European Challenge Cup - Cardiff vs Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: European Challenge Cup - Cardiff vs Tigers

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:13 pm Good win but the quality was poor. Two bottom feeders in their respective divisions,luckily one can't go down though!
What a lovely expression to label your club and team. To be utterly pedantic we don’t appear to be bottom of either of our leagues. One more due to another team cheating but calling us “bottom feeders” seems unfair, wrong and pretty harsh. It’s a forum so crack on with your negativity.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:40 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:13 pm Good win but the quality was poor. Two bottom feeders in their respective divisions,luckily one can't go down though!
What a lovely expression to label your club and team. To be utterly pedantic we don’t appear to be bottom of either of our leagues. One more due to another team cheating but calling us “bottom feeders” seems unfair, wrong and pretty harsh. It’s a forum so crack on with your negativity.
35 points won't save us! We are sleepwalking towards relegation and have been on a shocking self inflicted slide for a few seasons now. I'm entitled to my opinion and I prefer being called a realist
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Blimey, Happy Clappers, have a bit of common sense !!!!!!

We have a squad, that if it was coached by virtually any of the other Premiership DOR's, would certainly not be bottom, for two years now.
A ''win'' against Cardiff does not constitute a season saving probability, just a mere two wins together
Lose next week, and we will be back to square one.

The only saving grace yesterday was that our lads sniped and battled for 83 minutes, and that is a sea change from 30+ of Murphys offerings. Get real, if we are in the Top 6 by the 3rd Quarter, and safe from relegation, then you can restart the happy clapping...
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Not interested in perceived quality , just take the win;
we hung in there , did not fold , kept our nerve and got the result.
Winning is a habit .
I really hope we are starting to learn how to win.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Grumpy of Crumbie

Post by Grumpy of Crumbie »

Wow, now even a win isn't good enough for a lot of people on here it now has to be a 'pretty' win against the worlds best team before any credit is given.

I went to Cardiff and yes it wasn't the best game but I enjoyed the atmosphere, the spirit and the bragging rights with a couple of mates afterwards. I'd also like to mention our much maligned coaching team who I thought got the tactics spot on. It's not great to watch and it wasn't always executed to perfection but using the kicking game to make Cardiff play from their won half won us the game along with a good amount of discipline.

I'd like everyone to listen to the interview with Ellis Genge after the game. It's obvious that he and I assume many others in the squad follow social media which I assume includes the negativity on this forum. He makes the point about the squad being a close knit group who are putting in 100% to make things better.

I'm not sure constant criticism of young players who are taking the first steps into first team rugby is going to help their confidence as they try to develop into better players and become key assets for the club in the future.

It's a forum and everyone is entitled to an opinion, but an awareness of the audience and the role we all have in making the club great again surely has to be a consideration when we post a comment.
If you don't go in hard it's not a tackle it's an insult.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

The first-teamers have to back it up next week mind you.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

We won. Our tactics and attitude were right. Thats a major improvment for me. No we wont win every game we are still a work in progress but it looked more like a Tigers team than we did for most of last year.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:25 pm
35 points won't save us! We are sleepwalking towards relegation and have been on a shocking self inflicted slide for a few seasons now. I'm entitled to my opinion and I prefer being called a realist
Ah, the old doom mongers cry of "I'm a realist". Haven't seen that for a long time. A realist sees both sides, good and bad.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

IF we had 23 Ellis Genges and Guy Thompsons...........
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

fortysix wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:33 pm Blimey, Happy Clappers, have a bit of common sense !!!!!!

We have a squad, that if it was coached by virtually any of the other Premiership DOR's, would certainly not be bottom, for two years now.
A ''win'' against Cardiff does not constitute a season saving probability, just a mere two wins together
Lose next week, and we will be back to square one.

The only saving grace yesterday was that our lads sniped and battled for 83 minutes, and that is a sea change from 30+ of Murphys offerings. Get real, if we are in the Top 6 by the 3rd Quarter, and safe from relegation, then you can restart the happy clapping...
Love it. Some people celebrate a win, while acknowledging a pretty dire game (a lot of thud and blunder) and out comes the Happy Clappers "insult". There again, to be expected from a doom monger unless we are double champions again :smt002
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

fortysix wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:15 pm IF we had 23 Ellis Genges and Guy Thompsons...........
We don't.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Just back from Cardiff and yes, it wasn't the best game of rugby I have ever seen but no-one there could doubt our commitment or the effort put in. We have a very good chance now of a home quarter final which would give us a very good chance of further progress with the prize of participation in the top competition next year a real possibility. I know I am getting ahead of myself but we have some very good youngsters which we really need to try to keep and please stop playing Hardwick in the centre and Mills as a stand off.
Hehehehehehehehe
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:25 pm
And I respect your opinion as we are both Tigers fans, however I find the term bottom feeder when addressing your own club rude and a little disrespectful. You are correct that you are a realist, but I will take joy in the fact we won, won ugly but won. We need some momentum and this helps our season and squad. But that is just my happy clapper thought and opinion. Rubbish game, great win. Take that until June all the way.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

I have to hold my hands up and say that I did not expect to come away with a win last night. It was a very mixed team and as yet we have not seen a full Tigers team selected. The team played well and showed great commitment throughout the game. The backs are lacking and this is down to White and Hardwick still gaining valuable experience in playing what is in front of you and managing the game plan.
It was not the most exciting game but was a good performance to come away with 4 points away from home. This time last season, the opposing teams were just walking through the defence for easy scores. This season has seen a clear out of players, new players brought in and the defence has certainly improved.
The forwards have shown good stats at scrums and lineouts and the backs are where the weakness is in depth. Bring the England players back in made a big difference last week.
Four games into the season and we are already talking about relegation, even with Saracens on -22. Too early, in my opinion, to say we are in a relegation battle. Wasps are not playing well and their fans are concerned about their fate.
Lets celebrate a win and give the lads the praise that they deserve for last nights performance.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by JWM »

I am neither a happy clapper nor a doommonger. Such polarisation and ding donging doesn’t really help anyone, certainly not the players.

I was aware before the season started that it was likely to be a difficult one. It is. I hope a last gasp win away will give our predominantly young and new-to-the-Club players an injection of self confidence.

Watching the whole game on BT catch up, there was [still] a lot to wince about, but there were also some good individual moments. As my example, I will single out 18yo Sam Costelow’s excellent Try-saving tackle about 5 secs after coming on.

Any club is only as good as the next game. Let’s not lose it in our minds before the KO whistle is even blown.
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(