Saints away - Saturday 30th November

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Saints away - Saturday 30th November

Post by Mark62 »

DingDong wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:10 am The squad is more than good enough, unfortunately you can see the disunity in their game which then destroys their confidence as they just don't buy into the game plan they've been coached with. Blaming any individual payer for an entire teams lack of synergy is simply ridiculous.
100% agree with you, but there is still a case of players basic skill levels dropping below the required level
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

I'm not sure any game plan would survive a lineout percentage of 66% (Saints conceded a lot of penalties) and territory of <40%. Give away that much possession to a counter-attacking team and you will be well beaten. Add in the inaccurate kicking from the half-backs and it becomes a nightmare. The coaches brought on Kerr early in the second half to try to stem the tide.

The really depressing point in the game was the yellow card period - a period of pressure got a foothold, but they just could not capitalise on it at all. Saints 14 man routine was very solid.

I can't believe the side are training as they played on Saturday - I assume the game on the training pitch isn't making it on to the match day pitch. I hope someone in the coaching team has some idea why that might be.

On the positive side we now have two Euro games to regroup and resolve some of the issues. I suspect you have to play the first choice side for at least one of those. The Quins game on the 28th really does look like a big game for Tigers. Can't see us getting anything out of the Exeter game.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:18 am
DingDong wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:10 am The squad is more than good enough, unfortunately you can see the disunity in their game which then destroys their confidence as they just don't buy into the game plan they've been coached with. Blaming any individual payer for an entire teams lack of synergy is simply ridiculous.
100% agree with you, but there is still a case of players basic skill levels dropping below the required level

As I have said before on other threads, Mauger said there was a lack of basic ball skills and that they (the players) needed to hone their passing and catching skills. Given the ability of other Prem teams to master these basic functions of the game and move on to creating a good game structure the Tiger IMO have much to learn, top Ints included. Prime example Sarries/Bath, Friday. Sarries run through the middle, Bath "honey-pot' the player with the ball, Sarries keep their structure - bingo try!! Not difficult eh?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I think there is some disagreement between players, I saw May having words with Ford after he miskicked, albeit whist playing an advantage, May wanted a pass, 1 on 1 in the corner, but Ford miss kicked his grubber!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

John the Griff usually posts something on the match, John what were your impressions?
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Was it as bad as the score suggested?
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

Murphy is quoted on the BBC as saying:

"The manner of the defeat is sickening as this is a very special one this game, which means a lot to myself and a lot of the players."

Excuse me for asking, but why not all the players?
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

No difference, it’s just a mannerism.

I would argue it was none of the players mind you...
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Chobbsy wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:27 pm Was it as bad as the score suggested?
Tigers were poor but credit where due Saints were excellent.

Boyd and Vesty have their attack working brilliantly. They have excellent depth in the centre which allows them to attack the wide channels very well and Furbank at fullback is thriving off it looking every bit the future England player.

Their forwards are playing key roles in attack as well, running good support lines. Ratuniyarawa is an excellent example of a club getting a lot out of a player that won't demand a high salary.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

ABClub wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:26 pm
Tigers were poor but credit where due Saints were excellent.

Boyd and Vesty have their attack working brilliantly. They have excellent depth in the centre which allows them to attack the wide channels very well and Furbank at fullback is thriving off it looking every bit the future England player.

Their forwards are playing key roles in attack as well, running good support lines. Ratuniyarawa is an excellent example of a club getting a lot out of a player that won't demand a high salary.
Absolutely right, but we made it so much easier for them, remember they scored 3 tries from our terrible line outs, 1 of which Kerr threw in when we had not even formed let alone ready. We constantly kicked the ball away, nearly always to their 11 who just lapped it up. The fiasco passes from May to no one on our 5mtr line and the 1 from White back into our dead ball line to no one, were just horrendous and even 11 yr olds would have done better. 2nd Half was dreadful, 1st half was bad but for first 30 mins we stood a chance.
Redstripeman

Post by Redstripeman »

Phil B wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:32 pm Murphy is quoted on the BBC as saying:

"The manner of the defeat is sickening as this is a very special one this game, which means a lot to myself and a lot of the players."

Excuse me for asking, but why not all the players?
... I would suggest that "lot of the players" would be referring to the current first teamers who came through the academy!!!
Jacko27

Re: Saintsi away - Saturday 30th November

Post by Jacko27 »

I see that the Northants' Bell End sign has been nicked again.(Just trying to cheer people up!)
Smudger67S
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Smudger67S »

No, I was watching on a flaky streaming website and when it froze with Saints in possession I knew when streaming resumed it would be bad news for Tigers and the updated scoreboard would reflect that.
If at first you don't succeed .............. then skydiving isnt for you!!!!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Just to add a couple of positives to my/others negative reports, the 2 breaks by Taute and Lavanini were very good and if we had pace and support in the side we should have scored from both.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

The top sides are playing a brand of rugby that has hard runners but look to off load and keep the ball alive. We don’t do that - I remember a Genge off load but that was it. Tie in defenders and then exploit the space out wide. Why can’t we do that ? Either the coaches are telling them to use one out runners or the players are doing that themselves. We’re getting front foot ball....our scrum is ok.