Murphy coaches and relegation

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Re: Murphy coaches and relegation

Post by Robespierre »

Just seen the Premiership table and another damning statistic is that Tigers have only scored 66 points, 19 less than the next, Bath. Sad, innit!
Semper in excretia
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Maybe Brendan Rogers would fancy a dual coaching role, he seems to know how to get the best out of a group of players
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Smudger67S wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:37 am Two years ago Saints sack Jim Mallinder and this very forum some (arrogantly it could be said), were cherry picking which Saints stars they would like at Welford Road.
Saints already had Sam Vesty and then got the signature of Chris Boyd.
A few month later the Tigers board we’re looking for a world class coach, and unfairly to club and player chose ex world class full back, Geordan Murphy.
Two years later Saints are playing the most attractive rugby in Europe, a large part down to Vesty.
The Tigers board and decision making is dragging Tigers into The Championship.
There's the irony. Tigers insist on appointing ex players as coaches but currently the best ex player coach is Vesty, who's coaching our biggest rivals, Saints. You just couldn't make this up.

As for Murphs - he needs to be shown the door today. In my opinion it's the only chance of avoiding relegation and restoring some pride in the shirt.

Appoint a caretaker manager and start a proper search now, not like the last one that scoured the world and ended up with MoC. RWC is over so there may be some new hats in the ring now.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

LE18 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:00 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:40 pm
sapajo wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:36 pm

He is part of the problem not the solution. Just another Ex Tiger with a job for life.
my point was he is one of the "rugby people" on the board, though to be fair for all we know he advised against appointing MOC and Geordan and was ignored
I can assure you that Ben Kay was 1 of the 2 responsible for recommending MOC.
MOC approached Tigers with a game plan of how he intended to coach the club and asked for a chance. We don't know who voted for him to come in and who was against the idea because as far as I'm aware no one has access to the minutes of the rugby committee and Ben Kay hasn't previously indicated anymore than that. He didn't seem pleased with the MOC appointment but he generally has a good poker face and isn't stupid.
Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:11 pm
Mark62 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:02 pm Very very quiet from club and players today.
Certain amount of wound licking and trying to get some dignity back, but it does make you wonder if moves are afoot
It is a Sunday.
It's Sunday and the day after getting battered by our biggest rivals. If I was one of the players I'd be turning my phone off and spending a day with the family before the training recommences on Monday. They'll have had a sleepless night last night so for the own sanity will need to think about something else.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Whatever Trevor, I still say the silence is deafening in my opinion, if others disagree that is more than their right.

The feeling that people switch their phones off these days is very funny though
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:03 pm Whatever Trevor, I still say the silence is deafening in my opinion, if others disagree that is more than their right.

The feeling that people switch their phones off these days is very funny though
Maybe you should try it then. If I'm going out for a day with the family I turn mine off and concentrate on them. Sometimes it's nice not to be connected to everyone and everything for a few hours.
JGT57

Post by JGT57 »

Just idling time away after a depressing weekend and no news to get excited about, caught up with ‘Rugby Tonight - On Tour, episode 5,

When asked what Leicester’s target was for the season, TPN REPLIED ‘to win the Premiership’

Oh, the beauty of irony! 😂😂😂😂
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

The club were stupid not even to put in an offer for Vesty, and an ex-Tiger as well!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Ben Kay was pro-MOC I swear.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

JP14 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:25 am Ben Kay was pro-MOC I swear.
And your concrete verifiable evidence for this is what?
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I suspect pretty much all the BOD and Rugby committee was either for MOC or kept quiet which is just as bad
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:55 am
JP14 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:25 am Ben Kay was pro-MOC I swear.
And your concrete verifiable evidence for this is what?
I’ve seen him say it was a good decision on BT a few times even after he was sacked. Whether he actually thought it or was just toeing the party line is impossible to tell.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Those that feel Murphy should be given more time should weigh up one key question - How long long does he need to show improvement? other clubs have recently appointed new Head Coaches/DoR's who've steadied their ships and in some cases vastly improved eg: Boyd/Saints 'Aug'18, Duncan/Worcester Aug'18, Gustard/Quins Aug '18 and Hooper May '19.

Murphy was interim Sept'18 and officially appointed Dec '18 and there has been no improvement in performance, one victory in the Premiership this season against a side who were themselves so poor, and two victories in the Challenge Cup against weak sides are no benchmark. The Premiership Rugby Cup games are warm-ups and often experimental so they count for little.

At the beginning of last season 'Not fit for purpose' was the prediction, the performances prove it, so if the board were happy to appoint an interim coach then there's no reason why they can't do it again asap, this time pick a coach fit for purpose. Murphy sadly is not worth investing any more time and resources for as a coach, but I will always respect him as one of the greatest players we've ever had at Tigers.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

I would have thought, given the large scale disappointment in the fan base, that the club would issue some kind of statement.

"We've identified and appointed a new coach, however they will not be able to start until April."

"We are in the process of reviewing the coaching set up"

"We know performances have been poor but feel that stability is the right course."

For there to be nothing from those running the club suggests to me either they don't see the current situation as an issue, or they don't care what the fans think at the moment.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

TTRITH wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:36 am I would have thought, given the large scale disappointment in the fan base, that the club would issue some kind of statement.

"We've identified and appointed a new coach, however they will not be able to start until April."

"We are in the process of reviewing the coaching set up"

"We know performances have been poor but feel that stability is the right course."

For there to be nothing from those running the club suggests to me either they don't see the current situation as an issue, or they don't care what the fans think at the moment.
A little bit of both I think. It feels as though they are arrogant enough to think that they are the club and no one else matters.

They'll just muddle along from one disaster to the next, oblivious to the fact that they are failing their club.

Even if they do appoint Borthwick, is there any chance that he'll be able to do things his way or have any power over the players? I doubt it. The result will just be zero change, with Borthwick either giving in to others and being sacked for poor performances or walking out in frustration at not being given the tools to do his job.