Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: London Irish vs Tigers

Post by sam16111986 »

chewbacca wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:56 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:32 pm Charlie Clare over Jake Kerr? I take it Kerr is carrying an injury
Or he is leaving.
I'd guess injury. If he's leaving we're going to be very short of hooker options come the summer.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:17 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:32 pm Charlie Clare over Jake Kerr? I take it Kerr is carrying an injury
Or he is leaving.
I'd guess injury. If he's leaving we're going to be very short of hooker options come the summer.
Now, that's how rumours start...
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

loretta wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:24 pm
Or he is leaving.
It could just be rotation, I thought Clare was Ok when he came on in his last game and I was not too impressed with Kerr in his last game. I believe it was he who completely missed that tackle from which they scored.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Chobbsy wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:10 pm
MCC1964 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:22 pm
Chobbsy wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:16 pm I have to say with the exception of Jordan Taufua I am pretty underwhelmed, I can't see us wining away, we need the new SA back fits, TV is also a huge loss :(
And many people were whingeing an wailing that we were going to get thrashed last week as well......
I totally agree I was one who thought that also, but I still do not think that it is a team that fills me with hope, PLEASE go ahead and prove me wrong, more than happy to be proved wrong again this week
Hmmm. I still don’t see why you should feel that way. Jonah H is a class act and I actually prefer him at fullback as he will get his hands on the ball much more than last week (not saying I wouldn’t want TV though). Jordan O had a good game last week and is one of the few players in the squad that has real wheels.

9, 10, 12 are the same as last week and did well. Jordan T is also a class act and I don’t think he will weaken the back row in Hanro’s absence. As I’ve already said 6 is Sioni’s preferred position and Guy T is a 7 for me and not an 8. The rest of the pack is more or less the same and did well against Glaws.

We have to give the larger squad game time and also rotate so although I’m not saying a win is guaranteed, I’m sure we can build on last week.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

loretta wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:24 pm
Or he is leaving.
TPN, Stevens and Youngs also out of contract in the summer as well I think. Would leave Clare the only senior hooker signed up for next season. TPN might get a one year deal on cheaper terms, Youngs will have a contract as long as he wants one and in his current form he has years left in him. Kerr you'd presume is the long term option.

Our scouts were rumoured to be over in Australia during the summer though and they've got some good, young and very physical hookers...
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

The performance against Gloucester gave me hope, but recent history tells me to be cautious.

Veainu is a big loss, although Holmes is an excellent player too it leaves us weaker on the wing and as a back 3 unit. Olowofela played really well last week, but the thought of him trying to tackle Naholo conjures images of Lomu vs Underwood.

Taufua mitigates the loss of Liebenberg and our pack looks strong, my main worry is that Myler and Jackson will control the game far better than their opposite numbers and Tigers will spend much of the game in the wrong part of the pitch.

Faint optimism is there, but my money would be on Irish.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:53 pm The performance against Gloucester gave me hope, but recent history tells me to be cautious.

Veainu is a big loss, although Holmes is an excellent player too it leaves us weaker on the wing and as a back 3 unit. Olowofela played really well last week, but the thought of him trying to tackle Naholo conjures images of Lomu vs Underwood.

Taufua mitigates the loss of Liebenberg and our pack looks strong, my main worry is that Myler and Jackson will control the game far better than their opposite numbers and Tigers will spend much of the game in the wrong part of the pitch.

Faint optimism is there, but my money would be on Irish.
I’d take Cipriani and Twelvetrees over Myler and Jackson...
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Liebenberg out might hurt our lineout I think he is our top lineout taker and was top of the league for lineouts won.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Is Taufua a lineout forward?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

JP14 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:23 am Is Taufua a lineout forward?
He's certainly been learning the calls this week plus he looks like he has the knee strappings on in his Instagram photos!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

The match is on NBC if anyone can access that?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Anyone else imagine that will be our first choice backrow when everyone is fit? Liebenberg on the bench.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:45 am Anyone else imagine that will be our first choice backrow when everyone is fit? Liebenberg on the bench.
Maybe there won't be a particular first choice and possibly in the last few years there has been too much of this. Hopefully GM is building a better overall squad so that there is always competition for places and players know they have to be consistently at their best to get a first pick.
As Good As It Gets
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:45 am Anyone else imagine that will be our first choice backrow when everyone is fit? Liebenberg on the bench.
I think 6 is tricky for Tigers fans because we have an extremely high bar in our recent memory in Tom Croft! Nevertheless, Sione Kalamafoni was excellent last season playing out of position and was a star at the RWC as blindside - his best position. When we signed him and not Ben Morgan, I was disappointed but our scouting team got that one spot-on imho. Liebenberg shows huge promise and looks very effective standing second in the line-out.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

strawclearer wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:49 am
I think 6 is tricky for Tigers fans because we have an extremely high bar in our recent memory in Tom Croft! Nevertheless, Sione Kalamafoni was excellent last season playing out of position and was a star at the RWC as blindside - his best position. When we signed him and not Ben Morgan, I was disappointed but our scouting team got that one spot-on imho. Liebenberg shows huge promise and looks very effective standing second in the line-out.
I think far too much was made about whether Kalamafoni should be playing 8 or 6. He's interchanged between the two positions for most of his career. He's even played a bit of lock. What's more important is who he is in the backrow with. Last season with Williams and Fitzgerald there was too much pressure for him to be covering the tight work and be a presence in the loose, he couldn't do both. Williams just didn't pull his weight and often drifted out looking for a big hit and then often got stepled. What we saw last weekend with Leibenburg doing a lot of the work in the tight alongside Green was that Kalamafoni was free to move further out in the line and make bigger hits and carries as he could get up to speed before the impact. Lavanini joined him as like a partner in crime when he came on to great effect.

I don't think we'll see a set backrow, should be a lot more rotation. If we get to the big games at the end of the season it might be Kalamafoni that comes off the bench, so far Leibenburg has been looking like the blindside we thought we'd get a few years back when we signed Williams. Impressed with his work rate and willingness to do the nuts and bolts work for the team.