debate about high tackling

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

debate about high tackling

Post by wellstiger »

I understand the need for player welfare regarding this issue.

Saw the pundits on ITV debating this issue - they were stating that NO TACKLE SHOULD BE ATTEMPTED ABOVE THE WAIST LINE.
This is to protect from Head /neck injuries.
I have seen players with the ball now anticipating the hard hit and dropping into the tackle.

Secondly if we do rid above waist tackling from the game what happens when tackler hits head on knee or boot.
Do we then rid tackling altogether and have touch rugby.

I feel at present we need to protect players within the physical aspects of the game.
Sirs and TMO are struggling with this and some high hits are being missed ,some overly punished and at present I feel you have a better chance of winning the Lottery.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: debate about high tackling

Post by Tiglon »

I think the logic is this:

Use the laws to stop players going near other players' heads, let the players' own sense of self-preservation stop them from putting their own heads in danger.

Might work, might not.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Nipple line down simples ,waist down is asking for more trouble
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Underhill has had constant concussions tackling at the waist, also when a Rory Arnold has to tackle Cheslin Kolbe do you really expect him to be able to bend down and tackle him at the waist?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

For me this is not about tackling it is about hits, which to me, have been confused.

Tackling is getting the ball carrier down to ground using the arms, hits are knocking the player backward using anything available, more of the former and less of the second will return the game to normal players not just the heavily muscled beasts that are now dominating the game!

A bit more flare and a bit less grunt would make it a safer game and better to watch.

IMHO!!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

BengalTiger wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:38 am For me this is not about tackling it is about hits, which to me, have been confused.

Tackling is getting the ball carrier down to ground using the arms, hits are knocking the player backward using anything available, more of the former and less of the second will return the game to normal players not just the heavily muscled beasts that are now dominating the game!

A bit more flare and a bit less grunt would make it a safer game and better to watch.

IMHO!!
Just had this debate at school about the pro game being about contact, the amateur about eluding; the former begats big lumps, the latter more aerobic types. Still miss the speed of the old tackle-down- clear out - ball gone tempo, just not the stamping. And as far as tackles - match shirts with a luminescent band at boob height might help judgement.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

BengalTiger wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:38 am For me this is not about tackling it is about hits, which to me, have been confused.

IMHO!!
Yes, Yes and thrice YES! :smt023
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

IMHO!!
Totally agree with this and not just the force but the speed too.
I was thinking about when I was taught to tackle many moons ago. From the side it was shoulder to the top of the thigh, side of the face to the buttock, and squeeze arms around legs squeezing and sliding down till he falls over.
Head on, head to the side contact with him shoulder around the belly button and drive up and through so the bloke falls backwards.
IMO tackles, and the technique of hitting and wrapping has come about as the off load has become more prevalent in the game, and the need to stop this, I certainly think is what happened to the Irish player.
We don’t want to stop off loads, so tackle height and technique needs looking at, before a neck is badly broken or worse.

The skill level in the Japan v Scotland game was huge but I don’t remember any dangerous tackles, just the odd so called seat belt
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Ahh the cheek-to-cheek!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:32 pm

IMHO!!
Totally agree with this and not just the force but the speed too.
I was thinking about when I was taught to tackle many moons ago. From the side it was shoulder to the top of the thigh, side of the face to the buttock, and squeeze arms around legs squeezing and sliding down till he falls over.
Head on, head to the side contact with him shoulder around the belly button and drive up and through so the bloke falls backwards.
IMO tackles, and the technique of hitting and wrapping has come about as the off load has become more prevalent in the game, and the need to stop this, I certainly think is what happened to the Irish player.
We don’t want to stop off loads, so tackle height and technique needs looking at, before a neck is badly broken or worse.

The skill level in the Japan v Scotland game was huge but I don’t remember any dangerous tackles, just the odd so called seat belt
You didn't see the head on head tackle? Surely more dangerous than any shoulder on head tackle yet bizarrely completely legal according to the ref.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Now you say it yes I remember but maybe more of a clash of heads ??
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:11 am Now you say it yes I remember but maybe more of a clash of heads ??
Frankly, in the current climate, I was expecting a red. The tackler has the duty of care to make sure an impact with the head doesn’t happen. If he fails, especially with force, a red now seems to be the standard response. Spencer tackle on Taylor, for example. Gray wasn’t swinging around the player or blindsided, it was straight head on head. He was lucky not to get an early bath.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

loretta wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:39 am
Mark62 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:11 am Now you say it yes I remember but maybe more of a clash of heads ??
Frankly, in the current climate, I was expecting a red. The tackler has the duty of care to make sure an impact with the head doesn’t happen. If he fails, especially with force, a red now seems to be the standard response. Spencer tackle on Taylor, for example. Gray wasn’t swinging around the player or blindsided, it was straight head on head. He was lucky not to get an early bath.
Agree with what you say, but Mr Berry, who I thought had an excellent game, thought differently, and not aware of any citing.

Nic Berry unlucky not to get one of the quarter finals imho
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

This is the fiasco around what is legal/illegal,

What is acceptable challenge/unacceptable challenge.
Some Sirs/TMO letting it go - others penalising no yellow, some yellow and others red.

If they are having a time singing from the same hymn sheet - how can players adapt their game - Lottery

Quoting the rule book after the event in chat forums and by Tv pundits doesn't equate to what we see on pitch.

All this confusion---(-must go to an insurance site )

Yes all players have been coached regarding tackling - and as quoted, from juniors upwards, but heat of battle and all that !!!!!!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

they need to also write into Rugby law that lowering and leading with your head as the ball carrier is a penalty and yellow card if there is contact head to head, if you are asking tacklers to get lower, rightly, then ball carriers cannot be allowed to effectively cheat by putting their head at the height of the tackle