Silver Member
Silver Member

CRISIS: WHAT CRISIS?

Post by Traveller »

The basics of crisis management.

1. Acknowledge that there is a crisis.
2. Over respond
3. Over communicate

Leicester Tigers. Bottom of the Premiership. Shambolic performances. Zero sign of improvement. 11th/12 last season. Morale amongst supporters all time low. Club up for sale.

Zero communication from club. There is no crisis. Sleep tight.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: CRISIS: WHAT CRISIS?

Post by Mark62 »

I agree with you totally, only thing I’ve seen today is a rehash of the same excuses from Murphy
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

As a supporter, I just want to hear that the senior people at the club comprehend just how bad things have become.

And then for a lot of them to resign.
trevb

Post by trevb »

hurry up and announce the change of coach or DOR, been waiting since saturday. Must be any time now, this cannot be allowed to continue.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Kay and Underwood should definitely be considering their places on the board.

Any coach worth recruiting will trust Cohen about as far as he can throw him at this stage. As CEO Cohen should be solely dealing with the clubs business aspects and nowhere near any rugby decisions. He became head of rugby operations in 2005 and acting CEO in 2011, then became CEO. He has held far too much influence in rugby decisions since moving on from head of rugby operations. All those responsibilities should now sit with Jan McGinity who has the experience, connections and respect from those in the game to hopefully oversee the rebuilding of the on field set-up.

There are very good young English coaches about:

Borthwick is a fantastic forwards coach looking to move up the ladder.

Joe Worsley has an excellent reputation as a defence coach.

Ben Herring has a brilliant CV if we want to hire a coach to get more out of forwards at the breakdown.

Sam Vesty has built one of the best attacks in the Premiership at Saints. All transfer talk is usually about luring big name players but if we are looking to invest someone to make a difference to on field performance then Vesty would be worth a big wage!

Given the abysmal management from the top in recent years it will be difficult to rebuild our coaching without an overhaul at the top.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

The Chairman and his board have ruined our once great club.

They are all sitting firmly on their hands in the hope that they can get out of jail with a quick sale of the club.

The problem is that we are now past the date by which Mr Cohen informed the supporters forum that the sale would be concluded by ( November)

This means the Chairman must either make a massive fiscal injection to save the club or sell cheaply.

The silence remains deafening and it is now a fully fledged crisis.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I for one doubt there is going to be much of an announcement regarding the crisis, why? Because we have been in crisis for so long pretty certain the Board don’t know what a crisis is.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

From my understanding the rugby committee consists of:

Peter Tom
Simon Cohen
Ged Glynn
Geordan Murphy
Ben Kay
Rory Underwood

I'm not sure whether Jan McGinity is now on that but if he isn't I see little means for him to change things given how Tigers run. McGinity needs to be one of the loudest voices on the committee to bring outside ideas from his experience.

Cohen should be nowhere near it.

If Borthwick arrives as head coach then he has to be on there to make real change.

If Geordan stays as DOR taking charge of the pathway from academy, through development, to the senior side then he needs to remain on the committee to have any chance of performing that role. If Geordan is in charge of that side of things then I don't see why Glynn would remain on the committee.

Kay and Underwood are Tigers legends but there is no evidence to suggest they have used their roles as Non-Executive Directors and committee members to prevent the slide.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

A number of people have agreed we actually have a good squad of players, from whom the coaches seem unable to entice the sort of performance they are capable of producing. Given that foundation, I think any decent, ambitious coach would jump at the chance to get the results the players can deliver and with it a huge amount of kudos. I don't think the Board have anyone lined up to come in, Borthwick included, and therein lies the problem; if they did there would have been some communication affirming or otherwise, or at the least a credible and meaningful holding position. Given where the club is at the moment the communication and engagement activity should be much sharper than it is. As someone elsewhere has said, the current Board performance has Harvard/Henley Case Study written all over it.
As Good As It Gets
tigerssteve

Post by tigerssteve »

