Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: PRC Round 3 - Bath vs Tigers

Post by Scott1 »

Hear hear!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Hell - get over yourselves.

We beat the Auld Enemy - rejoice.
Bask in the sunshine while we can. Games are won and lost by small margins usually down to interpretation. Its a game played and refereed by humans.
We had a great defensive effort , something lacking last season, we look a better attacking unit with different running lines.

Lets extol the positives please.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

wellstiger wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:06 am Hell - get over yourselves.

We beat the Auld Enemy - rejoice.
Bask in the sunshine while we can. Games are won and lost by small margins usually down to interpretation. Its a game played and refereed by humans.
We had a great defensive effort , something lacking last season, we look a better attacking unit with different running lines.

Lets extol the positives please.
:smt023 right with you!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

The tackler did not have hold of White until he hit the ground, White fell into another player who was not part of the tackle and did not hold White therefore a try. The referee as we all know is always right, especially when giving a decision that favours Tigers.
To quote Mr Boyce " I know cos I was there. "
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

BFG wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:38 am
h's dad wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:53 am
ATigerinAfrica wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:29 pm While it might be deemed unsporting to ruin a good argument with facts, the laws do state clearly that a player must be brought to ground AND held in order for a tackle to have taken place.

Thus, a player 'ankle tapped' or in any way otherwise brought to ground who is not ALSO being held, is not tackled and laws relating to the tackle do not apply.

Equally, a player who is held but NOT also grounded is not tackled.

Thus we might refer to a tap 'tackle' or choke 'tackle' but these are colloquialisms rather than tackles in a (rugby) legal sense.

Now, sir, hand me my coat....
This. Law 14. Pretty straightforward, even for me. Are you sure some of you guys have played, or even seen, a game of rugby?
The law is straightforward.
Interpretations and applications and twisted arguments are not.
A tackler needs to have a hold of the tackled player until brought to ground, at which point the tackler must let go.
Bath 13 brings White to ground, White doesn't release the ball to get up and go again, so it's not a try.
It is very straightforward.
And he is clearly not held so there is no tackler to let go and no requirement to release the ball. It is not an interpretation and it is not twisted.. The only hold is when White actually goes over the line, which for clarity, is not grounds for disallowing a try.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

I wonder if BFG stands for Bath's Favourite Grumpy and that is why he/she is working so hard to deny White a perfectly good try 😂😂
As Good As It Gets
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Scuttle wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:29 pm I wonder if BFG stands for Bath's Favourite Grumpy and that is why he/she is working so hard to deny White a perfectly good try 😂😂
Please see my earlier post about pink skies
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Mark62 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:31 pm
Scuttle wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:29 pm I wonder if BFG stands for Bath's Favourite Grumpy and that is why he/she is working so hard to deny White a perfectly good try 😂😂
I thought you said seas?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

h's dad wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:53 pm
Mark62 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:31 pm
I thought you said seas?
I did but then I can’t remember what happened an hour ago :smt046
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Here we go. I’ve read the law properly now. Law 14.3 clearly explains why a player who is tap tackled, can play on.

14.3 Being held means that a tackler must continue holding the ball-carrier until the ball-carrier is on the ground.

https://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=14&language=EN
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

He doesn't have to be on the ground,only one knee has to touch the ground.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:14 pm Here we go. I’ve read the law properly now. Law 14.3 clearly explains why a player who is tap tackled, can play on.

14.3 Being held means that a tackler must continue holding the ball-carrier until the ball-carrier is on the ground.

This is where the law needs changing. Too often players get away with getting up and carrying on when the tackler releases. The tackler is in a dilemma whether to hold on to demonstrate the player is held yet risk being penalised for not releasing.

For me it should be that if you are brought down then you should be obliged to release the ball and return to your feet before playing on irrespective of whether you are held or not. Takes away the doubt and interpretation. May frustrate those who are caught by a tap tackle but that may be the price for clarity.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

I’d say that the part that says the tackler must hold the ball carrier until he is on the ground covers the part where a player can carry on from a tap tackle as the tackler hasn’t held him whilst the tackled player falls to the floor.

All of the referees in every match I’ve seen or played in over the last 20 years cannot be wrong.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

mol2 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:44 pm
TigerBoy1880 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:14 pm Here we go. I’ve read the law properly now. Law 14.3 clearly explains why a player who is tap tackled, can play on.

This is where the law needs changing. Too often players get away with getting up and carrying on when the tackler releases. The tackler is in a dilemma whether to hold on to demonstrate the player is held yet risk being penalised for not releasing.

For me it should be that if you are brought down then you should be obliged to release the ball and return to your feet before playing on irrespective of whether you are held or not. Takes away the doubt and interpretation. May frustrate those who are caught by a tap tackle but that may be the price for clarity.
Some people will always be confused or in disagreement, There didn't seem to be much in the way of doubt on the pitch and even the Bath fans on their forum seem happy with it - I've only seen one Bath query of the White try and couple of others said it was fine and the matter was dropped.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

The try was for us,not against us right? 🤔