Tigers v Pau Saturday Nov 16th

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerssteve

Re: Tigers v Pau Saturday Nov 16th

Post by tigerssteve »

drc_007 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:48 am
tigerssteve wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:41 am
sapajo wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:44 pm Its a pointless competition in my opinion any talk of winning it is for the birds. We should field the development team for Europe and save our first XV for the Saints match.
Completely agree. If we field first team and get injuries it could seriously affect survival. Bad injury to Ford or Manu could stuff us.
I'd agree except the team currently looks like they first met in the car park before the match at times. They need time playing together under match pressure.
I know it's a difficult one. Let's be careful playing on the plastic rug at Cardiff.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I know a few seasons ago despise it being an important match the Scarlets didn't play anyone at Cardiff with knee issues.
It really is time they are banned.
I would of thought next week will be a mixed team, we need to ensure some of the fringe players get good game time.

Back to yesterday who appeared to be on field captain?
To win is not as important as playing with style!
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:07 am I know a few seasons ago despise it being an important match the Scarlets didn't play anyone at Cardiff with knee issues.
I would of thought next week will be a mixed team, we need to ensure some of the fringe players get good game time.

Tom Youngs then Tommy Reffel
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

MCC1964 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:33 pm
Ian Cant wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:57 pm Just got back from the game.
Tigers did what they had to do. Well done.
I would play the England players next week for 55 - 60 minutes to try to get back to back wins and improve on what wasn’t so good this week.
Go fully loaded and have a good crack at Saints. If we do well, bonus point minimum then rest some players in the next two European games.
Plus points today: Kalamafoni, Holmes, George Ford, Youngs and Manu very good.
Cole usual dependable performance.
Forwards still need to be quicker to support and must tighten defensive work.
Boladau again looked good but only played half a game.
Locks both played well.
Thought the ref had a pretty good game; looked to me that he got most things right; his touch judges not so good at pointing things out.
I’m not sure if we won the competition if we’d qualify for the main competition as we’ve never to think about that before!
Well done to those who came to try to make some noise today.
We are in it together!
Bear in mind that I have heard somewhere recently that with mandatory rests and international commitments that we will have our England players for no more than 7 games this season. So do we want that to in the cup games or do we want to make sure we have them at the sharp end of the season where they might be most needed?
From the Mark McCall interview the international’s can’t play in any more than 30 games in a season which includes pre World Cup warm up games and obviously the World Cup itself.
So if a player played in all warm ups plus all rounds at RWC that’s 10 games gone already.
Unsure if this includes selection as replacement
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:14 am
I would play the England players next week for 55 - 60 minutes to try to get back to back wins and improve on what wasn’t so good this week.
Go fully loaded and have a good crack at Saints. If we do well, bonus point minimum then rest some players in the next two European games.
Locks both played well.
Thought the ref had a pretty good game; looked to me that he got most things right; his touch judges not so good at pointing things out.
I’m not sure if we won the competition if we’d qualify for the main competition as we’ve never to think about that before!
We are in it together!
Bear in mind that I have heard somewhere recently that with mandatory rests and international commitments that we will have our England players for no more than 7 games this season. So do we want that to in the cup games or do we want to make sure we have them at the sharp end of the season where they might be most needed?
From the Mark McCall interview the international’s can’t play in any more than 30 games in a season which includes pre World Cup warm up games and obviously the World Cup itself.
So if a player played in all warm ups plus all rounds at RWC that’s 10 games gone already.
Home games should be the priority. Get the fortress mentality back at Welford Road. Give the fans something to cheer about. Send the development squad to Cardiff next week for all I care. Obviously we need points in the Prem now and Saints is a game that has to be taken seriously home or away. Focus the first team on that fixture for the next few weeks and use the Cardiff game to get some of injury returnees up to speed and give some of the younger lads more exposure.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:07 am I know a few seasons ago despise it being an important match the Scarlets didn't play anyone at Cardiff with knee issues.

Pundit on BT sports commentary said as much.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

daktari wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:13 am

Tom Youngs then Tommy Reffel
Tommy Reffel was a surprise given how many other more experienced players who were on the pitch. That said, his decision to go for our last 3 points was bang on!
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Locks both played well.
We are in it together!
IIRC, just as a point of order, 20 minutes on the field constitutes a game played. We need to make the most of what we have
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
10mill
Tiger Cub

Post by 10mill »

Locks both played well.
We are in it together!
It’s all here:

https://therpa.co.uk/news/2018/10/in-se ... confirmed/

As with all things it’s never simple. Basically players must play no more than the equivalent of 30 games per season, I.e 2400 minutes. With a max of 35 game involvements (more than 20 mins per game).

By my back of fag packet calcs, the following are the current game involvements (pre Paul game):

Genge - 4
Cole - 8
Ford - 9
Young’s - 9
Tualagi - 6
May - 6

These include the pre World Cup games. So it appears they ought to be available for more games than I initially anticipated.

Oh and none of them will play in the quilter international’s (as per the website above).
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Re captaincy after Tom Youngs went off. Tommy Reffell has captaincy experience at age group level and I saw him captain a Tiger's team over in Loughborough last season and was impressed by his decision making and his direction of the players some of whom were older and more experienced. Possibly one to consider for the future after Tom Y decides to hand over the job.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

johnthegriff wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:52 am Re captaincy after Tom Youngs went off. Tommy Reffell has captaincy experience at age group level and I saw him captain a Tiger's team over in Loughborough last season and was impressed by his decision making and his direction of the players some of whom were older and more experienced. Possibly one to consider for the future after Tom Y decides to hand over the job.
Had Ford already been replaced by this time
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

10mill wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:43 am
It’s all here:

https://therpa.co.uk/news/2018/10/in-se ... confirmed/

As with all things it’s never simple. Basically players must play no more than the equivalent of 30 games per season, I.e 2400 minutes. With a max of 35 game involvements (more than 20 mins per game).

By my back of fag packet calcs, the following are the current game involvements (pre Paul game):

Genge - 4
Cole - 8
Ford - 9
Young’s - 9
Tualagi - 6
May - 6

These include the pre World Cup games. So it appears they ought to be available for more games than I initially anticipated.

Oh and none of them will play in the quilter international’s (as per the website above).
Thanks 10mill that’s great information.
Wonder how much we might loose them to the 6 nations as well.
Dan’s days at test level could be numbered and Eddie could decide to look at Spencer and Robson at 9 for instance
10mill
Tiger Cub

Post by 10mill »

[/quote]

Had Ford already been replaced by this time
[/quote]

Yes
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Regarding Northants away, recently we have struggled to win there so would this be a good game to rest all our England Internationals, to save them for more important matches, play all the new signings and see if we can get anything out of it?
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Tigers are in such a mess they cannot afford to fob off any competition, they simply need to get the winning habit back, at least 10 first choice players should start at Cardiff, back to back wins will be a HUGE confidence boost