Scuttle wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:19 pm A number of people have agreed we actually have a good squad of players, from whom the coaches seem unable to entice the sort of performance they are capable of producing. Given that foundation, I think any decent, ambitious coach would jump at the chance to get the results the players can deliver and with it a huge amount of kudos. I don't think the Board have anyone lined up to come in, Borthwick included, and therein lies the problem; if they did there would have been some communication affirming or otherwise, or at the least a credible and meaningful holding position. Given where the club is at the moment the communication and engagement activity should be much sharper than it is. As someone elsewhere has said, the current Board performance has Harvard/Henley Case Study written all over it.
The facts are that we could field a complete 15 of international players, given that some tinkering with positions has to be done. A strong minded ambitious coach should leap at that chance, with one proviso. He needs 100% control over everything player related. That's where the dambusters dog starts nibbling the woodpile. It's not going to happen. Not unless the coach in question is so high profile he cannot be argued with. When I win the euromillions, I will buy the club, lock stock and barrel and replace the board with forum posters I agree with. I will coach the team myself, naturally, it's my money. My motivational techniques will involve a decent size carrot and a stick the size of the Blackpool tower. Let's see if commitment improved with that approach. My coaching qualification is roughly the same as smurf, I coached my primary school touch rugby team to seventh place in the North West Leicestershire conference in 2013, then retired to soak up the glory. I feel ready to get back on the horse again. Signing off to register for lotto website. Keep the faith, I'm coming!!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

tigerssteve wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:48 pm The facts are that we could field a complete 15 of international players, given that some tinkering with positions has to be done. A strong minded ambitious coach should leap at that chance, with one proviso. He needs 100% control over everything player related. That's where the dambusters dog starts nibbling the woodpile. It's not going to happen. Not unless the coach in question is so high profile he cannot be argued with. When I win the euromillions, I will buy the club, lock stock and barrel and replace the board with forum posters I agree with. I will coach the team myself, naturally, it's my money. My motivational techniques will involve a decent size carrot and a stick the size of the Blackpool tower. Let's see if commitment improved with that approach. My coaching qualification is roughly the same as smurf, I coached my primary school touch rugby team to seventh place in the North West Leicestershire conference in 2013, then retired to soak up the glory. I feel ready to get back on the horse again. Signing off to register for lotto website. Keep the faith, I'm coming!!
:smt005 :smt005 :smt005
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Kay and Underwood are Non Execs. They are not making the big decisions.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

tigerssteve wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:48 pm
Scuttle wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:19 pm A number of people have agreed we actually have a good squad of players, from whom the coaches seem unable to entice the sort of performance they are capable of producing. Given that foundation, I think any decent, ambitious coach would jump at the chance to get the results the players can deliver and with it a huge amount of kudos. I don't think the Board have anyone lined up to come in, Borthwick included, and therein lies the problem; if they did there would have been some communication affirming or otherwise, or at the least a credible and meaningful holding position. Given where the club is at the moment the communication and engagement activity should be much sharper than it is. As someone elsewhere has said, the current Board performance has Harvard/Henley Case Study written all over it.
The facts are that we could field a complete 15 of international players, given that some tinkering with positions has to be done. A strong minded ambitious coach should leap at that chance, with one proviso. He needs 100% control over everything player related. That's where the dambusters dog starts nibbling the woodpile. It's not going to happen. Not unless the coach in question is so high profile he cannot be argued with. When I win the euromillions, I will buy the club, lock stock and barrel and replace the board with forum posters I agree with. I will coach the team myself, naturally, it's my money. My motivational techniques will involve a decent size carrot and a stick the size of the Blackpool tower. Let's see if commitment improved with that approach. My coaching qualification is roughly the same as smurf, I coached my primary school touch rugby team to seventh place in the North West Leicestershire conference in 2013, then retired to soak up the glory. I feel ready to get back on the horse again. Signing off to register for lotto website. Keep the faith, I'm coming!!
Dear Steve, please consider my application to be part of your team - for only a fraction of the salary of the present incumbents. I have zero coaching qualifications but promise to get them to stop aimlessly kicking the ball away.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I'm not sure that money is the issue.

The coaches are not able to coach. Either this is lack of ability (almost certain) or influence from others be that the board or senior payers who are perhaps stuck in the era looking to their captain and thinking they know better than the coaches. Whilst there has been nothing in the last 12 months to suggest the coaching staff know what they are doing there is absolutely no evidence of the senior players having a Scooby Doo.

At this level there should be little for the captain to do other than stop his players getting lippy towards the ref and deciding what calls are made for preset moves at the set piece. They should know from the coaches where they should be defending. Let's be honest there wasn't much by way of game changing advice coming from our skipper.

Who on earth put Harry Wells at 6 when we had Coughlan available. Put an adequate lock at flank and you get their (Saints) first try from the scrum. It's not his fault but Maro Itoje he isn't.

If Borthwick isn't coming until March we are relying on someone else playing worse on a consistent basis or hoping he can the rugby equivalent of Mike Brearley.