debate about high tackling

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: debate about high tackling

Post by DingDong »

I don't see any shoeing at the ruck any more, rarely see a dangerous challenge in the air these days, nor a spear tackle, no confusion with players there. So give it another few more months then finally the coaches/players mindsets will adapt as per the previous references and all this will be forgotten.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

DingDong wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:46 pm I don't see any shoeing at the ruck any more, rarely see a dangerous challenge in the air these days, nor a spear tackle, no confusion with players there. So give it another few more months then finally the coaches/players mindsets will adapt as per the previous references and all this will be forgotten.
Exactly. This 'you can't get rid of high tackles' rubbish is exactly what people said about the tackle from behind in football.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

The game is about contact and a contest for the ball, high or clothesline type tackles have always been illegal, a tackle round the neck is illegal, a tackle round the chest the then slips up maybe slips of the ball or perhaps the tackled person raises his arms or lowers his head making the tackle illegal. Then of course there are accidents two players with no intention to do so clash heads, a player commits to a tackle and the one to be tackled jumps in the air as he receives the ball, illegal tackle in the air? In another example a player leaping to catch a ball crashes into a static opposition man and tips over. The referee has to decide intent and in my opinion accept that sometimes things just happen with no blame attached otherwise the game is going to become touch or tag rugby. If you are not prepared for a certain amount of pain don't go near a rugby pitch.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

johnthegriff wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:30 pm The game is about contact and a contest for the ball, high or clothesline type tackles have always been illegal, a tackle round the neck is illegal, a tackle round the chest the then slips up maybe slips of the ball or perhaps the tackled person raises his arms or lowers his head making the tackle illegal. Then of course there are accidents two players with no intention to do so clash heads, a player commits to a tackle and the one to be tackled jumps in the air as he receives the ball, illegal tackle in the air? In another example a player leaping to catch a ball crashes into a static opposition man and tips over. The referee has to decide intent and in my opinion accept that sometimes things just happen with no blame attached otherwise the game is going to become touch or tag rugby. If you are not prepared for a certain amount of pain don't go near a rugby pitch.
There's intent but there also has to be something around having due care and attention to others around you. You might not intend to hurt someone, but you do something reckless and cause a dangerous situation. For example, jumping into the tackle - I was always told this was illegal as it's dangerous and you should be penalised for it (the attacker jumping into the tackle, not the defender).
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Rugby - a contact sport.
Rightly should protect players from high tackles and neck rolls.

If were not careful we will reduce the game to touch rugby and be dressed in hard hats, high vis jackets goggles and gloves so we don't break a nail. We can call it Millennial Rugby.
Also policed by 4 lines persons a Sir a TMO and a panel of 3 solicitors should there be a breach.

I'm kidding of course. ( just in case I'm taken seriously ) :smt019
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Jumping into a tackle is illegal, at the lower levels referees I have come across penalise wingers for leaping or skipping to prevent the tap tackle. Something that I do not see on TV.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

JP14 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:31 pm Jumping into a tackle is illegal, at the lower levels referees I have come across penalise wingers for leaping or skipping to prevent the tap tackle. Something that I do not see on TV.
I've never been sure about that last bit - that's jumping away from a tackle, not into one, surely?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

biffer wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:09 pm
JP14 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:31 pm Jumping into a tackle is illegal, at the lower levels referees I have come across penalise wingers for leaping or skipping to prevent the tap tackle. Something that I do not see on TV.
I've never been sure about that last bit - that's jumping away from a tackle, not into one, surely?
I see what you’re saying jumping to avoid being tackled but it’s pretty much the same thing

JP14 is correct jumping into a tackle, is against the laws of the game, can be dangerous and should be penalised more.
There was one looked at the other week but they decided that the player was jumping to catch a pass rather than jumping into the tackle
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

North and Thompstone, right in front of me. Totally North's deliberate jump at a static defender, Thompstone trying to get out of the way. And yes, North was spark out, he lied to avoid questions about concussion.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

jgriffin wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:50 pm North and Thompstone, right in front of me. Totally North's deliberate jump at a static defender, Thompstone trying to get out of the way. And yes, North was spark out, he lied to avoid questions about concussion.
Agreed - on both counts - he jumped into the tackle and should have been carded and he was out.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives