Will anyone want to buy the club??

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Redstripeman

Re: Will anyone want to buy the club??

Post by Redstripeman »

kend wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:47 am
Redstripeman wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:37 am
JWM wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:04 am If KP bought the club, I think you’d find it wouldn’t be too long before a move to the Crisp Bowl is on the cards, and selling the WRd estate for redevelopment.
.. are you a board member?
This just comes across like the juvenile thoughts of our supposed leaders.
If it is just bantz then fair play!!
I would have thought the only way KP would buy the club is if they could consolidate both clubs to the KP, and presumably the training facilities as well. It is such an obvious move to a return on the investment.
... I really do not think you understand the philosophy of King Power!
If you take a look at the way they have handled the takeover of Lcfc and the success achieved then you will have some idea what they are about.
A game of rugby played on the football pitch would be a definite no.,, sharing the new training complex might work to take players out of their "bubble". They really have a respect for the past traditions and I would trust them more to be stewards of the tigers ethos and principles that the present lip service being paid at the moment.
You ask any LCFC supporter about what Khun Vichai and King Power has brought to the club and you will get the answer to your question!!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

JWM wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:04 am If KP bought the club, I think you’d find it wouldn’t be too long before a move to the Crisp Bowl is on the cards, and selling the WRd estate for redevelopment.

How much is the WR site worth?

I suspect it’s sale would go a long way to covering the cost of the purchase of the club.

The idea of a groundshare has surfaced every now and then since the building of the KP stadium. I don’t like the idea, but as a business solution it makes sense. Sooner or later the Crumbie will have to be replaced (I am surprised that it still gets a fire certificate), but would the financial investment be worthwhile? The myth of “Fortress Welford Road” is now just that, and can never be reestablished with the same certainty. “Why not a joint venture” must be on the lips of any potential purchaser if they want their new business to at least break even.

Who would buy? It’s unlikely to be a sugar daddy in the current risky, economically Brexit driven economy.
Valhalla I am coming!
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

Redstripeman wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:15 am
kend wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:47 am
Redstripeman wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:37 am

.. are you a board member?
This just comes across like the juvenile thoughts of our supposed leaders.
If it is just bantz then fair play!!
I would have thought the only way KP would buy the club is if they could consolidate both clubs to the KP, and presumably the training facilities as well. It is such an obvious move to a return on the investment.
... I really do not think you understand the philosophy of King Power!
If you take a look at the way they have handled the takeover of Lcfc and the success achieved then you will have some idea what they are about.
A game of rugby played on the football pitch would be a definite no.,, sharing the new training complex might work to take players out of their "bubble". They really have a respect for the past traditions and I would trust them more to be stewards of the tigers ethos and principles that the present lip service being paid at the moment.
You ask any LCFC supporter about what Khun Vichai and King Power has brought to the club and you will get the answer to your question!!
Perhaps, but you don't end up worth $5B by making poor business decisions. City were already in the Walker prior to KP taking over, so they didn't have to face those sort of issues. Given the way their main business is run I doubt they would shy away from a difficult but sensible decision. Whether they could overcome the issues around primacy of tenure is another matter (my guess is they could).

That said, I think Aiyawatt has seen off the threat to KP's monopoly at Bangkok airport, so his business is secure for the next decade. The money to sort Tigers out is effectively money down the back of his sofa......
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

There are 3 buyers who are being considered and going through the usual due diligence at the moment my sources tell me - all will have a positive effect on and off the pitch....

Watch this space but we remain a very good target acquisition...........
Less is more....
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Let’s hope your sources are true.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

What were Donald Duck's 3 nephews called?

Joking aside do we really still think the club is for sale (if it ever was).

I suspect that these days sponsors want to be owners/partners and this has been a difficult concept for Tigers to accept (as I am sure it is for many sports clubs.

The other thing is that with a salary cap in place there should be limited benefit to being owned if sufficient funds can be made via sponsorship.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

mol2 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:05 pm What were Donald Duck's 3 nephews called?

Joking aside do we really still think the club is for sale (if it ever was).

I suspect that these days sponsors want to be owners/partners and this has been a difficult concept for Tigers to accept (as I am sure it is for many sports clubs.

The other thing is that with a salary cap in place there should be limited benefit to being owned if sufficient funds can be made via sponsorship.
I'm sure there will be continued pressure to increase the salary cap to compete with other European clubs that don't have a cap.
Bristol Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bristol Tiger »

mol2 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:05 pm The other thing is that with a salary cap in place there should be limited benefit to being owned if sufficient funds can be made via sponsorship.
For me the biggest benefit is there will be a change of Board and almost certainly a change of CEO. Any acquirer will want to bring "their" people in - at least on the board. Cohen may stay for a while but I imagine any new owners would make a change there as well.

Also, investment can be made into the ground, facilities, coaching staff, etc. without worrying about the salary cap. Likewise, I think you can invest as much as you like in the Academy (pay of academy players / size of academy) and only need worry as and when those players start playing first-team rugby (so having their salary then counted).

While we could get sponsorship to cover these costs, an injection of cash for a few years on top of sponsorship would help (if spent wisely).
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Hewey, Dewey and Luey.(Possibly misspelt )
Not a firm of solicitors. Quackers not to consider them. :smt005