Forward passes

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Forward passes

Post by northerntiger »

I know it has been discussed on here before, but would people agree it's getting worse? Every World Cup game I've seen features a few, ignored by both ref and commentators. I'm not talking about the old momentum debate we had on here, but balls which are blatantly forward.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Forward passes

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Not to mention the TMO who thought 'clearly forward pass' (Referee's comment very quickly after seeing it replayed once) was OK by him.

One example where the referee had the Cajones to shut the TMO up.

There do seem to be more being 'missed' or allowed, maybe it's a 'keep it fast and entertaining' directive?
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
SimonP in Surrey

Post by SimonP in Surrey »

I agree. During the RWC match viewings I haver often thought to myself how come the ref, touch judges, back room officials and the commentators don't think that was forward ? I wonder wether flat / very slightly forward is OK .. but there seem to be at least two or three per match. Maybe my reference point needs calibrating ?
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Welsh game yesterday, when the Welsh player, forget who it was, flipped it to AWJ, his pass to the next player was way forward.
Commentary went into raptures about the flip pass, totally ignored to forward one
SimonP in Surrey

Post by SimonP in Surrey »

Absolutely .. yes I recall that one.
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

time to return to the old definition " if it isn't clearly backwards then it's forward"
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Was making a remark about that, as I felt lots were being ignored, and literally a couple of seconds later a NZ pass went across the 22, about 2 metres or more forward, uncalled.
Afraid I am oldskool, I can forgive a Fatboy popping one up about a foot forward, but some of the stuff is taking the proverbial. Along with the over-runs and my favourite, the Richie breakdown leg sweep, almost all are adaptations of NZ originals.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

There do seem to be more allowed clearly forward passes these days. Not convinced about the arguments about direction of hands, momentum of the ball etc. As suggested not clearly backwards then its forward.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

chewbacca wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:28 pm There do seem to be more allowed clearly forward passes these days. Not convinced about the arguments about direction of hands, momentum of the ball etc. As suggested not clearly backwards then its forward.
It also seems like the refs are letting more go and checking them afterwards if a score happens. Obviously, if a score doesn't happen then they never get called so it seems counterproductive IMO.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:03 pm
chewbacca wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:28 pm There do seem to be more allowed clearly forward passes these days. Not convinced about the arguments about direction of hands, momentum of the ball etc. As suggested not clearly backwards then its forward.
It also seems like the refs are letting more go and checking them afterwards if a score happens. Obviously, if a score doesn't happen then they never get called so it seems counterproductive IMO.
Favours the attacking team slightly which these days with how fit and well organised defences are is no bad thing IMO.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

I wouldn't have such a problem if they weren't letting pretty obvious ones go! I don't think you should have to let the attacking team break the laws of the game to get an advantage...
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

I would rather 80 mins of scrums than allowing these blatant forward passes.
Speed the game up? Meh!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

There is a fixed point to work with - the pitch.

Arms move, players move but the pich doesn't.

Waffle about momentum is garbage. Likewise the direction of the hands. Tosh - Time to bring it to an end.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

mol2 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:23 pm There is a fixed point to work with - the pitch.

Arms move, players move but the pich doesn't.

Waffle about momentum is garbage. Likewise the direction of the hands. Tosh - Time to bring it to an end.
Absolutely if the ball is received in advance of where the pass was delivered from it's forward. End of.
I'm not cynical just experienced
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Even the commentators noticed some of the AB forward passes. I lost count. It's getting a bit like the way crooked feeds were ignored for so long they seem now to be an accepted part of the game