consists of:

Peter Tom
Simon Cohen
Ged Glynn
Geordan Murphy
Ben Kay
Rory Underwood

I'm not sure whether Jan McGinity is now on that but if he isn't I see little means for him to change things given how Tigers run. McGinity needs to be one of the loudest voices on the committee to bring outside ideas from his experience.

Cohen should be nowhere near it.

If Borthwick arrives as head coach then he has to be on there to make real change.

If Geordan stays as DOR taking charge of the pathway from academy, through development, to the senior side then he needs to remain on the committee to have any chance of performing that role. If Geordan is in charge of that side of things then I don't see why Glynn would remain on the committee.

Kay and Underwood are Tigers legends but there is no evidence to suggest they have used their roles as Non-Executive Directors and committee members to prevent the slide.
There shouldn't even be a committee. Stop playing governance and put one person who knows what he or she is doing in charge.

Typical old boys club mentality. Committees are about making people feel important and not about making good decisions.

The whole thing is absolutely steeped in outdated bull. Do Exeter have a rugby committee, or do they have a strong leader with a clear vision?
Chiefs rugby decisions from my understanding fall on:

Tony Rowe - CEO and for all intents and purposes the financial backing for Chiefs. They are making a profit now but the bulk of investment came from Rowe and still does.

Keiron Northcott - Club chairman of the 25 man committee that ran Exeter prior to the club developing into a potential Prem side under Rowe. The committee was disbanded and as chairman Northcott was made deputy CEO and sits on the board.

Rob Baxter - DOR

Steve Byrne - Academy Director

Interestingly Chiefs have two boards of directors. One for Exeter Rugby Club Group PLC and a seperate one for Exeter Rugby Club Ltd. Though Rowe, Baxter, Alan Quantick (financial director) and Chris Over (company secretary) sit on both boards.

Board committees making big decisions isn't anything new or special in rugby.

Issue is that Tigers one has got rotten and direly needs fresh voices.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Boards are nothing new indeed. The main function of a board in a small company like Tigers should be to appoint and oversee the one person running the club.

There's a huge difference between a board and a board that has sub-committees to interfere in employees' jobs.

There's a Head of Rugby Operations, right? So how can that person be truly Head of Rugby Operations if there's a rugby committee to make the decisions?

I have such a strong view on this because I've worked for a sports club with this exact same committee culture and attitude. They could employ the best people but nothing ever got better because those people weren't allowed to do their jobs. Far too many chiefs getting involved leads to confusion and interference within the chain of command.

How can a Head Coach or Head of Rugby Operations ever do his job if everyone who reports to him knows that he's not making the decisions, and if half the players are close friends with the sub-committee that he reports to?

Of course Exeter has a board, but that really isn't the same as a sub-committee for rugby. Does Baxter have a group of ex-players etc telling him what to do? Does McCall at Sarries? No chance, and that's how you end up with a clear vision and playing identity instead of the confused and embarrassing :censored: we've increasingly seen from Tigers for years.

There's a reason why none of our Head Coaches stick around unless they have been with Tigers all their careers - they aren't part of that committee culture and they came here expecting to be able to get on with their jobs.
tigerssteve

Post by tigerssteve »

RichieB wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:58 pm
tigerssteve wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:48 pm
Scuttle wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:19 pm A number of people have agreed we actually have a good squad of players, from whom the coaches seem unable to entice the sort of performance they are capable of producing. Given that foundation, I think any decent, ambitious coach would jump at the chance to get the results the players can deliver and with it a huge amount of kudos. I don't think the Board have anyone lined up to come in, Borthwick included, and therein lies the problem; if they did there would have been some communication affirming or otherwise, or at the least a credible and meaningful holding position. Given where the club is at the moment the communication and engagement activity should be much sharper than it is. As someone elsewhere has said, the current Board performance has Harvard/Henley Case Study written all over it.
The facts are that we could field a complete 15 of international players, given that some tinkering with positions has to be done. A strong minded ambitious coach should leap at that chance, with one proviso. He needs 100% control over everything player related. That's where the dambusters dog starts nibbling the woodpile. It's not going to happen. Not unless the coach in question is so high profile he cannot be argued with. When I win the euromillions, I will buy the club, lock stock and barrel and replace the board with forum posters I agree with. I will coach the team myself, naturally, it's my money. My motivational techniques will involve a decent size carrot and a stick the size of the Blackpool tower. Let's see if commitment improved with that approach. My coaching qualification is roughly the same as smurf, I coached my primary school touch rugby team to seventh place in the North West Leicestershire conference in 2013, then retired to soak up the glory. I feel ready to get back on the horse again. Signing off to register for lotto website. Keep the faith, I'm coming!!
Dear Steve, please consider my application to be part of your team - for only a fraction of the salary of the present incumbents. I have zero coaching qualifications but promise to get them to stop aimlessly kicking the ball away.
You're in!
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

:smt026 :smt051 :smt041 :smt006
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

RichieB wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:04 am :smt026 :smt051 :smt041 :smt006
The above can be the new warm up exercise pre-match for the players.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Anyone remind me why we got rid of Mauger again so quickly?
trevb

Post by trevb »

I'm now confident no one from the club reads these messageboards, if they did someone somewhere would have made some kind of response. As normal, nothing from the club, only replies are from the fans.

Just make the changes now and announce it, we can't wait to hear forever.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:51 am Anyone remind me why we got rid of Mauger again so quickly?

I suspect it was because he introduced a proper warm up session, and the old boys didn’t like it.

He also wanted a move away from the traditional 10 man game espoused by Cockerill as other teams worked out the (one and only) game plan. And that was never going to do.
Valhalla I am coming!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

fleabane wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:18 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:51 am Anyone remind me why we got rid of Mauger again so quickly?

I suspect it was because he introduced a proper warm up session, and the old boys didn’t like it.

He also wanted a move away from the traditional 10 man game espoused by Cockerill as other teams worked out the (one and only) game plan. And that was never going to do.
It was Loffreda who brought in a proper warm-up.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

RichieB wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:05 am
The above can be the new warm up exercise pre-match for the players.
That looks like what they were doing after the match at Saints.
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

Is the one on the right Jonny May - waving to get noticed and hoping someone passes to him?