LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2

Post by JP14 »

Isn’t Radrada taking Madigan’s marquee spot?

I too would move heaven and earth to re-sign George, I don’t see why he wants to leave.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Of the players mentioned, I'd be keen on keeping 2 - Ford and Genge.

I say this based on their ability and on their attitude/commitment. There are other very good players who don't match up in both of those criteria. Imho.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

JP14 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:02 pm Isn’t Radrada taking Madigan’s marquee spot?

I too would move heaven and earth to re-sign George, I don’t see why he wants to leave.
I mean, we're pretty rubbish at the mo and he's had a few things to say about how the club conducts itself internally. I want him to stay too but he's not from the Midlands and has ambitions above where we currently sit, hard to blame him if he decided to act on them.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:33 pm
SthrnTiger wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:13 pm
RagingBull wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:46 pm

On Ford he would be a big loss but not irreplaceable, he'll be wanting most likely around 500,000 this season and that could buy you any 10 in the world pretty much.
Not convinced that’s true - who are better/similar 10s that we could realistically get for that sort of money? (Honest question)
Pollard could be a target, now SA are not going to be afraid of picking outside South Africa.
Another question could be would a very good non International 10 be better than having an actual International 10 who will miss x number of games?
Especially since our back up options are either out of their main position or youngsters.
For example a
Hayden Parker type.
or try and be sneaky and sign Malins, Lozowski etc
Hasn't Pollard signed a 3 year deal at Montpellier?

Aaron Cruden is leaving Montpellier to head home, could try and get him to change his mind but he is now 30 and 31 in January so four or five years older than George. So not a long term solution but potentially a good short term one.

Damian Willemse is at Sarries as injury cover for Mallins and Goode. He's a young 10/15 with a lot of potential but at 21 or 22 by the time he arrives we won't be getting the polished George Ford style performances that saved us last season. Similar issue with Mallins.

Lozowski is a very good utility player but seems to be less and less a flyhalf with every season that passes. More of a playmaking centre these days and seems to be Sarries preferred 13.

Another option could be to go down to NZ and try to get someone like Mitchell Hunt or Otere Black. Rising stars who have had to play second fiddle to All Blacks. Still got years ahead of them.

Not sure there's anything in the Celtic league we could get our hands on. Ford is still the best bet for us given his attachment to the club, age, ability and leadership skills.
RagingBull wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:51 pm Also was wondering if McGinty had a look at the NRL whilst he was down under considering that he was over there during the Finals Series.

Suliasi Vunivalu has talked of doing a code switch before.
If May decides to head to warmer shores then Vunivalu would be a risk worth taking. 73 tries in 95 club games in league and played union up to the age of 16. Rumours are the Wallabies want him though.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Agree that Ford and Genge priority, would try to keep May if poss but wouldn’t try too hard to keep Lenny unless unless he took a pay cut as he is not irreplaceable and in my opinion there are at least 4 or 5 scrummies better than him :smt003
A2O
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

ay2oh wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:26 pm Agree that Ford and Genge priority, would try to keep May if poss but wouldn’t try too hard to keep Lenny unless unless he took a pay cut as he is not irreplaceable and in my opinion there are at least 4 or 5 scrummies better than him :smt003
There's an argument to be had that recently there have been 3 better at Tigers. The fact that he is still Englands best is rather worrying.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Agreed ,I'd be looking to replace BY too!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:00 pm
ay2oh wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:26 pm Agree that Ford and Genge priority, would try to keep May if poss but wouldn’t try too hard to keep Lenny unless unless he took a pay cut as he is not irreplaceable and in my opinion there are at least 4 or 5 scrummies better than him :smt003
There's an argument to be had that recently there have been 3 better at Tigers. The fact that he is still Englands best is rather worrying.
Clubs (Tigers in particular) can now do away with the idea that all that is wrong is not delivering ruck ball on a platter co-investment style, and try to get back to playing FAIRly quick and aggressive rugby.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

I can't see May going to France. He will be eyeing up a Lions tour next summer and he gets £25k an appearance with England. As one of Eddie Jones favourites he's unlikely to fall out of favour fast either.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Ford has carried us for the last eighteen months, agree that he’d be priority out of those mentioned.

Part of me however is open to a complete clearing of the decks. The major issue over the last few years has been the quality left behind in the wake of Eng duty. Imagine the cap available if GF, EG, JM and BY were to move on.

Biggest issue would be - given our recent track record with recruitment - would we trust the board to invest it in the right areas / not repeat past mistakes...
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

TigerMac3 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:34 pm Ford has carried us for the last eighteen months, agree that he’d be priority out of those mentioned.

Part of me however is open to a complete clearing of the decks. The major issue over the last few years has been the quality left behind in the wake of Eng duty. Imagine the cap available if GF, EG, JM and BY were to move on.

Biggest issue would be - given our recent track record with recruitment - would we trust the board to invest it in the right areas / not repeat past mistakes...
Presumably that's what McGinity has been brought in to do. He was in charge of player recruitment at Worcester and the SRU.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Out of interest, any of the current players a McGinity signing - or did he arrive after Lavanini etc?

Be interested to see where his focus is, i.e the unknown Pacific Islander type profile or domestic youth
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TigerMac3 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:03 pm Out of interest, any of the current players a McGinity signing - or did he arrive after Lavanini etc?

Be interested to see where his focus is, i.e the unknown Pacific Islander type profile or domestic youth
He arrived much later.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:04 pm Agreed ,I'd be looking to replace BY too!
BY is Lenny. :smt017
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:04 pm Agreed ,I'd be looking to replace BY too!
After all that you've said about him before, you do surprise me :smt002 :smt003