Borthwick

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Borthwick

Post by sapajo »

fentiger wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:50 pm Sounding ever more likely, in todays Telegraph article about Steve Borthwick (some great insight about him from Flatman) it says he looks 'set to join Leicester Tigers after the world cup'!
I hope so but I fear that he will not arrive until after the six nations.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

It all depends on what the RFU want out of Borthwick to Tigers. For me it seems like a dress rehersal for the England job, in which he'll be in straight shoot out with Gustard. In that eventuallity, they'll surely want him to start ASAP to get as much experience as possible before Eddie leaves in 2021.

It could also come down to who they are planning on replacing him with. If theres a candidate they want that is immediately avaliable; then I'd expect him to leave England on Monday. Otherwise it could be that we have to wait until after the Six Nations. However, considering the position the club is in, I'd imagine that all this has been planned.

For what its worth; I don't think England are going to be expecting much from this Six Nations. Rest the World Cup players, and just don't finish bottom. In that case, I'd imagine Borthwick will start ASAP.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TTRITH wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:40 am It all depends on what the RFU want out of Borthwick to Tigers. For me it seems like a dress rehersal for the England job, in which he'll be in straight shoot out with Gustard. In that eventuallity, they'll surely want him to start ASAP to get as much experience as possible before Eddie leaves in 2021.

It could also come down to who they are planning on replacing him with. If theres a candidate they want that is immediately avaliable; then I'd expect him to leave England on Monday. Otherwise it could be that we have to wait until after the Six Nations. However, considering the position the club is in, I'd imagine that all this has been planned.

For what its worth; I don't think England are going to be expecting much from this Six Nations. Rest the World Cup players, and just don't finish bottom. In that case, I'd imagine Borthwick will start ASAP.
I'd have thought the 6N will be taken seriously with the summer tour being a development tour so the World Cup players will have a full summer off.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I would try and continue momentum in the Six Nations with perhaps giving players such as Earl, Willis, Smith and Earle a cap against Italy. What even is the tour this year?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:01 am I would try and continue momentum in the Six Nations with perhaps giving players such as Earl, Willis, Smith and Earle a cap against Italy. What even is the tour this year?
https://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/n ... an-in-2020

Two game tour of Japan. Great opportunity to give the non world cup players a couple of tough games to prove themselves.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

there is no reason Borthwick couldn't start immediately and still work with England in the 6N
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Except he can't, all England coaches have to be full-time now.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

JP14 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:44 pm Except he can't, all England coaches have to be full-time now.
Full Time at what exactly? outside of squad get togethers he has no one to coach
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Don’t think that England will rest players for the 6N this year.

They may have done so earlier this year for the World Cup but I doubt there would be any thought of treating the 6N as anything but the biggest competition outside of the World Cup for the Northern Hemisphere sides. A chance to chase a grand slam without worrying about development for the next World Cup.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:30 pm
JP14 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:44 pm Except he can't, all England coaches have to be full-time now.
Full Time at what exactly? outside of squad get togethers he has no one to coach
The England coaches all work one on one with EPS players outside of training cycles. View games, travel round clubs coaching individuals on how to improve personal performance.

It's not a new thing under Eddie either. Wig was tireless in working one on one with young front rowers especially.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Coaching - May be after 6N

Consultancy - Could start immediately after W.Cup

Speculation says coaching - nothing confirmed ( at this time)
Consultancy says no contract/breach and could move towards England position immediately.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

If you read the last couple of paras it sounds like Borthwick may be here before 6N. It is using RFU as source

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50280206
As Good As It Gets
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I reckon Borthwick is being viewed as the next England Head Coach, and he is going to use Tigers as a stepping stone potentially for that.

I can see Eddie staying till after the next RWC, Borthwick will have had 4 years experience as a Head Coach on top of his international Experience.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:36 am I reckon Borthwick is being viewed as the next England Head Coach, and he is going to use Tigers as a stepping stone potentially for that.

I can see Eddie staying till after the next RWC, Borthwick will have had 4 years experience as a Head Coach on top of his international Experience.
It sounds like a plan doesn't it? Although I could even see Gustard being next England Head Coach and borthwick after him; now that would be planning on the part of the RFU.
As Good As It Gets
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:36 am I reckon Borthwick is being viewed as the next England Head Coach, and he is going to use Tigers as a stepping stone potentially for that.

I think EJ's contract will be extended to next RWC. By the year before the RFU will have his replacement lined up. Gustard will have been at Quins for 4 seasons at that point (summer 2022) and Borthwick 3 seasons (assuming he comes here). One of those two will get the job unless something goes drastically wrong in the meantime.