LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I’d go as far to say that the only priority is Ford, he’ll be irreplaceable and is integral to Tigers at the moment.

May and Youngs I wouldn’t break the bank for, both are good players but wouldn’t be the end of the world. If May did leave would want a more physical winger Pacific Islander style.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

For me priority would be Ford, Genge, May, Young’s.

The first 2 are no brainers
May is interesting at 30 and with speed such a big part of his game, his hamstrings etc will become more vulnerable. For me I can see him going to the warmer climate of the south of France to finish his career.
Lenny again, the family are a one club family, there is a successful farming in Norfolk, and I really can’t see him taking his young family abroad.
If there were a swop deal with another premiership club then I could see a move, he’s also the sort of player that may interest London Irish, or Newcastle if they came back up.
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:06 pm I’d go as far to say that the only priority is Ford, he’ll be irreplaceable and is integral to Tigers at the moment.

May and Youngs I wouldn’t break the bank for, both are good players but wouldn’t be the end of the world. If May did leave would want a more physical winger Pacific Islander style.
100% agree to this. If tigers want to win anything in the next few years need to keep Ford. Others are replaceable, strange as it sounds I think Young’s and May are better international then premiership players.

Recruiting Mike Ford may turn into a smart move, not because of his coaching skills but because might help persuade George to stay. Can see why a move to Bristol would be very tempting to him.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:18 am Keep Ford and May, Young’s is not a priority in my view and should be replaced with someone like Papier or Jantijies.
Papier hasn't really impressed from what I've seen of him for Sale. Jjanties is a good young scrum half but I'd rather keep Benny as he's got more experience and is better tactically. We just need his England form at Tigers. Plus Jjanties will miss good chunks of the season with SA.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Brad Webber was having some banter with Thompson on Instagram over thompson saying he would get him a contract up here.
:smt002

Pure banter though so wouldn't read anything into it.
that being said he would be a perfect replacement.

On Ford he would be a big loss but not irreplaceable, he'll be wanting most likely around 500,000 this season and that could buy you any 10 in the world pretty much.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Also was wondering if McGinty had a look at the NRL whilst he was down under considering that he was over there during the Finals Series.

Suliasi Vunivalu has talked of doing a code switch before.
Last edited by RagingBull on Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Brad Webber would be a great signing.
As for Ford, l believe he’s getting married soon and his Mrs. is from Bath with a local family business.
It could that a move back to the West could suit him, but Bristol have now ruled themselves out as he would demand Marquee money, Bath have Priestland and Burns, Exeter seem keen to develop Simmonds, Gloucester I suppose could be a possibility as I can’t see the messiah hanging around
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

If he was going to Bristol he could never have been a marquee signing.

that being said if Madigan goes that would free up a lot of cap for them.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:56 pm If he was going to Bristol he could never have been a marquee signing.

that being said if Madigan goes that would free up a lot of cap for them.
Thanks I get confused with the regulations, good point re Madigan, who isn’t even starting at the moment.
Having said that I hope Tigers move heaven and earth to keep him
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:46 pm

On Ford he would be a big loss but not irreplaceable, he'll be wanting most likely around 500,000 this season and that could buy you any 10 in the world pretty much.
Not convinced that’s true - who are better/similar 10s that we could realistically get for that sort of money? (Honest question)
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

not sure Mike Ford will be here after this season - seen him named as head coach of Dallas Griffins in MLR which is now due to start next year
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

SthrnTiger wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:13 pm

Not convinced that’s true - who are better/similar 10s that we could realistically get for that sort of money? (Honest question)
Pollard could be a target, now SA are not going to be afraid of picking outside South Africa.
Another question could be would a very good non International 10 be better than having an actual International 10 who will miss x number of games?
Especially since our back up options are either out of their main position or youngsters.
For example a
Hayden Parker type.
or try and be sneaky and sign Malins, Lozowski etc
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Losing Youngs would be a mistake IMO.

Get a decent coach that actually gives us some dynamic forward play and you'll see a different player. His game is built of runners actually draw defenders so he can go through the gaps himself, something we haven't seen at Tigers for a few seasons...
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Aim high & sign the Barrett brothers.

Genge is the most important to sign, YBY would depend on his performances in the next few weeks, & how long he might be interested in England & vice versa, he might be looking at the Lions in which case he needs to up his game.

Think there is some still some deadwood we can trim, I will happily take short term pain for long term gain.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:33 pm
SthrnTiger wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:13 pm

Pollard could be a target, now SA are not going to be afraid of picking outside South Africa.
Another question could be would a very good non International 10 be better than having an actual International 10 who will miss x number of games?
Especially since our back up options are either out of their main position or youngsters.
For example a
Hayden Parker type.
or try and be sneaky and sign Malins, Lozowski etc
Fair, Pollard would be like for like but that’s a long shot given if he wanted to leave SA could get silly money in France.

I think if we do lose Ford should throw everything at Malins. As prospect of being No1 could tempt him away from Sarries. But he is a few years behind Ford.