Tigers v Pau Saturday Nov 16th

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Tigers v Pau Saturday Nov 16th

Post by Robespierre »

Tigers are going to be in for a hell of a tough match!
Pau are now up to 3rd in the Top14 after their win at Bayonne, who are now 4th. I wonder if they'll send a first choice team or rest players for the next Top14 match at home to Toulon on the 30th?
In general here in France, the league has priority over the Challenge cup but I've a feeling that whatever team they send, Tigers will be up against it.
Sadly, I won't be able to be at Welford Road but should make the return match in January.
Semper in excretia
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Pau Saturday Nov 16th

Post by RagingBull »

would be amazed if they send their 1st team.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I would be amazed if the 3rd team they send look like they have any interest in the match, sadly. I hope to be amazed.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Shame, it would be cool to see Whitelock and Smith play at Welford Road. It's crazy when you look at an unrestricted French roster and see how ridiculously deep they are in every position.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Should be a good game nonetheless. Pau might target the Challenge Cup if they want absolute assurance of making the Heineken Cup next year but the Top 14 is an extremely attritional league and they will want to ensure that their squad stays fresh for their domestic league.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Pau??

This lot would struggle to best tinky-winky, la-la and dipsy......leave alone expletive Pau!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Its a pointless competition in my opinion any talk of winning it is for the birds. We should field the development team for Europe and save our first XV for the Saints match.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

When it comes to the away match, can we forget to bring the coaches back? Please?
Valhalla I am coming!
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

I'm wondering what the attendance will be, 10000 if we're lucky. Sadly another season which turns off the long term and younger fans. :smt022 :smt022
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Sorry but Pau is massive. Win, win,win. All games matter. If anyone thinks they don’t then Tigers will never turn things round. No use turning up at Saints on a losing run.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Genge and Lavanini should be ready to start against Pau. Hopefully Spencer, Reffell and Taute will be fit as well as they were training this past week.

If the world cup stars are rotated in then I hope Ford and Manu start this weekend as we are missing them massively in the midfield.

Of the youngsters I hope to see Reffell get a couple of starts, possibly with Thompson at 8 again as I like the pairing. Sam Lewis and Harry Simmons deserve a chance as well, I believe both are fit and training.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

Very much feels like being between a rock and a hard place.

To rest key players so that they are fit and fresh for the premiership.

Or to play a strong team to try and build confidence and integrate the internationals.

We'll probably end up doing something between the two. Either way we really need to stop the rot!
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Spicer wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:26 pm Very much feels like being between a rock and a hard place.

To rest key players so that they are fit and fresh for the premiership.

Or to play a strong team to try and build confidence and integrate the internationals.

We'll probably end up doing something between the two. Either way we really need to stop the rot!
There are several players hopefully returning from injury over the next two weeks which will help rotation.

Spencer, Reffell and Taute are training. Harry Simmons is fit and could offer something different in attack. Hopefully Polota-Nau and Liebenberg aren't long term knocks, any news on them? Don't think we've heard anything on the severity of Eastmond, Viljeon or Aspland-Robinson's knocks either so here's hoping for some good news...

The six-day turnaround makes it even less likely that Taufua will feature after his HIA. Veainu broke his nose against Gloucester so won't be available.

If we're looking to rotate during the Challenge Cup then the back-to-back games against Calvisano after the Saints game would be the ideal time. I'd happily see standouts from the development squad such as Martin, Costelow and Steward in the 23 for those two games.
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

Dear Mr Murphy

Please can you play the following team for the next 2 games.

1. Bateman
2. TPN
3. Gigena
4. Green (c)
5. Wells
6. Reffel
7. Coghlan
8. Boladau
9. White
10. Reid
11. Aspland-Robinson
12. Forsyth
13. Worth
14. EW Viljoen
15. Olowofella
16. Youngs
17. Cortez
18. Leatigaga
19. Green
20. Tuafua
21. Symonds
22. Hardwick
23. Eastmond

It will provide some of our younger players game time at a high level but also rest some of those for the more important relegation battle we have already found ourselves in. We need to concentrate on getting up the table so can I also ask the following team be picked against Northampton as a win there really could spark our season back to life. (injury allowing...)

1. Genge
2. Kerr
3. Cole
4. Spencer
5. Lavanini
6. Leibenberg
7. Thompson (c)
8. Tauafua
9. Youngs
10. Ford
11. May
12. Eastmond
13. Tuilagi
14. Veianu
15. Holmes
16. Youngs/TPN
17. Bateman
18. Leatigaga
19. Green
20. Kalamafoni
21. Harrison
22. Hardwick
23. Olewofella

Yours sincerely a loyal fan.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

For me Lavanini needs to play in these two games to get to grips with the English language, no better place to learn to be fair.
Claire and Kerr should be the hookers for these games, unless we are giving up on Kerr? I'd like Coughlan to be given some game time in the back row, and if he's fit Taute should start in the backs. Hardwick to play at 10, with Reid at 12. Genge to come back for the home game, and hopefully Simmons can get on the bench.

15. Jonah Holmes
14. Sam Apsland-Robinson (if fit)
13. Jaco Taute
12. Noel Reid
11. Jordon Olowofela
10. Tom Hardwick
9. Ben White
1. Ellis Genge
2. Jake Kerr
3. Nephi Leitigaga
4. Harry Wells
5. Tomas Lavanini
6. Jordan Coughlan
7. Tommy Reffell (if fit)
8. Sione Kalamafoni

16. Charlie Claire
17. Facundo Gigena
18. Gaston Cortes
19. Sam Lewis
20. Ifereimi Boladau
21. Harry Simmons
22. Jonny McPhillips
23. Freddie Steward

And then next week I'd bring Cole, Youngs, Ford and Manu back into the fold, off the bench to begin the reintergration, but with the squad rotated from the week before (injuries assuming)

15. Freddie Steward
14. Sam Apsland-Robinson
13. Joe Thomas
12. Jaco Taute
11. EW Viljoen
10. Tom Hardwick
9. Harry Simmons
1. Greg Bateman
2. Jake Kerr
3. Joe Heyes
4. Will Spencer
5. Tomas Lavanini