London Irish vs Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: London Irish vs Tigers

Post by wellstiger »

GM Quote - “We gave away too many penalties, and a bit of back-chat, that is unacceptable. Maybe it is frustration but I cannot defend that.”

Did Mr GM get sent to the stands towards the end of last season? Something to do with comments made to the ref? :smt018
Sorry if i got that wrong...
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Redstripeman wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:43 am ... we
Struggled to break the oppositions defensive line and constantly moved laterally or lost ground in doing so. We are so predictable and the need to change tactic was clear to see. There surely need to be a plan B, where we kick for field position and a line out deep in the oppositions half. Forcing them to play from deep and the likelihood of giving away penalties. Better teams than us employ this tactic, so why shouldn't we?
Partly it seemed to be speed, partly support. Everything was done at a ponderous pace, and often only one player in support of the ball carrier. Having said that, LI got a try from the kind of defence that Manu used to get castigated for - if Hardwick had got the ball away there was a huge defensive hole unfilled. they gambled and won. Our backs seemed slow and predictable too. IMO if Ford had been at 10, we would've won or close to it.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

wellstiger wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:30 pm GM Quote - “We gave away too many penalties, and a bit of back-chat, that is unacceptable. Maybe it is frustration but I cannot defend that.”

Did Mr GM get sent to the stands towards the end of last season? Something to do with comments made to the ref? :smt018
If Steve Borthwick is coming we need to know now to give us hope, if he is it also needs to be quick, as the WC is over and we haven't heard any more I am now doubting he will be coming....but we live in hope, we need something done one way or another, why wasn't at least Baby Rhino not on the team sheet for last Saturday, Exeter had all their England players back this week either starting or on the bench
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Chobbsy wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:23 pm
wellstiger wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:30 pm GM Quote - “We gave away too many penalties, and a bit of back-chat, that is unacceptable. Maybe it is frustration but I cannot defend that.”

If Steve Borthwick is coming we need to know now to give us hope, if he is it also needs to be quick, as the WC is over and we haven't heard any more I am now doubting he will be coming....but we live in hope, we need something done one way or another, why wasn't at least Baby Rhino not on the team sheet for last Saturday, Exeter had all their England players back this week either starting or on the bench
A lot of help it gave them might I add.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:26 pm

Also, how many minutes action did they get?

It's a marathon not a sprint, we need our boys for the season as a whole. Get them back, get them good and hopefully reap the rewards.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Exeter aren't in a relegation dogfight and they were up against a decent side. Yet they chose to bring back the players who had been away with England.

I wouldn't have played Cole, Youngs, Manu, Ford or May as they have played most of England' games but Genge surely should have got on the bench. Someone to provide a bit of direct action is a matter of urgency.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

JP14 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:55 am This is typified by the board going for the Cheap & Cheerful Fonua over a more willing, fitter Number 8 that would have made a difference.
I believe that Fonua was anything but cheap and cheerful. It was my understanding that he was one of the better paid squad members.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:19 pm
JP14 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:55 am This is typified by the board going for the Cheap & Cheerful Fonua over a more willing, fitter Number 8 that would have made a difference.
I believe that Fonua was anything but cheap and cheerful. It was my understanding that he was one of the better paid squad members.
That makes it worse!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:28 pm

It's a marathon not a sprint, we need our boys for the season as a whole. Get them back, get them good and hopefully reap the rewards.
They got a losing bonus point, we don't even know what a bonus point is, let alone have any
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Just watched the first half on the PM website, embarrassingly poor in virtually every aspect. Tafua looked a decent unit, solid and aggressive character compared to the rest of the meek looking forwards. Reid is just not doing it at 10, slow, poor decision making and appalling handling. We look Championship more than Premiership.

As for Doyle, well and truly past it. Penalty for lifting a leg in a maul!!! Not illegal unless the maul collapses, just so inconsistent with so many calls, and not managing offsides or the breakdown any where near efficiently enough for a Premiership ref.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Chobbsy wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:12 am

They got a losing bonus point, we don't even know what a bonus point is, let alone have any
Exeter aiming for the title got a LBP at home. :smt038
Apples and oranges and all that.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:00 pm
Chobbsy wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:12 am

Exeter aiming for the title got a LBP at home. :smt038
Apples and oranges and all that.
So you are saying that you would prefer no losing bonus point? Or would that extra point be quite nice at the moment? If as it seems we are going to be fighting for survival this season, I would gratefully accept any points we can get, but hey that's just my humble opinion
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I'm of course would be.
But at the same time we are talking about using England players and Baxter was mentioned as if his usage of them was the right call even though the result showed otherwise.

But hey yes Genge would've made all the difference that game 100% worth 40 points on his own.
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

DingDong wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:09 pm Just watched the first half on the PM website, embarrassingly poor in virtually every aspect. Tafua looked a decent unit, solid and aggressive character compared to the rest of the meek looking forwards. Reid is just not doing it at 10, slow, poor decision making and appalling handling. We look Championship more than Premiership.

As for Doyle, well and truly past it. Penalty for lifting a leg in a maul!!! Not illegal unless the maul collapses, just so inconsistent with so many calls, and not managing offsides or the breakdown any where near efficiently enough for a Premiership ref.
Well, admittedly with very low expectations, I've just watched the first half. At the 40 minute mark Tigers were 15-6 and pressing in the Irish 22, a bit of miscommunication in attack and Irish go the length and score. After that Tigers are chasing the game.

There were a lots of errors - the poor exit by Reid followed by indecision at the line-out led to Loaders try (plus the defender stepping in). Miscommunication in attack (or unfamiliarity with the calls?) lost a number of opportunities. But equally Tigers did have the opportunities - you can see they were trying to put pace on the game, but just weren't precise enough to carry it off. As others have pointed out, the stats are odd for being so soundly beaten. Tigers ran more metres, made almost double the passes and had the advantage in both possession and territory. Set piece went well, so the platform is there. They will be better when Ford and Manu return.

On the maul the Irish player lifted the player off his feet rather than one leg - I think the current briefing is to regard that as reckless (or as a tackle, and you can't tackle a maul), so IMHO Doyle got that right.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

kend wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:00 pm Set piece went well, so the platform is there. They will be better when Ford and Manu return.

There's only 4 games in the league before the six nations, 3 (Saints Chiefs Bristol) you'd have to be a bold soul to bet on us getting anything from. After that it's back to this lot.