ENG vs NZ - RWC Semi

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

SimonP in Surrey

ENG vs NZ - RWC Semi

Post by SimonP in Surrey »

Bookies have NZ 7/17 vs ENG 13/5. Sounds about right. BUT I honestly think neither team have been properly tested for more than 15/20 mins max. That is the interesting bit. Team wise 10/12/13 I would go with Ford, Faz Manu as I thought (contrary to many) that Slade was very rusty other than his interception and perfect kick through for Mays try. So Slade would dropout of the 23 for me allowing Cokanasiga or Nowell to come in. Keep the starting pack the same starting Laws till 60 then bring on Kruis. The rest stays the same. Shame that Genges power running can't feature somehow in the 23.

Tactics wise NZ killed off Ireland for three reasons. One ... super physical, fast and accurate play at the breakdown. Two ... wide long accurate passing into the wider channels. Three ... Ireland were not really at the races, quite sloppy in most aspects of play imho. In Curry and Underhill plus Itoje ENG should come close (+/-) to even with NZ on reason One. Re Reason Two .. ENG will have noticed this of course and will attempt to close that space with even more emphasis than normal. On the last point of playing at full potential for 80 mins ENG have not fully done that yet ... but the fact that ENG are playing NZ means that in a strange way there could be less pressure than vs an AUS or WAL or IRE or even RSA. ENG have more power runners than NZ have played against for a while including RSA so could start to cause the NZ machine to stress. My call with my heart says ENG by 6. The bookies say NZ by 7 so there you go. RSA to beat WAL by 9 for me.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: ENG vs NZ - RWC Semi

Post by JP14 »

It will be close, the last fixture was decided by the tip of Lawes’ boot!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

SimonP in Surrey wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:13 pm Bookies have NZ 7/17 vs ENG 13/5. Sounds about right. BUT I honestly think neither team have been properly tested for more than 15/20 mins max. That is the interesting bit. Team wise 10/12/13 I would go with Ford, Faz Manu as I thought (contrary to many) that Slade was very rusty other than his interception and perfect kick through for Mays try. So Slade would dropout of the 23 for me allowing Cokanasiga or Nowell to come in. Keep the starting pack the same starting Laws till 60 then bring on Kruis. The rest stays the same. Shame that Genges power running can't feature somehow in the 23.

Tactics wise NZ killed off Ireland for three reasons. One ... super physical, fast and accurate play at the breakdown. Two ... wide long accurate passing into the wider channels. Three ... Ireland were not really at the races, quite sloppy in most aspects of play imho. In Curry and Underhill plus Itoje ENG should come close (+/-) to even with NZ on reason One. Re Reason Two .. ENG will have noticed this of course and will attempt to close that space with even more emphasis than normal. On the last point of playing at full potential for 80 mins ENG have not fully done that yet ... but the fact that ENG are playing NZ means that in a strange way there could be less pressure than vs an AUS or WAL or IRE or even RSA. ENG have more power runners than NZ have played against for a while including RSA so could start to cause the NZ machine to stress. My call with my heart says ENG by 6. The bookies say NZ by 7 so there you go. RSA to beat WAL by 9 for me.
Good analysis. I'm similarly optimistic, we don't have the skills they to but we have the organisation and fitness. Just hope somebody lights a fire under Daley, Mo'unga has the tactical kicking genius to really punish a wandering full back.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

We may not have the individual skills of the All Blacks, but I do feel we have the all round physical intensity to take them out of their stride in a way others perhaps don’t.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

SimonP in Surrey wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:13 pm Bookies have NZ 7/17 vs ENG 13/5. Sounds about right. BUT I honestly think neither team have been properly tested for more than 15/20 mins max. That is the interesting bit. Team wise 10/12/13 I would go with Ford, Faz Manu as I thought (contrary to many) that Slade was very rusty other than his interception and perfect kick through for Mays try. So Slade would dropout of the 23 for me allowing Cokanasiga or Nowell to come in. Keep the starting pack the same starting Laws till 60 then bring on Kruis. The rest stays the same. Shame that Genges power running can't feature somehow in the 23.

Don't think Cokanasiga should be selected, in defence the All Blacks winger would skin him, also he is very poor at turning for a ball kicked behind him. Nowell would be a much better option if changes had to be made, ie Watson to full back, Daly to bench.
SimonP in Surrey

Post by SimonP in Surrey »

Yes .. the Cockanasiga vs Nowell trade off is x-factor attack vs all round rugby ability including his (Nowell) noted flanker like attitude at breakdown. That being said Cockanasiga could just break one or even two tackles out wide to score crucial points. EJ will go Nowell first I think.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Nigel Owens ref and surprisingly Peyper has the other SF. Why not Barnes?!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Sorry Garces,Peyper was due to ref a semi but has been stood down. My mistake.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

simples - drop Slade and Daley.
I think the occasion has got to Slade - Daley for me is not good in defence.
If we dont the All Blacks will target these two for sure.
Jack Nowell for me to remain on for as long as poss.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

wellstiger wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:39 am simples - drop Slade and Daley.
I think the occasion has got to Slade - Daley for me is not good in defence.
If we dont the All Blacks will target these two for sure.
Jack Nowell for me to remain on for as long as poss.
Slade has been injured for all the friendlies and most of the pool games. I just don't think he's match sharp.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Eddie Jones is prone to make perverse selection decisions and seems to have certain favoured players in spite of their relative poor performance or perceived (by some) lesser ability. I'm expecting him to make a 'left-field' selection somewhere.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Barnes being saved for la finale?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

JP14 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:37 am Barnes being saved for la finale?
So you are assuming England don’t make it?
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Personally, REALLY hoping for Owens for the final!
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Disappointed to have Owens as ref, he peaked a few years ago and has been in decline since then. Too many odd decisions these days.

England will need to be more accurate than they have been and keep up the physical intensity for the full 80. Daly is a bit of a worry defensively but if the all blacks get through to your full back it's usually try time regardless. Nowell energy off the bench much more tempting for me in this match than Colanasiga. I suspect Slade will start again, he didn't do much wrong against Aus.

I do see the NZ midfield as a weakness, Lienert Brown was a bit erratic against Ireland and could be a point to target in both defence and attack.

An almost flawless performance from England will be required, NZ most likely to win but England have a shot. Huge game, can't wait to see it.