England in the 6N

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: England in the 6N

Post by JP14 »

In the future, we could see the likes of James Grayson and Marcus Smith get capped for England too, everyone rates about the Vunipola cousin Manu but I would love him to play for Tonga they could really do with a young flyhalf of his standard.

Playing for U20s no longer ties you down to a nation, right?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

JP14 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:48 pm In the future, we could see the likes of James Grayson and Marcus Smith get capped for England too, everyone rates about the Vunipola cousin Manu but I would love him to play for Tonga they could really do with a young flyhalf of his standard.

Playing for U20s no longer ties you down to a nation, right?
My understanding is only if the U20s are the nominated second team and play against someone else who has the U20s as the nominated second team
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

That was my understanding too but I thought it changed, eliminating it outright?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I would want to rest Mako during the tournament to develop our options at loosehead, both Vunipola and Marler aren’t getting any younger and Ben Moon is 30, also unlikely to make the World Cup in France.

Therefore I would like to give more gametime to Ellis Genge and to uncapped Beno Obano as I fear the props could become a weakness for England in the future.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

In the future?

Loose head was a weakness for England already whilst Mako was playing in the World Cup.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

After Mako, Genge is undeniably next off the production line. However, after those two we are looking a bit bare at loosehead.

Obano is a great player, but has his injury issues. If he can stay fit he’s a massive talent, physical in attack and defence. Boyce is also a prospect but behind Obano at Bath.

Interesting the battle in the backrow. Wouldn’t be shocked if Ludlam didn’t make the grade. Earl and Willis have been tearing up trees.

Same with some of the established wingers. Thorley and Loader will be pushing for inclusion.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:38 pm After Mako, Genge is undeniably next off the production line. However, after those two we are looking a bit bare at loosehead.

Obano is a great player, but has his injury issues. If he can stay fit he’s a massive talent, physical in attack and defence. Boyce is also a prospect but behind Obano at Bath.

Interesting the battle in the backrow. Wouldn’t be shocked if Ludlam didn’t make the grade. Earl and Willis have been tearing up trees.

Same with some of the established wingers. Thorley and Loader will be pushing for inclusion.
Obano is a great player... :smt043
There aren't any great English props anymore, just a lot of fat centres and short locks.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

JP14 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:17 pm
I fear the props could become a weakness for England in the future.
They already are if Mako and Sinckler start. Neither can scrummage against decent opposition.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I was a fan of Boyce but I fear his progressed has digressed somewhat.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

JP14 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:48 pm In the future, we could see the likes of James Grayson and Marcus Smith get capped for England too, everyone rates about the Vunipola cousin Manu but I would love him to play for Tonga they could really do with a young flyhalf of his standard.
Given that he as born in New Zealand and lived in England since shortly after his birth I somehow doubt he would see his playing career as a Tongan international having played all his rugby in England and come up through the junior levels in England.

Some sides have managed to nominate their under 20 side as their second team and thus used it to tie players in.

Personally I don't think any player should be tied in to a country until they have played at a senior level.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Some people feel strongly about their heritage, Tonga need a quality flyhalf and I believe Vunipola is the solution.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

BFG wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:48 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:38 pm After Mako, Genge is undeniably next off the production line. However, after those two we are looking a bit bare at loosehead.

Obano is a great player... :smt043
There aren't any great English props anymore, just a lot of fat centres and short locks.
What's your gripe with Obano? I think he's a powerful scrummager and defender, and has carried really well for Bath recently.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Mako, Genge and Obano are three good looseheads, plus we don’t know whether Marler will retire or not.

Loosehead for me is a bigger weakness. Cole will likely retire and therefore we’ve only got Sinckler. Williams has never been great at test level. So we’ve got to hope Heyes and Painter come through and are given a chance.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:54 am Mako, Genge and Obano are three good looseheads, plus we don’t know whether Marler will retire or not.

Loosehead for me is a bigger weakness. Cole will likely retire and therefore we’ve only got Sinckler. Williams has never been great at test level. So we’ve got to hope Heyes and Painter come through and are given a chance.
Ellis Genge and Will Stuart.
In between highly rated Will Capon came on at hooker for Bristol at the weekend and their scrum instantly started moving forward, they went from losing to winning.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

If Bristol have a young highly-rated hooker coming through, perhaps we could have their old one back?