Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: Borthwick

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Scuttle wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:45 am
RagingBull wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:36 am I reckon Borthwick is being viewed as the next England Head Coach, and he is going to use Tigers as a stepping stone potentially for that.

I can see Eddie staying till after the next RWC, Borthwick will have had 4 years experience as a Head Coach on top of his international Experience.
It sounds like a plan doesn't it? Although I could even see Gustard being next England Head Coach and borthwick after him; now that would be planning on the part of the RFU.
Yes it would be, wouldn't it? But can you really see the "old farts" at HQ thinking that far ahead?
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

It sounds like a plan doesn't it? Although I could even see Gustard being next England Head Coach and borthwick after him; now that would be planning on the part of the RFU.
Yes it would be, wouldn't it? But can you really see the "old farts" at HQ thinking that far ahead?
I wonder if one PJW formerly of the parish of LE2 might have some bearing on the outcome of this? He did have considerable impact on the development of professional rugby.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

TomWeston wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:17 pm
I wonder if one PJW formerly
Excuse my ignorance and some of the other users, but PJW......use of initials is not clear to all.........
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:53 pm
TomWeston wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:17 pm
I wonder if one PJW formerly
Excuse my ignorance and some of the other users, but PJW......use of initials is not clear to all.........
Peter John Wheeler
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

Peter John Wheeler
Currently President of the Rugby Farts Union, no less.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

TomWeston wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:38 pm
Peter John Wheeler
Currently President of the Rugby Farts Union, no less.
Ah yes.... I'd forgotten he'd gone there. Maybe some hope then. If only he'd stayed here I doubt we'd have got into the mess we've had the last few seasons.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Given that England's forwards were torn apart on Saturday and Tigers forwards tore Gloucester apart, do Tigers need Borthwick!
With Lavanini now here, Cole, Genge and Tuafua to come Borthwick would conveniently be stepping into a much better place than has been the case since Cockers asked for more quality forward recruits several years ago.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

BFG wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:25 pm Given that England's forwards were torn apart on Saturday and Tigers forwards tore Gloucester apart, do Tigers need Borthwick!
With Lavanini now here, Cole, Genge and Tuafua to come Borthwick would conveniently be stepping into a much better place than has been the case since Cockers asked for more quality forward recruits several years ago.
No longer the poisoned chalice, then? :smt017
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

BFG wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:25 pm Given that England's forwards were torn apart on Saturday and Tigers forwards tore Gloucester apart, do Tigers need Borthwick!
Not sure the selection of players was down to Borthwick. That was ultimately down to Jones who wanted a mobile pack. Whether others including Borthwick agreed I doubt we will ever know.

If Borthwick is coming we can only speculate if he has any input on the signings.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I felt we had gone into the South African game with the wrong mindset, regardless of selection, similar to the Three Lions against Croatia in the footie World semifinal, bit too arrogant, bit too English.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

JP14 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:54 pm ….. bit too arrogant, bit too English.
Sorry. That's absolute tosh. I'm sure they went in with a similar mindset to the All Blacks game (albeit a different gameplan which may be closer to the issue). Nobody accused them of being either of those things then. Try suggesting that to Gengy next week if you see him before/after the game.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I won’t need to question his mentality, he didn’t play in that game.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

IF if EJ is considering an extension to his contract, to take him to next W.Cup, wouldn't he want to keep Borthwick and Co.?
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Is he coming? is it official?
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

wellstiger wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:54 am IF if EJ is considering an extension to his contract, to take him to next W.Cup, wouldn't he want to keep Borthwick and Co.?
It is said that, potentially he and Gustard are being lined up as contenders for when EJ goes. So, presumably both will require experience as successful head coaches!