London Irish vs Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

London Irish vs Tigers

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Hopefully we can carry on from this weekend and get a good result away from home. I liked the dynamic of having a strong bench against Gloucester so I would go with:

Gigena Youngs (c) Leatigaga
Wells Green
Liebenberg Thompson
Kalamafoni
Harrison Hardwick
Reid Viljoen
Olowofela Veainu Holmes

Bateman TPN Heyes Lavanini Taufua White Taute Worth
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: London Irish vs Tigers

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:46 am Hopefully we can carry on from this weekend and get a good result away from home. I liked the dynamic of having a strong bench against Gloucester so I would go with:

Gigena Youngs (c) Leatigaga
Wells Green
Liebenberg Thompson
Kalamafoni
Harrison Hardwick
Reid Viljoen
Olowofela Veainu Holmes

Bateman TPN Heyes Lavanini Taufua White Taute Worth
Isn't Taute still injured? if recovered he is unlikely to be match fit and should, therefore, be a bench option at best. Forsyth has impressed more than Viljoen so far, so, for me, starts ahead of him. Reid went off with a calf injury so whether he is available depends on its severity. If unavailable Hardwick moves to 10 with, I assume, Worth covering and Eastmond, if recovered, goes to centre. He had an effective partnership with Forsyth against Exeter and has played outside Hardwick more regularly than Viljoen.
It would be nice to see Taufua in action but it may be a little early for him. Failing that based on Saturday Boladau looks a good bench option or maybe Reffell if he has recovered from his chest injury. I can see why you have selected the locks as you have as Wells did have a good game against Gloucester and should be rewarded for it and having the luxury of Lavinini as an impact player who is introduced gradually into the premiership is attractive. My personal preference is for Bateman to start at loosehead but I wouldn't argue if they go with your selection.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Bateman
Youngs
Leatigaga
Wells
Green
Liebenberg
Thompson
Kalamafoni
Harrison
Hardwick
Olowofela
Eastmond
Forsyth
Holmes
Veainu
TPN
Gigena
Heyes
Lavanini
Bolodau
Simmons
Reid
Taute
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Jacko27

Post by Jacko27 »

Do we assume that Genge will be unavailable? He has been training hard and, presumably, is super-fit but hasn't played for a month. Despite all the disappointment I would have thought he'd be keen to get back on the pitch.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Despite not playing there is still jetlag to get over, I’m not sure the England team are even back yet.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

I can't endorse the selection of Eastmond unless there is literally no other choice. He is simply far too injury-prone and the risk is not justified with the alternatives available.
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

Apparently the England team flew back into Heathrow this morning. I don't know if they have disbanded yet or gone to RFU HQ for debriefing and the inquests to start?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:49 pm Despite not playing there is still jetlag to get over, I’m not sure the England team are even back yet.
Quick Google search has him tweeting from the M4 a couple of hours ago. This weekend might be a weekend too soon but I'd imagine he'll want to get stuck back in. The others might need more rest.

I thought Gigena was very good off the bench again, probably deserves a start and giving Bateman the subs bench role will give him a little bit of rest after starting three on the trot.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I'd be inclined to give Genge a week or two off as well. Despite not playing it must have been a pretty intense environment and a bit of relaxation might be needed from a psychological point of view before coming back firing for Tigers.

The alternatives have done pretty well so no obvious need to rush him or Cole back for London Irish.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

On past form England may not have played Genge but will likely send him home injured!
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

1.Gigena 2.Youngs 3.Leatigaga 4.Wells 5.Green 6.Liebenberg 7.Thompson 8.Kalamafoni
9.Harrison 10.Hardwick 11.Holmes 12.Reid 13.Forsyth 14.Olowofela 15.Veainu

16.Polota-Nau 17.Bateman 18.Heyes 19.Lavanini 20.Reffell 21.Simmons 22.Taute 23.Worth

I'd go largely unchanged other than giving Gigena a start to target the scrum. I'd like to see us target their settled front row of Hobbs-Awoyemi, Fainga'a and Hoskins from the first three round. I'll be interested to see if Dell or Cilliers come in given how our scrum has gone.

Hopefully Genge, Spencer and Taufua will all be available against Pau so that we can rest a few players. With those 3 we could rotate out Bateman, Green and Liebenberg whilst keeping a strong pack. I'd happily see Reffelll and Boladau get starts in the Challenge Cup as well. Greater depth should let us use Thompson and Kalamafoni more sparingly to keep them fresh this season.

I think Viljeon has potential but would like to see him brought through in stronger back lines with Ford and Manu. Forsyth once again added more structure to the back line against Gloucester, same as he did against Worcester and Exeter in the PRC. He's no world beater but just does the basics very consistently.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

After this weekends performance I'd like to see some continuity in Tigers side and not too many changes.

Not sure if Irish will be deflated after their late loss at Saracens or hungry to atone for it.

Games like these will shape our revival - or not.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

ourla wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:11 am After this weekends performance I'd like to see some continuity in Tigers side and not too many changes.

Not sure if Irish will be deflated after their late loss at Saracens or hungry to atone for it.

Games like these will shape our revival - or not.
Fully agree, that’s why in my prediction I only made changes to the bench and the introduction of Eastmond to the starting lineup.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Eastmond on the bench for me.He may step up if we use him as an impact sub.
Please not to start the game.
Also believe we need to change as little as possible - continuity is the key now.
Build BUild BUIld BUILd BUILD.......... :smt023
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

JP Doyle is the man in the middle